Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Sex Parties of Silicon Valley

Posted by   + Show Post

What is wrong with people?!  -- Found on HuffPost

It’s no secret that women looking to get ahead in the tech industry often grapple with sacrifices and risks that their male counterparts don’t, but an upcoming book offers a glimpse at a lesser known element at play: exclusive, drug-fueled sex parties where claims of carnal liberation mask a problematic power dynamic. 

Bloomberg veteran Emily Chang’s upcoming book, Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley, denounces these freewheeling gatherings. An adaptation appeared in Vanity Fair on Tuesday.

Chang spoke to nearly two dozen people familiar with these parties, in which men ― typically first-round investors, prominent entrepreneurs and high-ranking executives ― mingle with young, attractive women working in tech or other tech-aligned industries. 

Anonymous sources described gatherings that are kept under wraps and often involve drugs, Chang wrote:

This is how the night goes down, according to those who have attended. Guests arrive before dinner and are checked in by private security guards, who will turn you away if you’re not on the list. ... Alcohol lubricates the conversation until, after the final course, the drugs roll out. Some form of MDMA, a.k.a. Ecstasy or Molly, known for transforming relative strangers into extremely affectionate friends, is de rigueur, including Molly tablets that have been molded into the logos of some of the hottest tech companies. Some refer to these parties as “E-parties.”

The sources said attendees are encouraged to become intimate with other guests. Oftentimes, the hosts enforce a higher ratio of women to men and lean “heavily toward male-heterosexual fantasies,” Chang observed. “Women are often expected to be involved in threesomes that include other women; male gay and bisexual behavior is conspicuously absent.”

While many of the men Chang spoke to view these gatherings as another way they’re disrupting the world, women face a dilemma: Skipping the party means missing out on the business deals and networking that take place there, but attending may have its own set of consequences. 

“If you do participate in these sex parties, don’t ever think about starting a company or having someone invest in you,” one female entrepreneur told Chang. “Those doors get shut. But if you don’t participate, you’re shut out. You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t.”

Other women who spoke to Chang said their male colleagues aggressively pursued and sexually harassed them after they found out they had attended some of the gatherings.

That predicament isn’t surprising, given Silicon Valley’s history of gender discrimination: Women in tech are paid less, kept out of high-ranking roles and face rampant sexual harassment. The biggest tech sexual misconduct scandal to unfold last year was at Uber, which fired 20 employees after harassment allegations blew up. 

Chang’s book is due to be published next month. You can read the full adaptation here

by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM
Replies (151-157):
Blackburn3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh my God I was just thinking the same thing. What a hypocrite !!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Please, someone screen shoot the below comment from ILive4This!!!!!!  It will be needed later as a reminder back to her.

Quoting ILive4This:

Yeah,  that's a lot of hearsay. Unless you saw it,  or it happened to you,  you must be very careful. Ruining someone's life based on rumors,  is pretty bogus.

Quoting billsfan1104: That’s an excuse and a couple of his victims said she knew.

Quoting GrayDuck41: I just explained that Meryl Streep refused to start accusing Weinstein until there was proof. You just don’t go around screaming “ he’s a rapist” based on rumors. He didn’t try anything with her .
Before you accuse anyone, you need proof.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59db5d87e4b072637c45420e/amp

Quoting billsfan1104: They knew about the Weinstein and what he did.
I wasn�t talking about the e-parties.

Quoting GrayDuck41: Meryl Streep and Ashley Judd knew about these �E-parties� ?
Meryl Streep heard rumors about Harvey Weinstein but wanted to wait for actual facts before screaming that Harvey was a rapist. That�s the intelligent and appropriate way to conduct your life.

Quoting billsfan1104: These are the secrets that people have been keeping or everyone knew and did nothing about.
That�s why I get angry at Ashly Judd or Meryl Streep suddenly want to do something about sexual harassment. They both knew and did nothing about it.
This is a shame that this is happening. It looks like this industry will be cleaned up too

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM

Don't be.  She is a liar.  

Quoting billsfan1104: I am sorry that she is doing this.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Of course I didn't say it.  She knows I did not say it.  

Quoting billsfan1104: This is why I won’t engage with her. Look how she calls me Adolph, adolph Hilter. You never ever said anything like she is accusing you of.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Liar

Quoting D-Town:

That is what you said. 

Quoting Btamilee2753:

So, here is your response to me:. "But you're the exact same type of low life you're accusing Streep of being. Actually, worse. because at least she never came out and said "go ahead and rape a child. Just don't get caught doing it." Are you accusing me of saying "go ahead and rape a child?  I sure hope not, because I never said such a thing.  Raping a child is NEVER right.  I have a strong opinion on Streep and her support of Polanski.  Not one word that you have rambled on about has changed my stance on being disappointed in Streeps support of a criminal. 

Quoting D-Town:

Yes. The exact same crime. They did the exact same crime. The only difference is one got caught, another got a different sentence or one used different methods to evade. 

You can have your opinion of Streep. But you're the exact same type of low life you're accusing Streep of being. Actually, worse. because at least she never came out and said "go ahead and rape a child. Just don't get caught doing it." 

Quoting Btamilee2753:

They all committed the same crimes?  The exact same crimes?  Regardless of their "talent" or their "awards" I have the option to make my own decision on who I respect.   Steep made a conscious decision to applaud Polanski well being  fully aware of his crimes.  She also made statements in which she felt sorry for him.  If you are ok with that fact then thats on you.  I am not. She lost my respect as a women with her choice to  support an admitted child molester. We all are responsible for our own words, and our own action.  Even if you are a renowned actress.    

Quoting D-Town:

It is one category. They were all sleeping with little girls. (and boys in some cases.) Just because one got caught and one didn't or one got a lighter sentence and decided to serve it while the other fled does not change that it was the same thing. They all committed crimes regardless of whether they were convicted or got a lighter sentence. It was still a crime and still disgusting. 

To mourn the loss of one pedophile because you appreciated one's talent while vilifying someone else for appreciating another pedobear's talent is the epitome of hypocrisy. To say that Streep should be vilified because Polanski fled while Nugents fans should be put on a pedestal because he found a way to avoid prosecution is hypocrisy. 

I will always be bothered by the fact that you think it's okay to rape a 13 yr old as long as you marry them after you're done abusing them and don't go to jail for it. 

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM

Ahh....let it go Bills.  She is a liar.  I don't report people.  Its childish.  She knows she got caught up in her own lie and is trying desperately to save face.   Its a pattern I am well aware of with her.  

Quoting billsfan1104: Someone post was removed for vile hateful stuff said to me. This is getting out of control with the slandered lies about another poster and lies about myself.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM

Your post was removed first. Don't start stuff you can't take. 

Not a single lie about you was told. And you have the spreadsheets to prove it. 

Quoting billsfan1104: Someone post was removed for vile hateful stuff said to me. This is getting out of control with the slandered lies about another poster and lies about myself.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

- P. J. O'Rourke
D-Town
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:52 PM

What's your excuse then? Did rehab fail? 

I see you're still going with the "Please feel sorry for me" line of bullshit. 

Quoting billsfan1104: I am sorry that she is doing this.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Of course I didn't say it.  She knows I did not say it.  

Quoting billsfan1104: This is why I won’t engage with her. Look how she calls me Adolph, adolph Hilter. You never ever said anything like she is accusing you of.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Liar

Quoting D-Town:

That is what you said. 

Quoting Btamilee2753:

So, here is your response to me:. "But you're the exact same type of low life you're accusing Streep of being. Actually, worse. because at least she never came out and said "go ahead and rape a child. Just don't get caught doing it." Are you accusing me of saying "go ahead and rape a child?  I sure hope not, because I never said such a thing.  Raping a child is NEVER right.  I have a strong opinion on Streep and her support of Polanski.  Not one word that you have rambled on about has changed my stance on being disappointed in Streeps support of a criminal. 

Quoting D-Town:

Yes. The exact same crime. They did the exact same crime. The only difference is one got caught, another got a different sentence or one used different methods to evade. 

You can have your opinion of Streep. But you're the exact same type of low life you're accusing Streep of being. Actually, worse. because at least she never came out and said "go ahead and rape a child. Just don't get caught doing it." 

Quoting Btamilee2753:

They all committed the same crimes?  The exact same crimes?  Regardless of their "talent" or their "awards" I have the option to make my own decision on who I respect.   Steep made a conscious decision to applaud Polanski well being  fully aware of his crimes.  She also made statements in which she felt sorry for him.  If you are ok with that fact then thats on you.  I am not. She lost my respect as a women with her choice to  support an admitted child molester. We all are responsible for our own words, and our own action.  Even if you are a renowned actress.    

Quoting D-Town:

It is one category. They were all sleeping with little girls. (and boys in some cases.) Just because one got caught and one didn't or one got a lighter sentence and decided to serve it while the other fled does not change that it was the same thing. They all committed crimes regardless of whether they were convicted or got a lighter sentence. It was still a crime and still disgusting. 

To mourn the loss of one pedophile because you appreciated one's talent while vilifying someone else for appreciating another pedobear's talent is the epitome of hypocrisy. To say that Streep should be vilified because Polanski fled while Nugents fans should be put on a pedestal because he found a way to avoid prosecution is hypocrisy. 

I will always be bothered by the fact that you think it's okay to rape a 13 yr old as long as you marry them after you're done abusing them and don't go to jail for it. 

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

- P. J. O'Rourke
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I will. I did report her post to me. She said I was a racist and she was going to call me a racist each time and then put the suicide hotline number in her post, mocking me for a suicide attempt.
I did report it, because it went to far. None of my posts have been deleted like she claims.
But it’s time for me to let it go, and continue to ignore her.
I hope you have a wonderful evening. I know I will

Quoting Btamilee2753:

Ahh....let it go Bills.  She is a liar.  I don't report people.  Its childish.  She knows she got caught up in her own lie and is trying desperately to save face.   Its a pattern I am well aware of with her.  

Quoting billsfan1104: Someone post was removed for vile hateful stuff said to me.
This is getting out of control with the slandered lies about another poster and lies about myself.

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Jan. 5, 2018 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Enjoy your evening.  :-)

Quoting billsfan1104: I will. I did report her post to me. She said I was a racist and she was going to call me a racist each time and then put the suicide hotline number in her post, mocking me for a suicide attempt. I did report it, because it went to far. None of my posts have been deleted like she claims. But it’s time for me to let it go, and continue to ignore her. I hope you have a wonderful evening. I know I will
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)