Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oklahoma Officials Caught on Tape Calling MLK Day 'N-Word Day'

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:09 AM
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this
On Wednesday (January 10), the Green County city of Warner, Oklahoma, held an emergency meeting to address a scandal that has been brewing since an audio that captures several high ranking officials referring to Martin Luther King day as "N****r Day," made national news.

Fox 23 Tulsa first reported the incident after a city employee by the name of Michael Wittmer (pictured above) supplied the station with a recording that he took while convening with colleagues at Warner City Hall. On the tape, the voices of several men can be heard dialoguing on the upcoming holiday to honor the civil rights icon. “No n****r day off for us,” one can be heard saying in response to a question on whether or not they'd have to report for work next Monday.

“I’m not celebrating n***er day,” a different man at one point says, before continuing on to say, “But we just call it J.E.R. day. James Earl Ray ... Not that we don’t like black people." Yet another city employee then adds that he's "not racist" but that James Earl Ray Day is "just what it’s called here.”

Warner Town Manager Johnny Lewis has confirmed that the incident, which is said to have taken place on Monday (January 8) remains under investigation.

by on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:11 AM
That’s disgusting.
Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:14 AM
WTF? I really don’t get it.
noozjunkee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds about right. I had a heated discussion with some family members in OK over the holidays about MLK day. In our district, we don't get Veteran's day, but we do get MLK day and it has created a debateable controversy. My OK family, bless their hearts, are racists. I'd say a tad racists, but even a little bit is too damn much.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Jesus Jones.
mommy_jules
by Julie on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
SMH...it amazes me how people are so blind to their own behavior.
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
It’s just discouraging. Calling it “N word” Day is unforgivable.
And people say there is no longer any racism of the past. It’s still racism and seems to be increasing or at least more out in the open . The racists feel enabled now.
Horrible.
DezandDamesmom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2018 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Wtf? People can be so disgusting. I dont understand how someones skin color being different effects someone elses life.
WilyMommy
by Missbod on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Why would they call it James Earl Ray Day instead? It’s obvious they’re racist so why does it matter who’s name they use? Is it a way to disrespect the day and/or MLK by taking his name out of it?

SuG4
by Firestarter on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM
5 moms liked this
He killed King!

Quoting WilyMommy:

Why would they call it James Earl Ray Day instead? It’s obvious they’re racist so why does it matter who’s name they use? Is it a way to disrespect the day and/or MLK by taking his name out of it?

WilyMommy
by Missbod on Jan. 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh shit! Whoops ha. That’s totally fucked up.

And they say they aren’t racist... 

Quoting SuG4: He killed King!
Quoting WilyMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)