Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iowa Boys Charged In Connection With Deaths Of Half A Million Honeybees

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

Iowa Boys Charged In Connection With Deaths Of Half A Million Honeybees

January 19, 2018 2:55 AM ET

A hive of honeybees on display at the beekeeping convention in Vermont in 2014.

Andy Duback/AP

Two boys have been charged with killing a half-million bees after they allegedly vandalized a honey farm in Sioux City, Iowa, knocking over hives and exposing the bees to deadly winter temperatures.

The suspects are 12 and 13 years old and their names are not being released because of their age.

Police announced Wednesday that the boys had been arrested. They have been charged with criminal mischief, agricultural animal facilities offenses and burglary, all felonies, according to The Sioux City Journal.

"They knocked over every single hive, killing all the bees. They wiped us out completely," Justin Engelhardt, who owns Wild Hill Honey with his wife, Tori Engelhardt, told the newspaper last month when the vandalism took place.

"They broke into our shed, they took all our equipment out and threw it out in the snow, smashed what they could," he said, calling the crime "completely senseless."

"It was amazing and we are deeply grateful for all of the contributions from the people of Sioux City and people around the country," Engelhardt said. "It's thanks to those contributions that we'll be able to rebuild in the spring. We've already made arrangements to get some hives down south and we'll bring them up in the spring and we'll be right back to where we were."

The agricultural animal facilities charge has been on the books in Iowa only since 1991 and the Woodbury County assistant attorney, Mark Campbell, was quoted by the Journal as saying he could not recall a single case in his jurisdiction where it had ever been prosecuted.

A die-off of pollinating honeybees in recent years has caused concern among scientists. As NPR reported last year, "Researchers have scrambled to figure out what's killing the bees, and they've identified some factors — including pesticides aimed at killing insects, reduced forage plants, and bee mites and other diseases."

by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

This is horrible.  Those boys wiped out an entire business.  And they weren't insured so this loss will come out of their pocket.  Fortunately they have $30,000 in GoFundMe pledges.  Their parents should be held accountable for the $60,000 loss.  

astheworldspins
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this
12 and 13 is plenty old enough to have known better. I'm not sure what punishment or sentence I would give, but it would be severe. They should have to work to help recroup any cost. And they would work every free moment they have. They potentially cost someone their entire livelihood.
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:55 PM
Those boys need to work off the damages to pay this family back. They destroyed their livelihood. Such blatant disregard for people makes me so sad.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 2:58 PM
Something similar recently happened where someone poured fuel on a keeper’s hives. Destroyed an entire year’s worth of profits. Freaking despicable.
81Crystal
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:02 PM
I think the boy's parents should have to pay back the owners. Having the boys work it off isn't feasible.

I hope the parents make their son's lives miserable.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: Those boys need to work off the damages to pay this family back. They destroyed their livelihood. Such blatant disregard for people makes me so sad.
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM
4 moms liked this

And damaged the agriculture business too.  We rely on bees to pollenate crops.  No bees, no crops.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: Something similar recently happened where someone poured fuel on a keeper’s hives. Destroyed an entire year’s worth of profits. Freaking despicable.

Jambo4
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Little snots!  Ooh, they'd be glad I am not their parents!

Jambo4
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:07 PM

I agree with both of you.

Quoting 81Crystal: I think the boy's parents should have to pay back the owners. Having the boys work it off isn't feasible. I hope the parents make their son's lives miserable.
Quoting BluesPagan2.0: Those boys need to work off the damages to pay this family back. They destroyed their livelihood. Such blatant disregard for people makes me so sad.

ihave1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM
I was so sad when I heard about this. Glad they will be getting punished.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2018 at 10:18 PM

Awful! I'm glad they will be punished.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)