Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amazon’s Alexa angering right-wingers with its progressive stances

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM
  • 55 Replies
2 moms liked this

Turns out Amazon’s Alexa is woke AF. The voice-activated assistant has anything but a passive stance on hot-button social issues, sparking Internet controversy. (But then again, what doesn’t?)

One (apparently alt-right–adjacent) user posted a video where Alexa sounds off about where she stands on the Black Lives Matter movement. In the clip, someone asks, “Alexa, do black lives matter?” She responds, “Black lives and the Black Lives Matter movement absolutely matter. It’s important to have conversations about equality and social justice.” According to the Daily Dot, tests on first-generation Amazon Echo models elicited a similar reply.

Naturally, ultra-conservatives on Twitter just about shit themselves, calling out Amazon for the promulgation of liberal views to more than 15 million Echo owners. Can you feel me rolling my eyes? Because I am. Good to know we have Alexa here to fight for the things Congress can’t.

To be fair, it’s not exactly typical for a private organization to use its products to support potentially polarizing views. But in these trying political times, more and more companies have been taking a definitive stance on social and political issues. There’s also the fact that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Trump are far from bros.

This isn’t the first time Alexa has spoken out. Back in March, the world discovered that if you ask Alexa who inspires her, she’ll give you the names of 15 women, including mathematician Ada Lovelace, scientist Marie Curie, gymnast Simone Biles, and Pakistani human rights activist Malala Yousafzai. Amazon spoken openly about Alexa’s seemingly feminist perspective, saying her responses were written by the company’s personality team.

TBD if Amazon played a direct part in Alexa’s BLM point of view, or is even up to speed with the fact that she has one. Indeed, some of her responses are pre-programmed by developers, but others come from a variety internet sources, third-party developed voices and Wikipedia.

Complex

https://apple.news/AMM9DORqER_eIuBcPL_4U9g

by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM
6 moms liked this
You mean Alexa angering idiots with facts.
QueenMama7808
by Member on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:33 AM
13 moms liked this

Even artificial intelligence is smarter than conservatives. I love it.

Lemon-Sunshine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM
6 moms liked this
Products for all should stay unbiased.
Pema_Jampa
by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Are you arguing that black lives don’t matter?

Quoting Lemon-Sunshine: Products for all should stay unbiased.
Pema_Jampa
by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this
What is so offensive to Trump snowflakes about this response?

” She responds, “Black lives and the Black Lives Matter movement absolutely matter. It’s important to have conversations about equality and social justice.”
WilyMommy
by Missbod on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM
5 moms liked this

Apparently you don’t know the difference between opinion and fact. Can’t say I’m surprised. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa: You mean Alexa angering idiots with facts.

Pema_Jampa
by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
What in this below is not a fact?

” She responds, “Black lives and the Black Lives Matter movement absolutely matter. It’s important to have conversations about equality and social justice.”

Quoting WilyMommy:

Apparently you don’t know the difference between opinion and fact. Can’t say I’m surprised. 

WilyMommy
by Missbod on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Are you being intentionally obtuse? What about her statement makes you think that? Can you really not see that believing products like Alexa should be unbiased is NOT the same as believing black lives don’t matter, that they have absolutely nothing to do with one another?

You’re really on a troll roll today.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Are you arguing that black lives don’t matter?

Pema_Jampa
by on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this
What In the statement is biased and non factual?

Arguing against the response is why I asked that question. If they don’t agree with the response do they believe black lives don’t matter?

Quoting WilyMommy:

Are you being intentionally obtuse? What about her statement makes you think that? Can you really not see that believing products like Alexa should be unbiased is NOT the same as believing black lives don’t matter, that they have absolutely nothing to do with one another?

You’re really on a troll roll today.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Are you arguing that black lives don’t matter?

WilyMommy
by Missbod on Dec. 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I’m not going to play your games.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: What in this below is not a fact? ” She responds, “Black lives and the Black Lives Matter movement absolutely matter. It’s important to have conversations about equality and social justice.”
Quoting WilyMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)