Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California AG: ‘We Will Prosecute’ Employers Who Cooperate with Federal Immigration Officials

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

What in the world is he thinking? The state government has no authority to order citizens not to comply with federal law in areas where the federal government has clear jurisdiction (which includes immigration). Doing so is a violation of the Supremacy Clause of the 14th Amendment.

O M G

California AG: ‘We Will Prosecute’ Employers Who Cooperate with Federal Immigration Officials

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) says his office “will prosecute” employers who cooperate with federal immigration officials to deport criminal illegal aliens from the United States.

In a press conference on Thursday, the pro-open borders attorney general warned California employers of new state laws that barred businesses from providing information on illegal aliens to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency that would aid in deportations.

Becerra said, according to NTK Network:

There are new laws in place in California now in 2018 with the advent of 2018. I mentioned two of them specifically, AB 450 and SB 54. AB 450 in particular deals with the workplace in particular and how we go about treating the information about the workplace and employees at the workplace by employers.What we’re trying to make sure is that employers are aware that in 2018, there is a new law in place.

We will prosecute those who violate [California] law.

Under AB 450, employers are banned from having to reverify an employees’ immigration status that is not required by federal immigration law. Likewise, the law bans employers from “providing voluntary consent to an immigration enforcement agent to enter nonpublic areas of a place of labor unless the agent provides a judicial warrant, except as specified.”

Under SB 54, as Breitbart News reported, California is a “sanctuary state,” which bans public officials and employers from turning over criminal illegal aliens to federal immigration officials.

The announcement by Becerra comes as ICE has reportedly planned a large-scale arrest, detainment, and deportation effort in northern California’s San Francisco Bay Area in the next month.

by on Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Pema_Jampa
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:12 PM
Source?
handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

A much better source than this one is the Sacramento Bee... basically, the law just ensures that ICE can't violate people's rights.

Here's a link to the Bee's report:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195434409.html

And here is a bullet point summation of what the AG is referring to:

Authored by San Francisco Democratic Assemblyman David Chiu, the bill:

▪ Requires employers to ask immigration agents for a warrant before granting access to a worksite.

▪ Prevents employers from voluntarily sharing confidential employee information without a subpoena.

▪ Requires employers to notify their workers before a federal audit of employee records.

▪ Gives the attorney general and labor commissioner exclusive authority to enforce new provisions of state labor laws.

▪ Prohibits employers from re-verifying information on employment verification forms, unless compelled to by federal law.

I"m all for it. I think it's terrible the way that the right in general and Trump in particular are demonizing undocumented workers and disrupting families. Like that poor guy who was brought to this nation as a 10 year old, lived here for 30 years, never been in trouble, owned his business, has a wife, kids... and was shipped off to Mexico.

It's just wrong. Absolutely WRONG.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Source?

Pema_Jampa
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2018 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for responding with a better source.

Quoting handy0318:

A much better source than this one is the Sacramento Bee... basically, the law just ensures that ICE can't violate people's rights.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195434409.html

▪ Requires employers to ask immigration agents for a warrant before granting access to a worksite.

▪ Prevents employers from voluntarily sharing confidential employee information without a subpoena.

▪ Requires employers to notify their workers before a federal audit of employee records.

▪ Gives the attorney general and labor commissioner exclusive authority to enforce new provisions of state labor laws.

▪ Prohibits employers from re-verifying information on employment verification forms, unless compelled to by federal law.

I"m all for it. I think it's terrible the way that the right in general and Trump in particular are demonizing undocumented workers and disrupting families. Like that poor guy who was brought to this nation as a 10 year old, lived here for 30 years, never been in trouble, owned his business, has a wife, kids... and was shipped off to Mexico.

noozjunkee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM

I read this article and I could have sworn I put the link for the source in it. While I expect that ICE do their job it is irresponsible to tell state employees to ignore federal law.

And FWIW, I find your blip reply rude and perhaps even condescending, but I don't have a special font decoder button for this site, so I'm probably wrong.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Thanks for responding with a better source.
Quoting handy0318:

noozjunkee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM

How hard is it to cut the title and do a web search when the link isn't obvious? I do it all the time.

Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)