Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Holidays that definitely belong on the same day..

Posted by   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

Easter and Fools day..
by on Jan. 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM
Replies (321-324):
Btamilee2753
by Lee on Jan. 3, 2018 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

It is awesome!  He is really good, and so far has been able to support himself with his voice!  Love the music from the 40s! :-)

Quoting billsfan1104: That’s awesome that you get to hear your nephew sing. He must have a beautiful voice. I really do miss many of the voices from back in the 30s and 40s and can’t stand the auto tuned stuff.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

That is so special.  What a cherished memory you will have to share for years to come.  My nephew is living in New York City now, but thankfully I get to see him sing occasionally thanks to videos :-)

Quoting billsfan1104: We have the old recordings of my grandfather singing the Ave Maria, and also Oh Holy Night. We have his recordings of him signing in Latin too. Such a beautiful voice.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

My nephew is an opera singer and whenever I hear him sing Ave Maria it brings tears to my eyes.  So beautiful..

Quoting MissAndree: I'm not a definitive atheist, more like a doubtful agnostic, lol. Ave Maria is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time, and I still enjoy quite a bit of the contemporary Christian music I grew up listening to, like Rich Mullins, Randy Stonehill and Steve Taylor.
Quoting msb64:

That sounds beautiful.  I'm an athiest, but at Christmas I love Handel's "Messiah".  

Quoting KittyMom1026:

They have a service on Christmas Eve called Moravian Love Feast. We go to the 4:30 service, and by the time it's over, it's dark. They have a band that play Christmas carols, women who play the bells, an adult choir, and a chlorine's choir. They also serve coffee and Moravian rolls, and then pass out the lit Moravian bees wax candle with the red frills on the bottom. They turn out all the lights and everyone sings Christmas carols. Then, two children sing Morning Star, which is a Moravian carol, and the congregation joins in the reply. I learned the lyrics so that I could sing too. The ending is the Hallelujah chorus.

Here is the children's song of Morning Star.Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDkkJt9XN8

Quoting JTROX:

We do the Lamb of God in Latin sometimes at my home parish.  I wish we did it more.   At another parish I go to they do more Latin.

I am not familiar with Moravian churches.

Quoting KittyMom1026:

I don't go to church anymore, but I'm old enough to remember when it was in Latin. I knew every word of it. I think the new mass is more like the Protestants and we didn't have deacons back then either.There's a church in the next town over that doesn't even have kneelers.

I'm in the south, and there's a Baptist church on every corner. There are only 3 Catholic churches that I can think of. There are also many Moravian churches because they founded this city. The Moravian Love Feast on Christmas Eve is the most beautiful ceremony I've ever been to. It even beats Midnight mass as far as I"m concerned.

Quoting JTROX:

We had decent attendance, but it would have been nice to see more people put in the effort to attend even though it wasn't a Holy Day of Obligation.  It was a beautiful Mass though.

Quoting blondekosmic15: Yes, I attended Mass yesterday for this beautiful Feast Day of Our Lady. The Church was in full attendance. The Priest gave an inspiring homily in honor of Mary.
Quoting JTROX:

Today not only did we celebrate New Years Day, but Catholics also celebrated the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God. 

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I know some of her stuff from the radio, but I don’t think I’ve heard her covers. I’ll have to check them out, thanks.

Quoting MissAndree: This is a totally different genre, but have you ever heard any of Tori Amos' covers? She's another artist who does a really great job at re-arranging songs and making them all her own.

Quoting Luvnlogic: Yes!!! Totally changed it...I like them both since they’re so different from one another.

Quoting MissAndree: Billy Jean is another cover that he did, that I was really blown away by.

Quoting Luvnlogic: Prince v Chris would be a much tougher choice to make. 🤔🤔

Quoting MissAndree: I married a man from the PNW, I already really liked that genre of music, but he really got me in to Chris Cornell and Audioslave. Now, I am also a die hard Prince fan, so as much as I love Chris's version of that song, Prince will always be my favorite version.

Quoting Luvnlogic: He even won me over to his side with Nothing Compares to You. And that song has heavy nostalgic meaning for me. If I had to only listen to one version from now on, Sinead would be booted.

Quoting MissAndree: And like you, I love everything he sang.

Quoting Luvnlogic: What do you think of Chris Cornell’s version? I love anything he sang, but I’m not an Ave Maria afficiando by any means.

Quoting MissAndree: I'm not a definitive atheist, more like a doubtful agnostic, lol. Ave Maria is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time, and I still enjoy quite a bit of the contemporary Christian music I grew up listening to, like Rich Mullins, Randy Stonehill and Steve Taylor.

Quoting msb64:

That sounds beautiful.  I'm an athiest, but at Christmas I love Handel's "Messiah".  

Quoting KittyMom1026:

They have a service on Christmas Eve called Moravian Love Feast. We go to the 4:30 service, and by the time it's over, it's dark. They have a band that play Christmas carols, women who play the bells, an adult choir, and a chlorine's choir. They also serve coffee and Moravian rolls, and then pass out the lit Moravian bees wax candle with the red frills on the bottom. They turn out all the lights and everyone sings Christmas carols. Then, two children sing Morning Star, which is a Moravian carol, and the congregation joins in the reply. I learned the lyrics so that I could sing too. The ending is the Hallelujah chorus.

Here is the children's song of Morning Star.Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDkkJt9XN8

Quoting JTROX:

We do the Lamb of God in Latin sometimes at my home parish.  I wish we did it more.   At another parish I go to they do more Latin.

I am not familiar with Moravian churches.

Quoting KittyMom1026:

I don't go to church anymore, but I'm old enough to remember when it was in Latin. I knew every word of it. I think the new mass is more like the Protestants and we didn't have deacons back then either.There's a church in the next town over that doesn't even have kneelers.

I'm in the south, and there's a Baptist church on every corner. There are only 3 Catholic churches that I can think of. There are also many Moravian churches because they founded this city. The Moravian Love Feast on Christmas Eve is the most beautiful ceremony I've ever been to. It even beats Midnight mass as far as I"m concerned.

Quoting JTROX:

We had decent attendance, but it would have been nice to see more people put in the effort to attend even though it wasn't a Holy Day of Obligation.  It was a beautiful Mass though.

Quoting blondekosmic15: Yes, I attended Mass yesterday for this beautiful Feast Day of Our Lady. The Church was in full attendance. The Priest gave an inspiring homily in honor of Mary.

Quoting JTROX:

Today not only did we celebrate New Years Day, but Catholics also celebrated the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God. 

handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Thank you. He passed at about 4:30 this morning as I was petting him.

He was my daughter's first pet. We got him when she was just 4 years old. He was a great cat for a little girl. She used to dress him in doll clothes and roll him around the house in her doll stroller...lol. He was always so patient and never seemed to care what she did.

She came over yesterday evening and he really perked up that she was there. His last hours were good hours. We'll miss him.

Quoting KittyMom1026:

I'm so terribly sorry about you cat. It is so hard to let go a beloved pet. You'll be in my thoughts.

Quoting handy0318:

Well... a lot of men like to say that what they do to women isn't harassment and blame the woman for taking offense, just like many blacks are told that what they just experienced isn't racism and they're being "reverse racists" and gays are told that they are not being subjected to homophobia and are just "too sensitive".

Maybe, just maybe it's better to try to understand why someone becomes offended at something rather than mocking them for being offended. Easter is the holiest day for Christians, a celebration of the resurrection of Christ....equating Christians who celebrate that as fools is indeed, quite offensive to many of us.

Unfortunately, our New Year is starting out sadly. Our beloved "old man", our cat Salem, is going through his final illness. Nothing to be done for him but keep him as comfortable as possible and just give him lot's of love and affection. We weighed the idea of taking him on the long drive to be put down, but he always, always hated being in cars and the drive is over an hour. As he doesn't seem to be suffering any, just shutting down, we decided to let him slip away here at his home. 

Quoting GrayDuck41: It’s offensive? I don’t think so. Happy New Year And best of luck
Quoting handy0318: Yes it is. "Two holidays that belong on the same day... Easter and Fools day." Let's stop with the disengenoius crap. This was meant to be offensive.
Quoting GrayDuck41: It’s not.
Quoting CannotCount: Maybe because I’m not religious but I don’t understand why this is offensive or seen as an attack.
Quoting handy0318: Yes, quite a number of us do. I'm generally am not one to take offense, but when offense is so clearly intentional.... I wonder if all those who rush to pooh-pooh the idea that no one ever attacks Christianity around here will show up.
Quoting Debmomto2teens: Do other Christians celebrate Ash Wednesday?

Shoota
by Lauren on Jan. 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM
You should post pics! Im not a religious person, but I was raised in a Christian home. I love learning about the traditions of others.
The Catholic faith has always fascinated me ever since I went to the Vatican. Undeniable the spiritual power you feel there, and thats coming from someone who is non-religous. So beautiful. And I got to see a Cardinal. I think that is what they are called? ;)

Quoting billsfan1104: The problem is is they don’t care. Especially the two people who liked your comment and agreed with you.
They don’t care.
I have given up on people actually wanting to learn about my faith and what it is about.
I have tried before, but it always turns into bringing up sexual abuse in the church and how they left the Catholic Church and how dare I remain Catholic.
If people were truly interested in our beliefs and customs, I would love to discuss it and love to share pictures of what we do during Holy Saturday with the blessing of the baskets and so forth.

Quoting Btamilee2753:

Bills.....take this as an opportunity to discuss religion.  Whatever the motives were for starting this thread, it really has turned into a very interesting discussion and I have enjoyed the conversation in which many have shared different aspects of religion.  Instead of wasting energy stressing about any motives, enjoy the conversation.  Use your knowledge to share and be informative.

Quoting billsfan1104: I would have giggled if it wasn’t for the title of the thread and Celestials background of bigoted remarks against Christians and Especially Catholics.
I don’t mind a cute meme or something to giggle at, and it takes a lot to offend me, but the way the OP presented this, was offensive.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

I giggled.  I'm sorry lol.  It's one of those things with dates.  Even if Catholicism was my religion, the dates falling as they do would give me a chuckle - not an OMG I'm offended chuckle, but just a giggle in general.  A great way to screw with the kiddos minds while Easter egg huntin' lol.

As far as the rest, it's been an enlightening thread as far as what denominations celebrate Ash Wednesday.  So thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)