Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where have we gone wrong in society to where this is needed

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 5:36 PM
  • 65 Replies

Mobile Photo

Sorry it’s sideways. Anyway, I’m sitting in my kitchen, cooking dinner and flipping through Cosmo when I run across this cosmo men article called How Not To Be A Sexual Harasser Even If You Think You Could Never Be That Guy by Ashley Mateo and Kaitlin Mensa.

This article is making it seem like only men can be harassers when in truth so can women. It’s complete with a guide book for the workplace. Our society is so fucked right now.
by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuG4
by Firestarter on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM
5 moms liked this
Well, it’s no longer the “boys will be boys”, school of thought, when it comes to bad boy behavior! No matter how old the BOY is!

If young men weren’t taught how to treat a female, by those who raised them, then the law will!!
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I don’t see a problem with this article.
Yes , many parents still need to be aware of the necessity of raising kids to never take advantage of others sexually or in any way.
MissAndree
by Ronita on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM
In an article geared toward women, they are focusing on men, but that is very heteronormative.
MissAndree
by Ronita on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Also, this has always been needed, but it's a shame that it took us so long to get here, where we are publicly addressing it. But let's not pretend that this is a new problem, because it isn't.
SuG4
by Firestarter on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM
What does that last word mean?

Quoting MissAndree: In an article geared toward women, they are focusing on men, but that is very heteronormative.
handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your point though, madeye... Women can be just as much sexual jerks as guys can.

The problem is that, ever more increasingly, we no longer respect others.

I think another growing problem is that for some, anything can = "sexual harassment" if the woman (and only the woman) decides to look at it that way. That's a problem as well, but I don't think it's one many women want to accept.

Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:20 PM
3 moms liked this

This has always been needed. I do not see a problem with it.  It is the same as racism.  People think they are not racist and have no clue what implicit bias is and how it exists.  

There is nothing wrong with exposing societal norms for what they are in hopes of changing thoughts and behaviors. 

MissAndree
by Ronita on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It's geared toward men and women in heterosexual relationships.

Quoting SuG4: What does that last word mean?

Quoting MissAndree: In an article geared toward women, they are focusing on men, but that is very heteronormative.
Madeyemoody
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember sitting in the gym in middle school watching a presentation on sexual harassment and again in high school and again in the workplace. The education has always been there. However, we shouldn’t be pointing fingers at just one gender when both are capable of harassment and both do, in fact, harass in and out of the workplace.

Quoting MissAndree: Also, this has always been needed, but it's a shame that it took us so long to get here, where we are publicly addressing it. But let's not pretend that this is a new problem, because it isn't.
SuG4
by Firestarter on Jan. 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I just used that term in the post about kids in drag! LOL

I don’t think it fits there.

Quoting MissAndree: It's geared toward men and women in heterosexual relationships.

Quoting SuG4: What does that last word mean?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)