Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some Americans may need a passport to fly domestically in 2018

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
  • 9 Replies
Beginning January 22, 2018, some US residents may need to carry a passport to fly domestically.
The move is part of the Real ID Act, which requires states to issue driver's licenses that comply with federal standards.
Some US residents may need to bring a passport with them to fly domestically in 2018.

The Transportation Security Admission will stop accepting driver's licenses that don't comply with the Real ID Act beginning January 22, 2018. The act requires states to adopt certain federal standards for issuing and producing licenses.

That act was passed in Congress in 2005 in the aftermath of 9/11, but enforcement has been rolling out in stages since 2013. Proponents say the move will enhance national security and cut down on identity theft.

So far, 25 states are compliant with the Real ID act, according to the TSA's website. That means residents in states like Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico can continue to board domestic flights with their driver's license as their main form of identification.

The federal government granted extensions to several states in 2016, giving them extra time to comply with the act before the January 2018 enforcement date. The Department of Homeland Security is currently reviewing those extension requests and will update the TSA webpage as they are granted.

Currently, states like New York, California, and New Jersey are having their extension requests reviewed. If they are not granted by January 22, residents will need a passport to travel on domestic flights.

All of this means is that it's still too early to tell whether your driver's license will be a valid form of identification on domestic flights, as the TSA is still reviewing most extension requests. But you may want to prepare anyway and look into getting a new passport or making sure your current one is up-to-date.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tsa-stop-accepting-driver-license-flights-states-2017-10
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I always use my passport as ID when I fly. Even domestically.
ILive4This
by Robin on Oct. 19, 2017 at 1:55 AM
Same

Quoting VooDooB: I always use my passport as ID when I fly. Even domestically.
D-Town
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:21 AM

You will only need a passport if you don't have the enhanced "I'm not a terrorist" ID card. If you have the enhanced "I'm not a terrorist" ID, that will serve as a mini-passport. With it, you can gain entry into Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean without having a full passport. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:32 AM
In my state they are fighting this. There is bi-partisan agreement that people should be able to travel domestically with a state ID. I used to be able to get into Canada and Mexico with my drivers license as well, but not anymore.
I will probably get the enhanced ID but I haven't yet due to the only place to get it being a half hour away and only open during times when I work. It's easier but much more expensive to get a passport, another thing I keep wanting to do but keep putting off due to the fact I never go overseas. But I do fly domestically sometimes so I will probably have to get one or the other soon.
Btamilee2753
by Lee on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:33 AM

If it helps to keep us safer, no big deal to me.  

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM
In Michigan we have until 2020 to get the new ID or you will not be able to fly or enter a military base.
rockymtngirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:27 AM
I have no problem with this. It keeps us safer.
atlmom2
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM
I have both.
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM
I use my passport for pretty much everything.
So it doesn't affect me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)