Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Give me 3 reasons slavery is good..

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:46 AM
  • 222 Replies

3 reasons it is good and 3 reasons it is bad was part of homework for a fourth grader. though i get the debate aspect, the time is not appropriate where say a decade ago it would have been less of an issue as homework.

so tell me, can you think of 3 good reasons?

by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MindyMichelle
by Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:51 AM
Slabery?
happymia
by Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Well i think slabery is pretty tricky
themrs007
by Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM
3 moms liked this
At what point in time do you think this assignment would be better?
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM
I have no idea what slabery is.
eliptica24
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:00 AM

>.< sorry was in a hurry when i typed it

lancet98
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:03 AM
5 moms liked this

The point of any thinking exercise is to think.  The point of MOST thinking exercises is to think, anyway....LOL.   

This one sounds suspect, that it can easily be about justifying or excusing slavery - what is usually called 'Racism' and 'Apologetics' (Apologetics really mean writing that something bad isn't really so bad, for selfish reasons).

The wording given by the OP doesn't sound hopeful that it really is a 'thinking exercise' at all.  Frankly it sounds like some racist wanting kids to think that there was a good side to slavery, which therefore is justification for modern racism.

And in fact, since slavery only offers short term economic gain and has devastating effects on both society and economy, it is totally justified to respond to this 'thinking exercise' by saying there IS no good side to slavery, and that can be amply  proven. 

Therefore, if a person is really thinking in this 'thinking exercise', he would refuse to answer the question at all, because the question itself has an irrational and false bias that biases the answer.

The question is a trap, just like, 'So, do you still beat your dog?'  If you say no, you admit to beating your dog, if you say yes, you admit to beating your dog.  There is no unbiased way to answer this question except to not answer half the question.  

A somewhat less irrational question would be: "Who benefitted from slavery, and who did not benefit from slavery?"

A child could answer that slave masters benefitted from slavery for a little while, because they got rich and had someone to do their work.   And that slaves did not benefit because they were told where to live and work, taken away from families, and not allowed an education.

The BASIC CONCEPT of both racism and slavery are the same.  This is why modern racists talk SO MUCH about how slavery was 'really not such a bad thing' and how we should 'really go back to slavery.'

In fact, slavery and racism are really two sides of the same coin.  They are based on the idea that one group has the right to dominate and brutalize another, BECAUSE one group is superior to the other.  Which obviously is bull.  

The basic concept behind both is that one type of human person is superior to another, and that superior type has a RIGHT to enslave the others.  

And....any system that is based on flawed logic will ALWAYS be damaging and ALWAYS be irrational and force people to adopt irrational, false beliefs.

So in that sense, slavery is intrinsically bad and cannot be good.  Any system that promotes irrational and false justifications for its existence will cause evil  in a society and in an economy.  It also makes the people within that system more vulnerable to despotism and autocratic, dishonest and selfish rulers.  It makes them tolerate brutality and corruption in their society.  It teaches them to tolerate cruelty. 

In short if people in a society believe in their right to enslave others, they can be made to believe anything.  

The more irrational and unfair the concepts behind a system are, the more damage that system inflicts upon society - on both the master AND the slave.

In short, slavery brutalizes all in the dominant group.  This effect on society alone, is devastating, long term.  

Here is an example.  A white slave owner could have a black 'mammy' breast feed his children.  One of her breasts could only be used by the white children and the other breast could only be used by her black children (if she were allowed to be near her children at all- often they would have been taken away).  This kind of practice is so completely insane and irrational that it causes psychological damage on both slave and master.

Slavery was 'good' from the point of view of the master....though only short term.

Slavery was bad from the point of view of the slave, from the point of view of history, AND from the point of view of modern society AND from the point of view of the economy.

Slaves didn't have the same self-determination that free men had.  They had little choice about what work they did or their education.  They had to obey a master whether the master was making them do something they felt was right or not.  They were often separated from husband, wife, children, grandparents, and made to work in unsafe conditions.  They were not allowed to speak their home language or follow their traditions.  They were forced to adopt a different religion than what they wished to follow. 

Most of all, they were forced to recognize that they had a master and that that master was superior to them and that's why the master was the master.

No one wants to live as a slave.  Even if the master is 'kind'.  Provides food and shelter and so on. People want to choose where and how they live and they want to be with their families.

Think about the mottos of the American states.  Those mottos are things like 'Live Free'.  'Our rights and liberties we will maintain.' (Iowa, I think).

But yes of course, the master liked slavery.  From the master's point of view slavery was great.  He had cheap workers - yes, buying a slave was cheap compared to paying people a wage for years.  That's why slavery existed in the first place - because it cost less to buy a slave than to pay cash wages for years.

Long term it caused severe economic problems.

For one thing, ALL systems of slavery are ALWAYS about CREATING AN ARTIFICIAL INEQUALITY among groups of people by denying one group education and development.

It always requires huge amounts of energy and resources to bring about and maintain a system of artificial inequality.  It always wastes huge amounts of productivity to keep one group unequal.

Long term, for the development of the country, was bad.  At some point the country had to get away from slavery because it was inhumane and it was an incredible waste of money and human resources. 

Yes, slavery wastes money long term.  Because it takes so many people and so much effort and time to maintain the system of slavery.

For one thing, slaves have very, very low productivity.

For another, so many people do nothing but constantly supervise the slaves because they are - slaves.  Slaves are not working willingly.  There has to be a huge number of people watching the slaves at all times, punishing the slaves, chasing slaves that escape and bringing them back - the courts, the police, the sherrifs, all are bogged down with trying to manage this increasingly inefficient and unwieldy system.  Eventually, the entire slave area becomes bogged down in controlling the slaves.

As a system slavery  just is not productive enough.  Even the most heartless person in the world who didn't care about human rights, if they 'did the math', would find that out.

All through history, many countries have grown and gotten more money by having cheap labor - but only for a short time.  Economically, slavery is like a shoe that fits briefly and then starts to pinch.  Why?  Because it is unwieldy.  It does not easily respond to changes in the economy.  It is not flexible.  It does not lead to innovation.  It does not lead to invention. 

Many countries had slaves through out history, indentured servants, share croppers, low-paid immigrants, or other sources of cheap labor.  But at some point, the system of slavery ALWAYS collapses because as a country becomes more modern, it simply cannot afford to have so many people be so unproductive, and because economies have to constantly change and flex as the world around them change.

In addition, if you have an inefficient system, and you have to CHANGE to another system, that 'costs' a great deal.  Change is always 'expensive' in terms of human conflict and confusion and anger.  Those things all have a 'cost.'

Change causes conflict - in the US it caused a war where brother fought brother.  The effects of that war are still creating conflicts today.  

KitschyMeow
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish I had exercises like this in school, because this type of exercise is designed to make you think outside your box.
eliptica24
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:31 AM
2 moms liked this

as in under the good things, put there is none. the end.

Quoting KitschyMeow: I wish I had exercises like this in school, because this type of exercise is designed to make you think outside your box.

KitschyMeow
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:34 AM
Well, I overthink. I am sure I could come up with 3 good reasons, if given a chance to think about it.

Quoting eliptica24:

as in under the good things, put there is none. the end.

Quoting KitschyMeow: I wish I had exercises like this in school, because this type of exercise is designed to make you think outside your box.

DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 4:41 AM
5 moms liked this
I wouldn’t be able to come up with any reasons why slavery is good, but I could come up with a ton of bad reasons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)