Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Net Neutrality vote coming up

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM
  • 9 Replies

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
No, No, No, No!

Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society. Well; unless of course, you think free enterprise and having an open society is bad thing, than I can understand why people would support net neutrality.

Let me simply put it to folks in a simple way.

Imagine trying to open an Ice Cream Shop and the government coming in and demanding that the only flavor you can serve is vanilla.

That's simply what net neutrality is all about; no matter what the proponents say about it, in their support (lies?) of net neutrality it is all about having "one size fits all" and as such, allows the "haves" continue their dominance over the "haves not."

Let's rinse and repeat.

:)
meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2017 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Figures they'd be trying this. I remember when we first got satilite, we were able to view east coast stations as well as west coast ones. It was really nice since if two shows we liked were on at the same time, we could watch one by viewing it on the east coast station, then watch the other at it's regular west coast time, instead of having to choose which one we would watch. 

Then, of course, the cable companies threw a hizzy fit, claimed it was unfair and damaging their business, etc., etc. and sadly they won. 

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2017 at 4:31 AM

You're backward on your understanding of Net Neutrality. 

Net neutrality prevents the ISP companies from charging based on usage. Without net neutrality, those who are poor and have gotten rid of cable for a cheaper streaming option will pay more for their internet than someone who still gets their t.v. from one of the major providers. It also prevents the ISP companies from curtailing your internet for what you post online. 

It should be a red flag to anyone that the only people who support the rolling back of net neutrality rules are the ISP companies. 

Quoting Donna6503: No, No, No, No! Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society. Well; unless of course, you think free enterprise and having an open society is bad thing, than I can understand why people would support net neutrality. Let me simply put it to folks in a simple way. Imagine trying to open an Ice Cream Shop and the government coming in and demanding that the only flavor you can serve is vanilla. That's simply what net neutrality is all about; no matter what the proponents say about it, in their support (lies?) of net neutrality it is all about having "one size fits all" and as such, allows the "haves" continue their dominance over the "haves not." Let's rinse and repeat. :)

I want any young men who buy a gun to be treated like young women who seek an abortion. Think about it: a mandatory 48-hours waiting period, written permission from a parent or a judge, a note from a doctor proving that he understands what he is about to do, time spent watching a video on individual and mass murders, traveling hundreds of miles at his own expense to the nearest gun shop, and walking through protestors holding photos of loved ones killed by guns, protestor who call him a murderer.
After all, it makes more sense to do this for young men seeking guns than for young women seeking an abortion. No young woman needing reproductive freedom has ever murdered a roomful of strangers.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2017 at 4:40 AM

Quoting Donna6503: No, No, No, No! Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society. 

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I know Clair; that my answer back, will be a bit narrow to an American bias, but I do feel it will apply, After all, you folks with the funny looking doorknobs drive on the wrong side of the road (but, you guys are keeping chivalry alive now, by driving on the wrong side)

Net Neutrality which greatly limit differentiation and/or how to prioritize of internet traffic by ISP companies. In the US this limit will be enforced by the FCC. In the US, this is making the internet regulated like a telecommunication service.

When the FCC dominated telecommunication service; phone service sucked in this country. We ended with one giant (useless) one phone company, AT&T. It was so bad; President Carter started to dismantle the giant and by the mid '80s the (partial) breakup was complete. With a few large regional phone companies in place. It still sucked; you still wasn't allowed to own your phone (it was rented to you by the phone companies) rotary dial phones where still common place throughout the country at the end of the Reagan Administration, even though digital phones were functional and in use for over decade and a half in this nation.

Then it took more governmental actions to lessen the grip of the FCC to allow people to even buy better and cheaper phone, to choice their phone companies for long distance service of their phone.

It took this country nearly three decades to get FCC bureaucrats to lower their dominance over phone and telecommunication services. Once that was done, phone service is this country expanded like no other industry in history. We have better phones, service, and quality by just forcing the FCC to loosen it's grip on telecommunication rules.

Yet; the excuse for this crappy control of the FCC over telecommunication service is the same as "net neutrality" to ensure equal access and priority for all.

Net Neutrality will just make the internet another part of the realm of telecommunication services and to regulated as such. So no, the internet doesn't need to be treated as a phone company and shouldn't be controlled by the FCC.

Allow me to state this clearly; there's no need to force the internet into some crappy regulated company with lousy, too expensive to use, telecommunication company one must deal with, like the crap we had in the '70s, So no, there's no reason to put the internet into that realm because of the notion of "equal access to all."

There's nothing good, and I repeat, nothing good about net neutrality!!!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Donna6503: No, No, No, No!

Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society. 

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Oct. 24, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Quoting Donna6503: I know Clair; that my answer back, will be a bit narrow to an American bias, but I do feel it will apply, After all, you folks with the funny looking doorknobs drive on the wrong side of the road (but, you guys are keeping chivalry alive now, by driving on the wrong side) Net Neutrality which greatly limit differentiation and/or how to prioritize of internet traffic by ISP companies. In the US this limit will be enforced by the FCC. In the US, this is making the internet regulated like a telecommunication service. When the FCC dominated telecommunication service; phone service sucked in this country. We ended with one giant (useless) one phone company, AT&T. It was so bad; President Carter started to dismantle the giant and by the mid '80s the (partial) breakup was complete. With a few large regional phone companies in place. It still sucked; you still wasn't allowed to own your phone (it was rented to you by the phone companies) rotary dial phones where still common place throughout the country at the end of the Reagan Administration, even though digital phones were functional and in use for over decade and a half in this nation. Then it took more governmental actions to lessen the grip of the FCC to allow people to even buy better and cheaper phone, to choice their phone companies for long distance service of their phone. It took this country nearly three decades to get FCC bureaucrats to lower their dominance over phone and telecommunication services. Once that was done, phone service is this country expanded like no other industry in history. We have better phones, service, and quality by just forcing the FCC to loosen it's grip on telecommunication rules. Yet; the excuse for this crappy control of the FCC over telecommunication service is the same as "net neutrality" to ensure equal access and priority for all. Net Neutrality will just make the internet another part of the realm of telecommunication services and to regulated as such. So no, the internet doesn't need to be treated as a phone company and shouldn't be controlled by the FCC. Allow me to state this clearly; there's no need to force the internet into some crappy regulated company with lousy, too expensive to use, telecommunication company one must deal with, like the crap we had in the '70s, So no, there's no reason to put the internet into that realm because of the notion of "equal access to all." There's nothing good, and I repeat, nothing good about net neutrality!!!
Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Donna6503: No, No, No, No! Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society. 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2017 at 3:17 AM

Quoting Donna6503:

No, No, No, No! Net Neutrality is wrong;

it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society.

Then why are content providers and this majority of technical people in favour of it?   Do they all hate freedom?

Vint Cerf and Tim Berners-Lee are in favour of Net Neutrality, they want to live in a free and open society, and they actually understand the technology involved.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2017 at 3:45 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:
Quoting Donna6503:There's nothing good, and I repeat, nothing good about net neutrality!!!

Do you like having the world wide web?    Or would you prefer to return to the days when there there were only text-only interfaces, like telnet, email, usenet or, at best, gopher?

Because the guy who invented the web said :

As the battle around net neutrality rages again, we need to take stock, and ask ourselves: What is the debate really about, and why should business leaders and entrepreneurs care?

Businesses of all sizes create value, jobs and investment opportunities online. Their innovation and value creation are wholly dependent on access to internet connectivity. Net neutrality is the principle that all content must be treated without discrimination, be it commercial or political. Neutral networks are critical to ensuring fair, open competition in the content market and driving America’s growth in the digital era.

Net neutrality allowed me to invent the World Wide Web without having to ask anyone for permission or pay a fee to ensure that people could use my idea. Now imagine what would happen if internet service providers—usually a handful of big cable companies that control the connectivity market—were allowed to violate net neutrality. Their gatekeeping powers could be used to require businesses and individuals to pay a premium to ensure their content is delivered on equal terms—or even at all. This would create barriers that disadvantage small businesses and startups across all sectors that rely on the internet in any way.

In the early days of the web, ISPs saw demand for their services surge as people encountered content like never before. As more people got connected, they created more content. A virtuous circle of growth and innovation ensued. You could always access any website over any connection. The technology of the underlying internet advanced dramatically from phone modems to fiber, with speeds available in a home connection growing by a factor of a million. Connectivity and content saw an explosion in growth as separate markets.

But a power struggle emerged as both markets evolved and incentives for ISPs to abuse their abilities to increase profit margins became stronger. Court battles followed, and enforceable net-neutrality rules became a necessity. In 2015 the Federal Communications Commission responded by classifying internet access as a Title II service. That establishes broadband as a vital utility, giving the FCC the requisite authority to enforce net neutrality.

Today, with billions of dollars at stake in the competition for views, sales and clicks, the incentives for ISPs to violate net neutrality for profit have never been greater. Yet the FCC is now proposing to roll back the rules that were put in place to neutralize those perverse incentives.

Do we want a web where cable companies determine winners and losers online? Where they decide which opinions we read, which creative ideas succeed? That’s not the web I want. To judge by support in opinion polls for upholding net neutrality, it’s not the web you want either.

The future of innovation, freedom of speech and democracy in America depend on strong, and enforceable net neutrality rules.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2017 at 4:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Clair; net neutrality basically prioritize and limit differentiation in internet traffic.

In order to achieve such limitations you need governmental control. Governmental control doesn't equal "expanded freedom." It doesn't, no matter how much one screams such rhetoric as "fair," "equitable," "greater," "etc" for justifying governmental control.

So why do all these geniuses in the field support "net neutrality"? Because; when they say words like "open and free society" it helps them maintain dominance in the field. it's harder to overtake such companies when you have a whole government protecting those companies' interest.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Donna6503: No, No, No, No!

Net Neutrality is wrong; it's a bad thing for anyone wanting to live in a free and open society.

Then why are content providers and this majority of technical people in favour of it?   Do they all hate freedom?

Vint Cerf and Tim Berners-Lee are in favour of Net Neutrality, they want to live in a free and open society, and they actually understand the technology involved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)