Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll: 83 percent of voters support keeping FCC's net neutrality rules

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM
  • 53 Replies

TECHNOLOGY
December 12, 2017 - 05:02 PM EST
GREG NASH

BY HARPER NEIDIG 427
TWEET SHARE MORE
More than 80 percent of voters oppose the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) plan to repeal its net neutrality rules, according to a new poll from the University of Maryland’s Program for Public Consultation.

The survey presented respondents with detailed arguments from both supporters and opponents of the repeal plan, before asking them where they stood on the rules. It found that 83 percent overall favored keeping the FCC rules, including 75 percent of Republicans, 89 percent of Democrats and 86 percent of independents.

“A decision to repeal net neutrality would be tacking against strong headwinds of public opinion blowing in the opposite direction,” Steven Kull, the director of the university program, said in a statement.

The school said that its questionnaire had been vetted for accuracy by experts on both sides of the debate.

The FCC is expected to do away with its Obama-era regulations on Thursday. The rules prevent internet service providers from discriminating against web content or making websites pay for faster delivery speeds.

When the repeal plan goes into effect, internet providers will no longer be prohibited from engaging in discriminatory practices, but the FCC will require them to be transparent about how they handle web traffic. And, as FCC Chairman Ajit Pai argues, the Federal Trade Commission will be able to take action against companies that deceive their customers or harm competition.

The survey, which was published on Monday and reported earlier by The Washington Post, also asked respondents what they thought of each argument

Overall, 48 percent of all voters found the argument to repeal the rules convincing and 51 percent found it unconvincing. Fifty-nine percent of Republicans found the argument convincing, compared with 35 percent of Democrats.

Three-quarters of all voters found the argument in favor of keeping the rules convincing, including 72 percent of Republicans and 78 percent of Democrats.

The poll surveyed 1,077 registered voters online from Dec. 6-8. It has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/364528-poll-83-percent-of-voters-support-keeping-fccs-net-neutrality-rules
by on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Unfortunately our power has been taken away bye the Republicans that got voted in. It's a very very sad time if you have a small business on the internet and or you're an internet user. Sad for everyone but the big providers.
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Somebody on this site, not naming names, told me this administration was being "responsive to the voters". With the low approval ratings of their health bill, their tax bill, and now this, I wonder how she can say that with a straight face.

And yes, I agree with your point, this is a terrible idea.

Quoting romalove: Unfortunately our power has been taken away bye the Republicans that got voted in. It's a very very sad time if you have a small business on the internet and or you're an internet user. Sad for everyone but the big providers.
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM
I continue to be convinced that because Trump Associated his winning with his supporters also being winners that they are personally invested in supporting him no matter what.

It's going to take the policies to actually personally affect them, which is inevitable, for them to maybe come to their senses.

Quoting jessilin0113: Somebody on this site, not naming names, told me this administration was being "responsive to the voters". With the low approval ratings of their health bill, their tax bill, and now this, I wonder how she can say that with a straight face.

Quoting romalove: Unfortunately our power has been taken away bye the Republicans that got voted in. It's a very very sad time if you have a small business on the internet and or you're an internet user. Sad for everyone but the big providers.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM
3 moms liked this
It was me

He is fulfilling campaign promises

I promise to do x y z. If elected

After elected I in fact do x y z

In what way is that not responsive?

Quoting jessilin0113: Somebody on this site, not naming names, told me this administration was being "responsive to the voters". With the low approval ratings of their health bill, their tax bill, and now this, I wonder how she can say that with a straight face.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this
I take being responsive as listening to them. Public opinion matters. If voters don't like the tax bill, or FCC repeal, why continue to ram it through?

It's because they are beholden to Big Money and not the people.

Quoting Billiejeens: It was me

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes

Quoting jessilin0113: I take being responsive as listening to them. Public opinion matters. If voters don't like the tax bill, or FCC repeal, why continue to ram it through? It's because they are beholden to Big Money and not the people.
Quoting Billiejeens: It was me He is fulfilling campaign promises I promise to do x y z. If elected After elected I in fact do x y z In what way is that not responsive?
Quoting jessilin0113: Somebody on this site, not naming names, told me this administration was being "responsive to the voters". With the low approval ratings of their health bill, their tax bill, and now this, I wonder how she can say that with a straight face. And yes, I agree with your point, this is a terrible idea.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
He listened to us.

You are confusing being responsive with pandering for future votes.

Put your hand back in your purse, stick it back out before the next election
I'm sure there will be plenty of politicians promising to put something in it.

Quoting jessilin0113: I take being responsive as listening to them. Public opinion matters. If voters don't like the tax bill, or FCC repeal, why continue to ram it through?

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM
So in your opinion Trump only has to answer to and be responsive to those who voted for him?

Do you think everyone who voted for him voted for him for the same reasons?

Quoting Billiejeens: He listened to us.

Quoting jessilin0113: I take being responsive as listening to them. Public opinion matters. If voters don't like the tax bill, or FCC repeal, why continue to ram it through?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes

No

Quoting romalove: So in your opinion Trump only has to answer to and be responsive to those who voted for him?

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol

That's ridiculous and incredibly stupid and short-sighted since Trump not only didn't win the popular vote but even you agree not everyone who voted for him wanted the same things.

In deep red Alabama the voters who were polled had less than 50% favorable responses to Trump. He's in trouble and you don't see it because you're getting what you want. Why you want to pay more for internet or have someone else decide what it is you'll be allowed to see I'm not sure but there it is.

Quoting Billiejeens: Yes

No

Quoting romalove: So in your opinion Trump only has to answer to and be responsive to those who voted for him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)