Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hawaii officials say missile alert was mistake ADDED PHOTO TEXT ALERT!

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM
  • 146 Replies

Hawaii officials say missile alert was mistake
1/13/18 1:38 PM
HONOLULU — The Latest on a missile threat mistakenly sent by Hawaii officials (all times local):

8:35 a.m.

Hawaii emergency officials say an alert of a ballistic missile threat is a false alarm.

The alert stated there was a threat “inbound to Hawaii” and for residents to seek shelter and that “this is not a drill.”

The alert caused a panic when it went to people’s cellphones Saturday morning but, shortly after, authorities said it was a mistake.

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency spokesman Richard Rapoza says it’s not clear what caused the alert to go out.

by on Jan. 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jpickens
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Jesus my heart sank into my stomach. Thank god I didn’t hear this before the alert was determined false.

Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware of this.
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Jan. 13, 2018 at 1:52 PM
8 moms liked this
I can't help but think this was deleliberate or at the smallest scale... preventable
LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Crazy! 

And Trump was on the golf course when this alert was sent out.

Quoting couture-mommy: I can't help but think this was deleliberate or at the smallest scale... preventable

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM

Terrible

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM
My DD was hysterical calling us. I couldn't understand her and thought something happened to son in law at first. They failed miserably with this.
Seafaith
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't imagine the terror the population there felt. Their congress woman said they only have 15 mins. to find shelter and it took almost 30's to let the people know it was a false alarm.

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm listening to story right now from a man who had his children in a tub praying! He is very mad! Wants to know why it took 38 minutes for the false alarm to sound out when it only takes 15 minutes for a missile to get to them!

Quoting atlmom2: My DD was hysterical calling us. I couldn't understand her and thought something happened to son in law at first. They failed miserably with this.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't even imagine!
LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
There saying human error! During shift change an employee pushed the wrong button!

Quoting couture-mommy: I can't help but think this was deleliberate or at the smallest scale... preventable
GrettieMeh
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this

It shouldn't be so easy to make that kind of human error.  I'm so happy it was a false alarm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)