Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Sex Parties of Silicon Valley

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM
  • 157 Replies
1 mom liked this

What is wrong with people?!  -- Found on HuffPost

It’s no secret that women looking to get ahead in the tech industry often grapple with sacrifices and risks that their male counterparts don’t, but an upcoming book offers a glimpse at a lesser known element at play: exclusive, drug-fueled sex parties where claims of carnal liberation mask a problematic power dynamic. 

Bloomberg veteran Emily Chang’s upcoming book, Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley, denounces these freewheeling gatherings. An adaptation appeared in Vanity Fair on Tuesday.

Chang spoke to nearly two dozen people familiar with these parties, in which men ― typically first-round investors, prominent entrepreneurs and high-ranking executives ― mingle with young, attractive women working in tech or other tech-aligned industries. 

Anonymous sources described gatherings that are kept under wraps and often involve drugs, Chang wrote:

This is how the night goes down, according to those who have attended. Guests arrive before dinner and are checked in by private security guards, who will turn you away if you’re not on the list. ... Alcohol lubricates the conversation until, after the final course, the drugs roll out. Some form of MDMA, a.k.a. Ecstasy or Molly, known for transforming relative strangers into extremely affectionate friends, is de rigueur, including Molly tablets that have been molded into the logos of some of the hottest tech companies. Some refer to these parties as “E-parties.”

The sources said attendees are encouraged to become intimate with other guests. Oftentimes, the hosts enforce a higher ratio of women to men and lean “heavily toward male-heterosexual fantasies,” Chang observed. “Women are often expected to be involved in threesomes that include other women; male gay and bisexual behavior is conspicuously absent.”

While many of the men Chang spoke to view these gatherings as another way they’re disrupting the world, women face a dilemma: Skipping the party means missing out on the business deals and networking that take place there, but attending may have its own set of consequences. 

“If you do participate in these sex parties, don’t ever think about starting a company or having someone invest in you,” one female entrepreneur told Chang. “Those doors get shut. But if you don’t participate, you’re shut out. You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t.”

Other women who spoke to Chang said their male colleagues aggressively pursued and sexually harassed them after they found out they had attended some of the gatherings.

That predicament isn’t surprising, given Silicon Valley’s history of gender discrimination: Women in tech are paid less, kept out of high-ranking roles and face rampant sexual harassment. The biggest tech sexual misconduct scandal to unfold last year was at Uber, which fired 20 employees after harassment allegations blew up. 

Chang’s book is due to be published next month. You can read the full adaptation here

by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:06 AM
These are the secrets that people have been keeping or everyone knew and did nothing about.
That’s why I get angry at Ashly Judd or Meryl Streep suddenly want to do something about sexual harassment. They both knew and did nothing about it.
This is a shame that this is happening. It looks like this industry will be cleaned up too
Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:35 AM
That was something to read... wtf?
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:52 AM
I didn’t defend Roy Moore EVER.

Quoting lukesmom2002: You support our sexually perverted President and defended Roy Moore you are disgusting.

Quoting billsfan1104: These are the secrets that people have been keeping or everyone knew and did nothing about.
That’s why I get angry at Ashly Judd or Meryl Streep suddenly want to do something about sexual harassment. They both knew and did nothing about it.
This is a shame that this is happening. It looks like this industry will be cleaned up too
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this
Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these “E-parties” ?
Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That’s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life. You just don’t go around accusing people when you dont have proof.

Quoting billsfan1104: These are the secrets that people have been keeping or everyone knew and did nothing about.

That�s why I get angry at Ashly Judd or Meryl Streep suddenly want to do something about sexual harassment. They both knew and did nothing about it.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
They knew about the Weinstein and what he did.
I wasn’t talking about the e-parties.

Quoting GrayDuck41: Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these “E-parties” ?
Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That’s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life.

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM
I just explained that Meryl Streep refused to start accusing Weinstein until there was proof. You just don’t go around screaming “ he’s a rapist” based on rumors. He didn’t try anything with her .
Before you accuse anyone, you need proof.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59db5d87e4b072637c45420e/amp

Quoting billsfan1104: They knew about the Weinstein and what he did.

I wasn�t talking about the e-parties.

Quoting GrayDuck41: Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these �E-parties� ?

Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That�s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life.

That�s why I get angry at Ashly Judd or Meryl Streep suddenly want to do something about sexual harassment. They both knew and did nothing about it.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:13 AM
That’s because there isn’t any of me supporting Moore EVER.

Quoting lukesmom2002:
Quoting billsfan1104: I didn’t defend Roy Moore EVER.

Quoting lukesmom2002: You support our sexually perverted President and defended Roy Moore you are disgusting.

n

Then you support our Sexually perverted President I do not have time to find a few of you Moore loving comments on here. You are an awful human being.
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
That’s an excuse and a couple of his victims said she knew.

Quoting GrayDuck41: I just explained that Meryl Streep refused to start accusing Weinstein until there was proof. You just don’t go around screaming “ he’s a rapist” based on rumors. He didn’t try anything with her .
Before you accuse anyone, you need proof.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59db5d87e4b072637c45420e/amp

Quoting billsfan1104: They knew about the Weinstein and what he did.
I wasn�t talking about the e-parties.

Quoting GrayDuck41: Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these �E-parties� ?
Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That�s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life.

Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM
4 moms liked this
I honestly don’t believe Streep, Judd, Paltrow and others only suspected these things about Weinstein. I think they were afraid of stepping forward and ruining their careers. I think the culture of Hollywood made them afraid and they didn’t come out until they felt safe.

I’m not saying it is right or wrong because I think it is too easy to judge unless you are in that position, but I don’t think they only suspected it.

Quoting GrayDuck41: Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these “E-parties” ?
Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That’s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life. You just don’t go around accusing people when you dont have proof.

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

We've only began to see the tip of the iceberg with this sort of thing and in many industries, including politics.

Goes to show that it doesn't matter what a person does or *who* they are, skeletons are found in the closets of many.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)