Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDITED to add videos Breast feeding mom kicked off fllight for being "noncompliant"

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  • 77 Replies

Houston mother, baby kicked off Spirit flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=100&v=dKBVduIRyu4

(cafemom link add will not work to put video in post)

A Houston pianist and cancer researcher is speaking out after she, her 2-year-old son, and elderly parents were kicked off a Spirit Airlines flight Friday morning. 

Mei Rui was on her way to New York to take part in a recording for a clinical study dealing with cancer. 

"You just don't have to treat people that way," said Mei. 

Mei recorded video from inside the plane where you can hear her son screaming right before they were kicked off the flight. She says before the cabin door was closed, she started breastfeeding her baby.

A Houston pianist and clinical researcher kicked off @SpiritAirlines flight Friday morning.. she was on her way to conduct cancer research in NYC. Wants answers from airline. Live @iah at 10 

Flight attendants instructed her to stop and get the child into his seat. Mei claims she only asked for a few minutes to finish, so the baby wouldn't wake up.

"I said as soon as the plane's door closes, I will put him in his seat," said Mei.

In the video, you can see the baby was in his seat when another flight attendant came to get them off the plane, but he continued to cry. 

"He was making very loud noises, but that's not criminal," said Mei. 

Mei said the crew had made up its mind and wanted she and her son off the flight. 

"It was humiliating to be chased off a plane in front of hundreds of people," said Mei. "We had never been through anything close to this." 

In the terminal, things got even worse. Mei says she never got an answer about why she was kicked off the plane.

KHOU 11 reached out to Spirit for answers. The airline is standing by its actions and released this statement:

"Our records indicate a passenger was removed from Flight 712 after refusing to comply with crew instructions several times during taxi to runway and safety briefing. To protect the safety of our guests and crew, FAA regulations and airline policies require all passengers to stay seated and buckled during takeoff and landing. We apologize for any inconvenience to our guests. As a courtesy, we’ve issued a full refund to the passenger in question." 

Mei was refunded her money, but says she won't be flying Spirit again. 

"We're not lawbreakers or trouble seekers," said Mei. "We're the elderly, a baby and his mother, why did they have to treat us this way?"

http://www.khou.com/news/houston-mother-baby-kicked-off-spirit-flight/498325113

by on Dec. 10, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
handy0318
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM
17 moms liked this

After 24 months, a child must be in a seat. Planes allow infants to be held, but a 2 year old is not an infant. She was instructed to have him in his seat during the taxi to the runway and safety briefing.

So yeah.. she refused to follow the rules that are pretty much mandated for all passengers. When the "return to seat and buckle" light is on... it means being in the seat buckled. I've never been on a flight yet that allowed people to not be in the seat and buckled during the taxi and safety briefing.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this

"Give me a few more minutes" (I'm more important than the hundreds of others on this plane)

SommelierMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM
7 moms liked this
Zero sympathy. She wanted special treatment.
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this
If he was seated and buckled by the time the doors closed, I don’t see the issue with her trying to get him as comforted and QUIET as possible before the flight. Something the other passengers probably would’ve appreciated. I would’ve stopped when asked because I’m a ruler follower, generally speaking. But the fight attendants could’ve extended a couple minutes of grace. It’s not like the mom was shouting into her mobile phone or causing some other loud disruption. She was actually trying to avoid that kind of scene. But their airline, their rules, their choice...and now their consequences.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
The airline wasn't wrong. They can't hold up a flight because one person is breastfeeding and rules say you must be in a seat at takeoff.
Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM
I don’t think the airline was wrong.
grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:26 AM
She was right about a crying baby not being criminal but it doesn't have to be criminal to be removed from a plane.

She did not seem prepared to take a toddler on a plane. She could have had a sippy cup or a bottle, a favorite toy or some snacks to keep her child quieted. If the crying that was already going on continued after takeoff, everyone else on the flight would have been uncomfortable, possibly for the entire flight.
DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I think every passenger has to be seated and buckled before they can move the plane at all.
handy0318
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM

They didn't remove them because the child was noisy... just that she didn't stop feeding him and buckle him into his seat when they told her to. Had she had a sippy cup or bottle, he could have comforted himself with it during takeoff.

Quoting grannie_kel: She was right about a crying baby not being criminal but it doesn't have to be criminal to be removed from a plane. She did not seem prepared to take a toddler on a plane. She could have had a sippy cup or a bottle, a favorite toy or some snacks to keep her child quieted. If the crying that was already going on continued after takeoff, everyone else on the flight would have been uncomfortable, possibly for the entire flight.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
That was where her non-compliance came in, she didn't do what she was asked. If she had been prepared with a sippy cup or bottle, the child could have been strapped in when they boarded and that possibly would have allowed them to remain.

If she did have a cup or bottle, the smart thing to do would have been to get him comforted with it in his own seat when they boarded, before takeoff, not during.

Quoting handy0318:

They didn't remove them because the child was noisy... just that she didn't stop feeding him and buckle him into his seat when they told her to. Had she had a sippy cup or bottle, he could have comforted himself with it during takeoff.

Quoting grannie_kel: She was right about a crying baby not being criminal but it doesn't have to be criminal to be removed from a plane.

She did not seem prepared to take a toddler on a plane. She could have had a sippy cup or a bottle, a favorite toy or some snacks to keep her child quieted. If the crying that was already going on continued after takeoff, everyone else on the flight would have been uncomfortable, possibly for the entire flight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)