Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

s/o: Short Term Vacation Rentals and Neighborhoods

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:15 PM
  • 79 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you support STVRs moving into your residential neighborhood?

Options:

Yes, explain:

No, explain:

Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

This came up in another thread so as not to derail that one I started a spin off. 

My neighborhood is currently in a hot debate about allowing STVRs (short term vacation rentals, like Airbnb) to operate legally. Currently they are illegal in my neighborhood but some folks are still operating them. 

A few folks are just renting out their extra rooms or their carraige houses (converted garage apartments) but others are buying up starter homes and running whole home STVRs...one guy is operating over two dozen illegal whole home STVRs in our neighborhood alone. This guy is ignoring the city fines and is working hard at the state level to change the law. He lives in another city. 

Our neighborhood is torn between a vocal few (mostly consisting of those operating the illegal STVRs and real estate agents who market homes as possible STVR investments) and those of us who moved here because it has been a traditional neighborhood.

The pro's say it's about property rights and people should be able to do whatever they want with their property regardless of how it may or may not affect neighbors.

The con's say they bought in this neighborhood for a reason, because everyone knows their neighbors, kids play in the streets together while neighbors watch out for them even without asking and we look out for each other when we are gone on vacation, etc....and STVRs remove housing that could be used for year round residents who contribute daily to our neighborhood. That your neighbors are also home owners with rights and you wouldn't allow any other commercial business to break zoning laws and move in next door in such an area since it impacts everyone. 

We have also seen what STVRs have done to other neighborhoods here where they are legal....neighborhoods that went nearly 50% STVR within a year or two, families moving out because different strangers were moving in and out of the houses around them every few days...drunken parties and general mayhem by people that are not invested in a neighborhood but are only there on vacation and to party.

What are your feelings if you bought a house in an area because you loved the neighborhood and everything it offered and STVRs started to move in?

Pro or con? 

Nasty Woman Power

by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrayDuck41
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:36 PM
The description here of the STVR cases is kind of off-putting. A bit scary.
I only know about the VRBO organization that is extremely careful when renting homes to vacationing people, families.
( Vacation Rentals by Owner)
We rented a home in Sherman Oaks,CA , a beautiful neighborhood, and of course we treated it gently and kept it clean , etc.for a week a few years ago.

I haven’t heard any negative reports from people who have rented and they rent all over the USA. We researched before we rented.
I don’t think it would be a problem if people rented out their homes in my neighborhood. But it would have to be done with a rental agency, to make sure it went well, right?
lizzielouaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:46 PM
I am soooooo against this.
Our last house, which is not even a mile from our previous house, had quite a few short term rentals near it. I was in my kitchen doing dishes with the window open and one of the renters was standing under my window smoking pot. There were also multiple occasions the renters would come home drunk, throw garbage in our yard, etc. I had to become THAT neighbor who called the police.
Our current home does not seem to be in an area with short term rentals. Before I wrote this response I actually checked VRBO and nothing around me. Our city recently made short term rentals legal.
Not a fan
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

it does not need to be done by an agency. 

How would you feel if more than half your neighbors on your street moved and started operating those houses as STVRs with new people coming and going every few days on your street? 

Quoting GrayDuck41: The description here of the STVR cases is kind of off-putting. A bit scary. I only know about the VRBO organization that is extremely careful when renting homes to vacationing people, families. ( Vacation Rentals by Owner) We rented a home in Sherman Oaks,CA , a beautiful neighborhood, and of course we treated it gently and kept it clean , etc.for a week a few years ago. I haven’t heard any negative reports from people who have rented and they rent all over the USA. We researched before we rented. I don’t think it would be a problem if people rented out their homes in my neighborhood. But it would have to be done with a rental agency, to make sure it went well, right?

Nasty Woman Power

GrayDuck41
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM
That’s probably why there can be issues with renting homes in neighborhoods—no agency involvement.
That’s why VRBO works so well.
I wouldn’t want any homes rented out in my neighborhood unless they were done by a rental agency

Quoting NWP:

How would you feel if more than half your neighbors on your street moved and started operating those houses as STVRs with new people coming and going every few days on your street? 

Quoting GrayDuck41: The description here of the STVR cases is kind of off-putting. A bit scary.
I only know about the VRBO organization that is extremely careful when renting homes to vacationing people, families.
We rented a home in Sherman Oaks,CA , a beautiful neighborhood, and of course we treated it gently and kept it clean , etc.for a week a few years ago.

I haven’t heard any negative reports from people who have rented and they rent all over the USA. We researched before we rented.
I don’t think it would be a problem if people rented out their homes in my neighborhood. But it would have to be done with a rental agency, to make sure it went well, right?

lizzielouaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this
It does not matter if it is an agency or not. Agencies do not do background checks or screen the renters, they make sure the payment clears.

Quoting GrayDuck41: That’s probably why there can be issues with renting homes in neighborhoods—no agency involvement.
I wouldn’t want any homes rented out in my neighborhood unless they were done by a rental agency

Quoting NWP:

Quoting GrayDuck41: The description here of the STVR cases is kind of off-putting. A bit scary.

GrayDuck41
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM
I disagree. They’re strict and they inspect and do credit checks, etc.

Quoting lizzielouaf: It does not matter if it is an agency or not. Agencies do not do background checks or screen the renters, they make sure the payment clears.

Quoting GrayDuck41: That’s probably why there can be issues with renting homes in neighborhoods—no agency involvement.

Quoting NWP:

niceandhappy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 2:00 PM

Don't really know what the issue is? I have no control over who my neighbors are now. Many people rent their houses when they can't sell, with month to month leases. I don't feel it's any of my business who they rent to. I have used VRBO, too, but usually in popular vacation spots, not residential areas. 

lizzielouaf
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 2:11 PM
Could you please link their performing background checks? I can not find it. Also, a credit check literally shows nothing other than an individual’s ability to pay bills. I could not care less about the short term renter’s credit score, next to my home, my residential home.

Quoting GrayDuck41: I disagree. They’re strict and they inspect and do credit checks, etc.

Quoting lizzielouaf: It does not matter if it is an agency or not. Agencies do not do background checks or screen the renters, they make sure the payment clears.

Quoting NWP:

mommy_jules
by Julie on Jan. 21, 2018 at 2:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I'm not in an area known for tourism, so I don't see it as a problem. I can understand why you'd have a problem with it though.
GrayDuck41
by on Jan. 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM

Okay.

I guess of the past owners rent their home out themselves without an agency then they obviosly don't want to spend the money to pay an agency and the neigborhood will go downhill.

Ugh.

Quoting lizzielouaf: Could you please link their performing background checks? I can not find it. Also, a credit check literally shows nothing other than an individual’s ability to pay bills. I could not care less about the short term renter’s credit score, next to my home, my residential home.
Quoting GrayDuck41: I disagree. They’re strict and they inspect and do credit checks, etc.
Quoting GrayDuck41: That’s probably why there can be issues with renting homes in neighborhoods—no agency involvement. That’s why VRBO works so well. I wouldn’t want any homes rented out in my neighborhood unless they were done by a rental agency
Quoting NWP:

Quoting GrayDuck41: The description here of the STVR cases is kind of off-putting. A bit scary. I only know about the VRBO organization that is extremely careful when renting homes to vacationing people, families. ( Vacation Rentals by Owner) We rented a home in Sherman Oaks,CA , a beautiful neighborhood, and of course we treated it gently and kept it clean , etc.for a week a few years ago. I haven’t heard any negative reports from people who have rented and they rent all over the USA. We researched before we rented. I don’t think it would be a problem if people rented out their homes in my neighborhood. But it would have to be done with a rental agency, to make sure it went well, right?

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Mahatma Gandhi
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)