Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Melania Trump

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2017 at 9:28 PM
  • 92 Replies

Melania Trump is taking an active role in the White House, traveling with the president and making appearances, but her East Wing team is still a thinly-staffed operation.

While Michelle Obama had 16 people on her payroll, Melania has only four, totaling their salaries at only $486,700. By comparison, Michelle’s team raked up $1.24 million in total salaries.

The July report that the White House published listed the staffers, though there are also a few behind the scenes assistants to the first lady. A spokeswoman for the first lady says that her crew is kept intentionally small, telling Fox News in an email, “it is important to her that the team is a good fit for what she wants to accomplish as first lady, and that everyone works well together.

She also wants to be mindful and responsible when it comes to taxpayer money.” 

Alex ThomasAbout the author:

Alex is from Delaware. He lives in DC.
by on Oct. 21, 2017 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coleysmama
by Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 9:32 PM
14 moms liked this

She has 9 on her staff now. But seriously, she does the bare minimum of all modern day First Ladies. Why does she even require 9? 

Even the Fox report admits that it is probably due to her not living at the White House, compared to Michelle Obama and her initiatives.

If she were truly mindful of the taxpayers, she would have moved out of her golden tower sooner. 

msb64
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 9:36 PM
10 moms liked this

I think the size of her team absolutely demonstrates what she wants to accomplish. 

MissAndree
by Ronita on Oct. 21, 2017 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting msb64:

I think the size of her team absolutely demonstrates what she wants to accomplish. 

PPCLC
by Lisa on Oct. 22, 2017 at 1:32 AM
3 moms liked this

It took her until the summer time to move into the WH and due to both her and the President wanting to keep their son Barron in his school for the remainder of the year.

She's starting her FLOTUS focus a little late but she is not alone. Several former First Ladies did the same.

I think it's admirable that she appears to not want a larger than necessary staff. Hopefully this continues.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 1:42 AM
Glad to see one Trump has a sense of fiscal responsibility
BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:37 AM

Quoting coleysmama:

She has 9 on her staff now. But seriously, she does the bare minimum of all modern day First Ladies. Why does she even require 9? 

Even the Fox report admits that it is probably due to her not living at the White House, compared to Michelle Obama and her initiatives.

If she were truly mindful of the taxpayers, she would have moved out of her golden tower sooner. 

Actually, Melania does not do the "bare minimum" of all of the First Ladies.She visited every scene of a disaster with the President ... Texas, Florida, Puerta Rico, and La Vegas. She has been by Trump's side every step of the way ... and she planned and hosted the Governor's Ball, and the Easter Egg Roll, visited a battered women's shelter, children's hospitals, schools, given speeches, hosted women's luncheons, military families, hosted a meeting on the opiod epidemic, met with Prince Harry and Justin Trudeau, met with NATO wives, and more in less than a year.

Michelle Obama did quite a bit, but she did not do some of the things that Melania has done ... so I wouldn't minimize Melania. She is a wonderful First Lady.

Flashback: Where Michelle Obama Was After Hurricane Sandy

Ever since Melania Trump went down to Texas to help her husband with the White House’s response to Hurricane Harvey, the media has been eviscerating her — particularly on her high heels.

The whole kerfuffle began with a piece on Vogue by a “fashion expert” who vaguely resembles Pennywise from “It.” The contumely went far beyond there, though, until even The New York Times got in on it.

Never mind, of course, that Melania changed into sneakers on the plane; the fact she was wearing stilettos in dry-as-a-bone Washington, D.C. was all anyone in the media could talk about.

Now, during Barack Obama’s presidency, the first family faced a similar situation when Hurricane Sandy hit the Northeast. So, what did Michelle Obama wear when she visited the affected area? Nothing.

No, she didn’t appear at the site of a natural disaster in the altogether n fact, she didn’t didn’t appear at all.

As Independent Journal notes, Hurricane Sandy was so pressing an agenda item for Michelle Obama that she stayed in Chicago and sent out fundraising emails while the Eastern Seaboard was underwater.  

BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:42 AM

Quoting msb64:

What did Michelle Obama accomplish with the size of her team that she needed twice as much staff as Melania?

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel sympathy for Melania.
I don't know how anyone would have the strength to cope with being the First Lady , particularly being the wife of THIS President.
I wish her luck .
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:50 AM
https://www.biography.com/.amp/people/michelle-obama-307592

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting msb64:

What did Michelle Obama accomplish with the size of her team that she needed twice as much staff as Melania?

BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:55 AM

Quoting GrayDuck41: I feel sympathy for Melania. I don't know how anyone would have the strength to cope with being the First Lady , particularly being the wife of THIS President. I wish her luck .

Melania is coping beautifully. She and Trump have become a great team.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)