Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Twist on Nursing in Public Debate -- is Public Shaming ever okay?? (Open it, it's probably not what you think)

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

Normally, I don't include pictures with the article, but for this one, I had to -- as it was the entire point.  Or, maybe I'm part of the problem by including the picture? I'm not sure where I fall on the debate in this situation.  So, she took a picture to mock the women who were shaming her loud enough for her to hear.  The picture has wound up on Yahoo! now, so the women *could* be facing quite a lot of backlash if anyone recognizes them.   The question here isn't about breastfeeding, it's about public shaming -- either the women shaming the nursing woman, or the couple taking a picture of the women that were making comments about the nursing woman and then posting online and sharing what they were doing.  Is any of that ever okay?  If you choose to criticize someone else, do you open yourself up to the possibility someone may take a picture of you that may go viral? Is that just an assumed risk? 

***I edited the post ** It's not about covering up, or is nursing in public okay.  My question is if it's ever okay to shame someone else for something in public -- especially by taking a picture.  If the first shaming isn't okay, would that negate the wrongness of the second shaming? 

This mom was shamed for breastfeeding at Disneyland, and her response was epic

Anna Sheffer,Hello Giggles 13 hours ago 
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I don’t mind breast feeding in public. I don’t feel like you should cover up either, but for me, I am a little more modest.
But to me, having both breasts out and walking around, is a little much. Why do you need both breasts exposed?
andreamarie
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM
6 moms liked this
I am not against breast feeding, but the pic itself proves this is just attention baiting.
Bfing,does not require both breasts deiplayed and pics taken, along with interviews.

billsfan1104
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
What I don’t like also is that this is a he said she said situation and the two women cannot defend themselves. Who knows what was really said.
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM
3 moms liked this
She could have shown some modesty.
Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM

The Tats are a great touch -

Wonder what are her status is - maybe we can send her home and she can post from DisneyLand De la Mexico

msb64
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

What is shameful is whatever the scowling woman on the right has on her head!

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she's just wearing a tank top and exaggerated the look for the picture, otherwise I agree with you about nursing in public. I don't understand public shaming, no matter who does it. The women should have minded their own business, first and foremost, but no need to take their pic.

Quoting billsfan1104: I don’t mind breast feeding in public. I don’t feel like you should cover up either, but for me, I am a little more modest.
But to me, having both breasts out and walking around, is a little much. Why do you need both breasts exposed?
Valentina327
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM
Yeah that kind of stops me from taking her very seriously.

Quoting msb64:

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Because wearing ears at a kids park is the same as wearing a kid?

Quoting Valentina327: Yeah that kind of stops me from taking her very seriously.
Quoting msb64:

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Her breasts were already "out" before nursing. You can tell that her Cami is too small.(look at the tan lines)
But anyway, if someone feels that someone having their breasts out is attention seeking why even say anything? The outside is such a large place. Just keep on moving.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)