Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sad Reality

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM
  • 78 Replies
4 moms liked this

As part of my morning routine, I always scan the morning headlines.  Today, while browsing Yahoo News, it struck me how many headlines were about gun violence - mass murders, murder-suicides and suicides.   Out of the top 20 headlines, at least 4-5 were involved guns.

I grew up around my guns.  My father built his own and competed in NRA shooting tournaments.   From a very early age, we were around guns and taught to respect them. They were not toys.  Dad took us to the shooting range to show us what a handgun and rifle could do to watermelon.    It was easy then to imagine what damage a bullet could do to a human.

Last, 12 in 100,000 people died because of a gun, whether self-inflicted, accidental shooting, or murder.   If terrorists killed 12 people, let alone 12,000 or 120,000, this country would be up in arms.   Due to the the 911 Attacks where we lost over 3000 Americans, we can't carry more thaqn 2 oz of liquid on a plane, yet anyone is able to get a gun.  

Yes, mental illness is a big issue that this country refused to address, but so is easy gun access.  Personally, I support the 2nd Amendment and believe in gun ownership, but the use of guns to solve problems, grievances, pain, bullying, etc... is NOT the answer.  That was never the intent of gun ownership, which was geared towards hunting  and protecting.    Now humans are being hunted and killed every day.   How many have to die or be forever damaged because of a reckless person with a gun?   When will we as a society say enough is enough?  When it is our own child or loved one in our arms?   I don't like that goal.

by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

bump

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM
6 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Please watch "can you hear the children scream" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--5o6TwklJQ

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Right now I think one immediate solution that we could put into place is to keep schools locked like they do the maternity ward here.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Right now I think one immediate solution that we could put into place is to keep schools locked like they do the maternity ward here.

Most of them are.  You can't just go in and out like you could a few years ago. 

nb34
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Both my kids' schools are locked, you have to be buzzed in.

Quoting stormcris:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Pretty soon homes, and schools will be behind concrete walls with  zero access except by being buzzed in or a by a guard.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

It seemed from the news reports that they locked down that second school only after hearing about the first. That definitely saved lives at the second school. I am glad to know most are.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting stormcris:

Most of them are.  You can't just go in and out like you could a few years ago. 

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.
Sparkles4Lui
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Eliminate large capacity magazines, enforce states reporting domestic violence cases and mandating the accused to turn in any and all guns while the case is working through the court system, better anger management programs (the one offered at the Salvation Army is a joke), mandating States to notify the BATFE of convictions.
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM

It's highly possible and I have to wonder if we are not headed toward an all the time purge environment. There seem to be more and more raids where explosives are found lately. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Pretty soon homes, and schools will be behind concrete walls with  zero access except by being buzzed in or a by a guard.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)