Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital is firing employees for refusing the flu shot

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM
  • 193 Replies
1 mom liked this

Essentia Health employees without flu shots face firing Monday

Employees of Duluth, Minn.-based Essentia Health have a handful of days left to receive flu shots if they have not already. Come Monday, Nov. 20, employees who are not immunized, have no intent to receive flu shots and lack an exemption run the risk of termination.

The red letter day is part of Essentia's new mandatory flu shot policy. This is the first year flu shots are a requirement for working at the health system, save for employees who obtain religious or medical exemptions. The rule applies to students who train and vendors who operate at Essentia facilities, as well as volunteers who give back through Essentia programs.

Essentia employs more than 14,000 people across four states. As of Wednesday midmorning, the system reported 97 percent of employees had either received flu shots or were approved for exemption. At that rate, roughly 420 people run the risk of termination Monday unless they express intent to receive the flu shot that day.

"We don't want to lose any valued employees through this," Miranda Anderson, director of communications for Essentia Health, told Becker's. "We've been vaccinating employees daily. If someone comes to work Monday and says they'll get the flu shot, we'll give it to them. We're very hopeful. We value our employees and we need them."

Ms. Anderson said that those employees who state they will not receive a flu shot are saying they do not want to work at Essentia Health.

Earlier this month, a judge upheld the policy and rejected the United Steelworkers' request for an injunction to halt it, according to Twin Cities Pioneer Press.

Separately, the Minnesota Nurses Association has also taken issue with the new flu shot policy. The union on Nov. 2 filed an unfair labor practices charge against Essentia with the National Labor Relations Board. As of Tuesday, no action had been scheduled in that case, reports the Pioneer Press. Ms. Anderson told Becker's the system does not comment on pending legal affairs. The MNA represents about 2,000 Essentia nurses.

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our po

by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PPCLC
by Lisa on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

This sort of controversy has been going around for a few years.

While I am not 100% convinced that the flu shot does anything other than to actually show some symptoms of the flu for many who've received the vaccine, if this vaccine is a part of their requirement to work, then what is their real opposition to receiving it? 

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

This thead topic happens every year.

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM

Ms. Anderson said that those employees who state they will not receive a flu shot are saying they do not want to work at Essentia Health.

the end

moving on

cookmom69
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM
6 moms liked this

Why should it be required? If a person never gets the flu, why should they need to pump poison into their body in order to remain employed?

Quoting PPCLC:

While I am not 100% convinced that the flu shot does anything other than to actually show some symptoms of the flu for many who've received the vaccine, if this vaccine is a part of their requirement to work, then what is their real opposition to receiving it? 

Lemon-Sunshine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM
16 moms liked this
Working in the health care setting it’s common practice to receive the flu shot and also be required to have other vaccines up to date. This isn’t a secert, so if you’re not willing to do it (obviously medical or religious reasons aside) than you can’t preform your job. Not being able to perform your job is a fireable offense.
PPCLC
by Lisa on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

The environment that hospital employees work in with potentially thousands of patients coming through the doors with the different strains of flu necessitates a need for them to receive this vaccine.

Even if they never get the flu, it's not a guarantee they never will.

If it's a requirement of their employment, then they either comply or they leave as it would be with any other employment requirement.

Quoting cookmom69:

Why should it be required? If a person never gets the flu, why should they need to pump poison into their body in order to remain employed?

Quoting PPCLC:

lancet98
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

You don't read much, do you.

One, it's not poison, two, anyone can get the flu, no one is born immune, even getting the flu won't protect you from other strains of the flu, and there are new strains all the time, three, having and carrying the flu virus around immunocompromised or chronic upper respiratory illness patients(like me) is a no no, four, it's in your employment contract, and you signed on knowing it was a condition of employment and that you'd get fired if you didn't get the shot.

Heck, when I worked for a hospital I had to get a whole raft of shots, hepatitis tests, tons of stuff and I wasn't even treating patients, but I might walk down the hall, soooo.....  I felt like a pincushion, lol.  But I was proud that I didn't kill anyone by passing them the flu virus.

In other words, do you want fries with that?  (ie, if you signed an employment contract and don't honor it, you wind up in food service).

To the person who didn't think the flu vac 'did much', it's always 'done much' for me.

That 'making people sick' isn't actually 'making people sick' or 'making them have flu symptoms' at all.

That 'not feeling well' after the vaccine is actually YOUR BODY'S IMMUNE RESPONSE KICKING INTO GEAR, not disease symptoms at all.  Proves your immune system is responding appropriately to the shot.  However, I don't go by that as the response is not always felt or noticed...I get immune levels checked so I'm sure my body reacted to the vaccine and is defending me against that illness.  I have to take corticosteroids, so I want to be sure my immune system is reacting as it should.

Quoting cookmom69:

Quoting PPCLC:

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM
My hospital did the same thing. A friend quit over it.
Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't work there.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM
4 moms liked this

I worked at hospitals for 35 years, in ours it was either get the shots (and keep all vaccinations up to date, and confirmed by proving immunity via lab draw or MD order as to why not) or find a new job. Some places make you wear a mask at all times from Oct-April, if one decides otherwise. 

Behaviors and consequences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)