Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

John Kelly supports Trump and opens up about his own son's death.

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM
  • 171 Replies
5 moms liked this

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/us/politics/john-kelly-son-trump.html

I've linked to the full article. but here are some excerpts:

WASHINGTON — John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, delivered an emotional, personal defense of President Trump’s call this week to the widow of a slain soldier, describing the trauma of learning about his son’s death in Afghanistan and calling the criticism of Mr. Trump’s call unfair.

Mr. Kelly said that he was stunned to see the criticism, which came from a Democratic congresswoman, Representative Frederica S. Wilson of Florida, after Mr. Trump delivered a similar message to the widow of one of the soldiers killed in Niger. Mr. Kelly said afterward that he had to collect his thoughts by going to Arlington National Cemetery for more than an hour.

In a remarkable, somber appearance in the White House briefing room, Mr. Kelly, a retired Marine general whose son Second Lt. Robert Kelly was slain in battle in 2010, said he had told the president what he was told when he got the news.

“He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed,” Mr. Kelly recalled. “He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1 percent. He knew what the possibilities were, because we were at war.”

He said that presidents often are not among those who call family members directly, and he confirmed what Mr. Trump had alluded to publicly this week: that former President Barack Obama had not called him after Lieutenant Kelly was killed.

“That was not a criticism, that was simply to say I don’t believe President Obama called,” Mr. Kelly said, adding that President George W. Bush and other presidents did not always make personal phone calls to family members. He said Lieutenant Kelly’s friends in Afghanistan called him in the hours after his son died.

Mr. Kelly expressed frustration and even anger at the fact that the conversation between Mr. Trump and Sergeant Johnson’s widow was exposed to the world by Ms. Wilson, a friend of the family, who was in the car with the family when the president’s call came in.

“I thought at least that was sacred,” Mr. Kelly said, expressing dismay at other aspects of society that were no longer sacred, including women, religion and Gold Star families.

Ms. Wilson had publicized her criticism of Mr. Trump’s call, saying that the president had told Sergeant Johnson’s widow that he “knew what he signed up for,” and that the family was offended by Mr. Trump’s words.

Mr. Kelly said that Mr. Trump had tried, in the call, to express what Mr. Kelly had talked to him about ahead of time — that people like her husband were doing what they loved, and what they had chosen to do, when they were killed serving the country.

by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
handy0318
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Looking at this and listening to the live reports, apparently Trump told the widow of Sgt. Johnson what Kelly had suggested he say, "In the best way that he could."

This link carries the live appearence by Kelly:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/356266-john-kelly-stunned-at-description-of-trumps-call-to-soldiers-widow

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM
11 moms liked this
Handy, I know that you and I disagree and you are not a Trump supporter.
But thank you for posting this.
This gives an entire different view on this. I will believe General Kelly's view on the conversation before I believe a vengeful congresswoman.
General Kelly's interpretation is what I think actually happened and the congresswoman got it twisted.
billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM
4 moms liked this
I also believe that Trump was trying to say something and he stumbled. He did not mean it in a disrespectful or hateful way.
How dare this congresswoman put this family through this.
handy0318
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM
10 moms liked this

In a conversation we had yesterday on this subject, you had mentioned that the congresswoman may have manipulated, even exploited the family members of Sgt. Johnson. 

I think you may be right. 

And you're right... I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but I'm beginning to agree that this story was exploited by Wilson.

Quoting billsfan1104: Handy, I know that you and I disagree and you are not a Trump supporter. But thank you for posting this. This gives an entire different view on this. I will believe General Kelly's view on the conversation before I believe a vengeful congresswoman. General Kelly's interpretation is what I think actually happened and the congresswoman got it twisted.

DJDNY
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree thank you for posting this.

DJDNY
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel that she did.  That phone call to The View is what convinced me.

Quoting handy0318:

In a conversation we had yesterday on this subject, you had mentioned that the congresswoman may have manipulated, even exploited the family members of Sgt. Johnson. 

And you're right... I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but I'm beginning to agree that this story was exploited by Wilson.

Quoting billsfan1104: Handy, I know that you and I disagree and you are not a Trump supporter. But thank you for posting this. This gives an entire different view on this. I will believe General Kelly's view on the conversation before I believe a vengeful congresswoman. General Kelly's interpretation is what I think actually happened and the congresswoman got it twisted.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM
4 moms liked this
I honestly believe that what Kelly said was what Trump was trying to say. It might have come out exactly that way, because this is new to Trump. He is fumbling and probably made a mistake. I don't think Trump did it to hurt her or disrespect her at all.
I feel sorry for this family. They should be grieving and planning to say goodbye, and now they have to field media to talk about Trump. Not one person is talking about this soldier or the other soldiers.
It just breaks my heart.
And I understand why Trump went on the defensive. I would too. But he has to let someone like Kelly to defend him. Let him take care of it.

Quoting handy0318:

Quoting billsfan1104: Handy, I know that you and I disagree and you are not a Trump supporter.
But thank you for posting this.
This gives an entire different view on this. I will believe General Kelly's view on the conversation before I believe a vengeful congresswoman.
General Kelly's interpretation is what I think actually happened and the congresswoman got it twisted.

Sweet_Faith
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for posting this.
nb34
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

So basically he did say exactly what the congresswoman said he said. Just becasue this is what Kelly was told too, doesn't make it any better. It's still a pretty disgusting thing to say, whether Kelly told him to say it, or the little voice in his head told him to. Pretty disgusting. This just reaffirms that the congresswoman was telling the truth.

MonarchMom22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:19 PM
6 moms liked this

All of this underscores that the loss of our military should never be used for polictical points. It was not right for the President to use it for criticism of President Obama,  it was not right to use the loss of General Kelly's son to make a point, it was not right to  publically argue about the condolence call to this widow. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)