Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you save 1,000 embryos or one child in fire?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM
  • 42 Replies
Sci-fi writer baffles abortion foes with simple question: Would you save 1,000 embryos or one child in fire?

Science fiction author Patrick S. Tomlinson this week explained how opponents of abortion rights can be shut down with one simple question about whether 1,000 embryos are more important than the life of a single child.

ADVERTISING

In a series of tweets on Monday, Tomlinson revealed the scenario that he says has repeatedly stumped so-called pro-life activists.

Tomlinson said that he asks abortion opponents whether it makes more sense to save one child from a burning building or a vial of 1,000 embryos.

“They will never answer honestly, because we all instinctively understand the right answer is “A.” A human child is worth more than a thousand embryos. Or ten thousand. Or a million. Because they are not the same, not morally, not ethically, not biologically,” he wrote. “This question absolutely evicerates their arguments, and their refusal to answer confirms that they know it to be true.”

“No one, anywhere, actually believes an embryo is equivalent to a child. That person does not exist. They are lying to you,” he added.

Report Advertisement
On Tuesday, Tomlinson said that he woke up to a “thousand” of new followers.

“Holy crap,” he wrote. “I literally wake up and there’s another thousand of you. Welcome new followers. I write books and yell at the alt-right on social media.”

by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissAndree
by Ronita on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
The child, of course.
Schauseil
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:54 PM
10 moms liked this
This is a false equivalence. No embryos and children are not the same. Just as children and adults are not, adults and the very old, the sick and the healthy, relatives and non relatives, etc. Just because they are not the same does not mean they are not all valuable and should not be saved when possible. "Saved when possible" being the key words. Yes I am pro-choice, although elective abortions past the first trimester sicken me. But even a fetus in the third trimester is different and has a different value than myself or my living children. If I HAD to choose, I would choose my living children. If I Had to choose between my living children and someone else's children I'd choose mine. If I had to choose between my mom or my grandmother I'd choose my mom. Between myself and my mom, well I'd still choose my mom. But you get where I am going with this. Yes all life is valuable and being able to make sensible choices in a hypothetical situation doesn't change that.
Mrs_Sweet
by Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:29 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree. False equivalence. The only situation this would be comparable to is when continuing to carry a child would risk the life of the mother, and you have to choose between the mother and the unborn child. This doesn't really resolve the pro-choice/anti-abortion debate.

Quoting Schauseil: This is a false equivalence. No embryos and children are not the same. Just as children and adults are not, adults and the very old, the sick and the healthy, relatives and non relatives, etc. Just because they are not the same does not mean they are not all valuable and should not be saved when possible. "Saved when possible" being the key words. Yes I am pro-choice, although elective abortions past the first trimester sicken me. But even a fetus in the third trimester is different and has a different value than myself or my living children. If I HAD to choose, I would choose my living children. If I Had to choose between my living children and someone else's children I'd choose mine. If I had to choose between my mom or my grandmother I'd choose my mom. Between myself and my mom, well I'd still choose my mom. But you get where I am going with this. Yes all life is valuable and being able to make sensible choices in a hypothetical situation doesn't change that.
zandhmom2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Thank you so much for this analysis.

Quoting Schauseil: This is a false equivalence. No embryos and children are not the same. Just as children and adults are not, adults and the very old, the sick and the healthy, relatives and non relatives, etc. Just because they are not the same does not mean they are not all valuable and should not be saved when possible. "Saved when possible" being the key words. Yes I am pro-choice, although elective abortions past the first trimester sicken me. But even a fetus in the third trimester is different and has a different value than myself or my living children. If I HAD to choose, I would choose my living children. If I Had to choose between my living children and someone else's children I'd choose mine. If I had to choose between my mom or my grandmother I'd choose my mom. Between myself and my mom, well I'd still choose my mom. But you get where I am going with this. Yes all life is valuable and being able to make sensible choices in a hypothetical situation doesn't change that.

Mrs.KAZ
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
This is really a non starter, who would not save a child?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM

The child, of course.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM

LOL

Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM

The child.

Dragonblue
by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
An embro in a vial isn't the same as a pregnancy either. Would you save 1000 healthy pregnancys or one child would be much harder to answer
HOT4TCHR
by Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:11 PM

You're correct of course.  But the point is to make folks think.  And that it does.

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)