Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump says privately that a terror attack could save him and GOP from 2018 election bloodbath: report

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this
Faced with the likelihood of a “blue tsunami” in the 2018 midterm elections, President Donald Trump is holding out hope that terrorists will attack the country, reported the Washington Post on Wednesday.

“In private conversations,” said the Post, “Trump has told advisers that he doesn’t think the 2018 election has to be as bad as others are predicting. He has referenced the 2002 midterms, when George W. Bush and Republicans fared better after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, these people said.”

Matthew Yglesias at Vox.com wrote, “(T)his is a frightening line of thought for an incumbent president and his team to be entertaining.”

“(I)f the president and his top staff are not so concerned with democracy but purely political power, that’s a terrifying proposition,” said Yglesias.

If Trump believes that a terror attack will be a boon to his political fortunes, asked Vox, “How hard is he really working to keep the country safe?”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/17/16893408/donald-trumps-2018-plan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/new-alarm-among-republicans-that-democrats-could-win-big-this-year/2018/01/13/9be31acc-f8a8-11e7-beb6-c8d48830c54d_story.html?utm_term=.c560f6e3b26e
by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:58 AM
🙄🙄🙄

Sadly not surprising.
UnoDuoTres
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 6:12 AM

Back in 2001, I considered the liklihood of the (then Republican) government orchastrating a terrorist attack on the USA for the purposes of boosting Bush and justifying a war in the Middle East to be near enough zero to be discountable.

Honestly, I still consider the possibility of the federal government orchastrating an attack to be near zero, though not for entirely the same reasons.

Both then and now the biggest deterrent is the probability of being discovered. Even back in 2001 when there were not many leaks, a secret of that magnitude and that far on the wrong side of the treason line would have been almost impossible to keep. I also felt that while Bush and his administration were wrong on a whole heap of policy decisions, most were honestly wrong. They thought they were working for the benefit of America.

I don't think this current administration shares that honest wrongness that the Bush administration had. This administration is unabashedly self-serving and barely pretends to have America's interests at heart. But this administration has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to keep secrets of far lower gravity than would be involved in manufacturing a terrorist incident.

I have no doubt that there would be a good 25% of the country that would refuse to acknowledge the act, even were the administration to openly perform it, but sufficient of the nation would care to make carrying out such an operation too far beyond reckless even for the Trump administration.

nb34
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this

He is a piece of shit for thinking this, but I am not surprised. Seems like his plans to go to war sith NK are failing, since the Koreans will be attending Winter Olympics under one unified flag. He needs something, he doesn't care if his own people are sacrificed.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:32 AM
8 moms liked this
So no proof that he said this. Gotcha.
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this
It's not surprising when you look at what they did with tax reform and tried to do with repeal and replace. Despite the fact that both bills were hugely unpopular and projected to make things worse for average Americans, they still tried to ram them through. They only care about winning. I'm not saying democrats are much different but at least their version of winning tries to help people.
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I read both the articles and in now way did he say what the title said. Not even close.
Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 7:45 AM
3 moms liked this
I no Trump fan, but this is getting ridiculous.

Quoting billsfan1104: I read both the articles and in now way did he say what the title said. Not even close.
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting billsfan1104: I read both the articles and in now way did he say what the title said. Not even close.

Probably because OP's article is from rawstory and its intent is to start conspiracy theory. 

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
But he never said it. This is dangerous for people to put this out there like this and totally mistrpresent and even lie about what he said.
It’s not like that dude who was Obama’s friend who said “never let a tragedy go to waste”.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Probably because OP's article is from rawstory and its intent is to start conspiracy theory. 

lancet98
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:18 AM

Don't ask how hard he's working at keeping the country safe - ask how hard he's working at hiring some cowboys to dress up in togas and run around shooting guns off and yelling 'Yellah Akbarn!'

Quoting -Celestial-: Faced with the likelihood of a “blue tsunami” in the 2018 midterm elections, President Donald Trump is holding out hope that terrorists will attack the country, reported the Washington Post on Wednesday. “In private conversations,” said the Post, “Trump has told advisers that he doesn’t think the 2018 election has to be as bad as others are predicting. He has referenced the 2002 midterms, when George W. Bush and Republicans fared better after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, these people said.” Matthew Yglesias at Vox.com wrote, “(T)his is a frightening line of thought for an incumbent president and his team to be entertaining.” “(I)f the president and his top staff are not so concerned with democracy but purely political power, that’s a terrifying proposition,” said Yglesias. If Trump believes that a terror attack will be a boon to his political fortunes, asked Vox, “How hard is he really working to keep the country safe?” https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/17/16893408/donald-trumps-2018-plan https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/new-alarm-among-republicans-that-democrats-could-win-big-this-year/2018/01/13/9be31acc-f8a8-11e7-beb6-c8d48830c54d_story.html?utm_term=.c560f6e3b26e

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)