Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bannon avoids Grand Jury, will meet w/ prosecutors instead.

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/politics/bannon-mueller-strike-deal/index.html

Washington (CNN)Steve Bannon has struck a deal with special counsel Robert Mueller's team and will be interviewed by prosecutors instead of testifying before the grand jury, two people familiar with the process told CNN. He is expected to cooperate with the special counsel, the sources said.

The sources did not say when the interview will take place or if the subpoena would be withdrawn.
Bannon, the former White House chief strategist for President Donald Trump, is expected to talk openly to Mueller's team. Bannon's attorney told the House Intelligence Committee on Tuesday that Bannon would answer questions when he goes to the special counsel because executive privilege would not apply, according to one of the sources
A spokesman for the special counsel's office declined to comment.
    Last week, the FBI attempted to serve Bannon with a subpoena to appear before the grand jury in the Russia probe. He referred agents to his attorney, multiple sources said.

Verified BM/SM/BOB .... wwnsdd?

by on Jan. 17, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-7):
    Wolffie
    by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I thought I read that Bannon was under a gag order and couldn't talk about the transition or the first six months of the presidency.

owl0210
    by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    That wouldn’t apply in a federal criminal investigation. He talks or he’ll be in contempt unless he is granted immunity.

Quoting Wolffie:

I thought I read that Bannon was under a gag order and couldn't talk about the transition or the first six months of the presidency.

meriana
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Will he still have to take an oath to tell the truth or is this a means of avoiding that and so avoiding a perjury charge if it's found at some point that he lied?

UnoDuoTres
    by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    1 mom liked this

It's still a crime to lie to the FBI during an interview. It's what Flynn was convicted of recently.

This deal makes his testimony a little less likely to leak, which leads credence to the suspicion that he is going to fully cooperate with Mueller.

Quoting meriana:

Will he still have to take an oath to tell the truth or is this a means of avoiding that and so avoiding a perjury charge if it's found at some point that he lied?

meriana
    by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 3:57 PM

Quoting UnoDuoTres:

It's still a crime to lie to the FBI during an interview. It's what Flynn was convicted of recently.

This deal makes his testimony a little less likely to leak, which leads credence to the suspicion that he is going to fully cooperate with Mueller.

Quoting meriana:

Thanks for clarifying. I hope he does fully cooperate and sheds some light on all this. What does or does not happen after his time with prosecutors will be interesting.

Wolffie
    by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    Okay. Makes sense. I learned something new today. :-)

Quoting owl0210: That wouldn’t apply in a federal criminal investigation. He talks or he’ll be in contempt unless he is granted immunity.

Quoting Wolffie:

LittleLizette
    by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 7:51 PM

It means that he is now willing to actually answer questions.  And he can't lie.  He is an important part of this investigation because he knows all about the letter drafted by big Trump regarding little Trump's meeting with the Russians.  Big Trump lied and stated in the letter that the meeting was about adoption.  Then of course, the emails were leaked and that was proven to be a lie.  Trump Jr. lied.  Big Trump lied.  It's a problem.

Quoting meriana:

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)