Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Multiple Casualties in Shooting at New Mexico High School: Reports

Posted by   + Show Post

Multiple Casualties in Shooting at New Mexico High School: Reports

Aztec High School in New Mexico

A shooting Thursday morning at a high school in Aztec, New Mexico, resulted in multiple casualties, according to multiple reports.

News reports conflicted on the number of casualties during the shooting at Aztec High School, which was confirmed to PEOPLE by the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.

The Albuquerque Journal reports that according to San Juan County Sheriff Ken Christesen, three people, believed to be students, are dead. Christesen did not say if the dead included the shooter.

CNN, citing Aztec Police Chief Mike Heal, says two people plus the shooter were shot, but did not say whether the two people shot were students or adults.

ABC affiliate KOAT, citing Aztec police, report that two people were shot and that the suspect is dead.

PEOPLE’s calls to Aztech police, the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, and other law enforcement have not been immediately returned.

Aztec High School is about 180 miles northwest of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

This is a breaking news story. Please return for updates.

http://people.com/crime/new-mexico-aztec-high-school-shooting-reported/

At least a dozen people injured, suspect 'down' after shooting at New Mexico school, official says

At least a dozen people were injured after a gunman opened fire at a northern New Mexico high school Thursday morning, a law enforcement official told Fox News.

Authorities said the shooter is "down." 

The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office confirmed reports of an active shooter around 9 a.m. local time, saying Aztec High School in Aztec, N.M. was on lockdown.

The school is located in the Four Corners region and is near the Navajo Nation, about 180 miles north of Albuquerque.

A spokesman with the sheriff’s office told reporters that the unidentified shooter was "down," but did not provide additional information.

No additional information was provided on the condition of those injured, KOB reported.

It wasn't immediately clear if the shooting happened inside the school, who was suspected of firing the shots and what condition the wounded were in.

On Facebook, law enforcement asked people to “avoid the area” while they secured the scene.

“Aztec High School is locked down and being evacuated. Please avoid the area. Parents can stage at 516 and Mesa Verde near the church to pick up their kids. We will update this as we learn more,” the post said.

Farmington Municipal Schools wrote on Facebook all schools in the district went into preventive lockdown due to the incident.

“We have no reason to think there is any threat in Farmington at this time, but we are taking this advance action in order to secure all of our schools. Your students’ safety is our primary concern,” the statement said.

In nearby Bloomfield, police said local schools were also lockdown as a precaution.

Fox News' Ray Bogan contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/07/several-wounded-after-shooting-at-new-mexico-school-reports-say.html

Police: Shooting reported at New Mexico high school

AZTEC, N.M. — Authorities are responding to a shooting at a high school in northwest New Mexico.

Deputies with the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office told reporters that a suspect was in custody but they did not release any other information.

Sheriff Ken Christesen confirms the shooting at Aztec High School on Thursday morning. He did not say whether anyone had been injured or killed.

The school is in the Four Corners region and is near the Navajo Nation.

Authorities say the school was placed on lockdown and evacuated. Other schools in the area also were locked down, and authorities were setting up staging areas where parents could gather and wait for more information.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/12/07/police-shooting-reported-new-mexico-high-school/930867001/

by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Replies (61-70):
VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Both victims were student-athletes at Aztec High

AZTEC, N.M. -- The tragedy at Aztec High School claimed the lives of a cheerleader and a football player. Around 9 p.m. Thursday night, the San Juan County Sheriff's office said Casey Marquez and Francisco Fernandez died in the shooting.

When the chaos calmed, details about the two teens caught in the crossfire emerged. Deja Greenleaf, an Aztec High graduate, was a teammate of one of the victims.

"We were always there for each other no matter what was happening on a personal level or something that happened outside of school," Greenleaf said. "We are always there."

Both victims were student-athletes at Aztec High

The other teen who died was a recent transfer to Aztec High. He, too, participated in sports and wanted to go to college. His father said he never saw this coming. There are still Christmas presents waiting for his son at home.

There is no clear motive for the death of either victim. Family and friends are in shock.

"Nothing seems real," Greenleaf said. "You just want to believe everything is OK and you move through the stages of grief."

http://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/aztec-high-school-shooting-victims-casey-marquez-francisco-fernandez/4699462/

mcknitro
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM
They named the cowardous perp. He was a 21 yr old Aztec resident that took advantage of a school at its most vulnerable time when kids are arriving. Sounds like he planned it that way and pretended to be a student.

Quoting VooDooB:

Police arrived at the school less than a minute after getting the initial calls, which came shortly after the start of first period. With the school in lockdown, they got inside through a window and a door.

It was not clear if the shooter died by suicide or was killed by police. No other injuries were reported.

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Would you mind linking me up? I can't seem to find anyone identified except for the 2 victims.

Thanks!

Nevermind: I had to search Twitter for the update

Quoting mcknitro: They named the cowardous perp. He was a 21 yr old Aztec resident that took advantage of a school at its most vulnerable time when kids are arriving. Sounds like he planned it that way and pretended to be a student.
Quoting VooDooB:

Police arrived at the school less than a minute after getting the initial calls, which came shortly after the start of first period. With the school in lockdown, they got inside through a window and a door.

It was not clear if the shooter died by suicide or was killed by police. No other injuries were reported.

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM
Replying to 

New Mexico school shooter identified as 21-year-old William Atchison who disguised himself as a student, was determined to kill as many people as he could

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Just hitting the news now. There isn't even a "5 fast facts" out on him yet.

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM

BREAKING: Officials say shooter, William Atchison, planned the shooting. Posed as a student, hid in the bathroom where he shot one student and then killed another in the hallway .

mcknitro
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM
I heard it in the live press conference. They said they would only list his name once and that was it. They have a quick blurb about him and what they found (a letter). I listened to it live on the local radio station. Since press is all attending I'm sure it will be published in an article soon, if not as I type. I don't feel right putting his name on here at this time, but they clearly called him out in the press conference. Keep tuned, it will be out shortly, I'm sure. My phone is really slow as well which is becoming annoying.

Quoting VooDooB:

Would you mind linking me up? I can't seem to find anyone identified except for the 2 victims.

Thanks!

Nevermind: I had to search Twitter for the update

Quoting mcknitro: They named the cowardous perp. He was a 21 yr old Aztec resident that took advantage of a school at its most vulnerable time when kids are arriving. Sounds like he planned it that way and pretended to be a student.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:34 PM

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE GUNMAN:

● 21-year-old William Atchison. 
● Former student of Aztec High, but not at time of shooting. 
● Attack was planned.
● No extensive criminal history.

mcknitro
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:35 PM
Yep it was being published as I typed. So horrible.

Quoting VooDooB:
Replying to 

New Mexico school shooter identified as 21-year-old William Atchison who disguised himself as a student, was determined to kill as many people as he could

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)