Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Schooling

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM
  • 158 Replies

I've seen 2 negative posts today about homeschooling. One indicating that home schooled kids are ignorant, and another indicating that home school kids are abused.

And here:

It's legal, and in most states there are checks and blances the parent is SUPPOSED to legally abide by.

The legal form homeschooling takes varies from state to state. In some states, parents homeschool under a homeschool statute while in other states theyhomeschool under the private laws. Depending on the state, parents may alsohomeschool through umbrella schools or through private tutor statutes.

Do you think home schooling should be illegal? More regulated?

Do you think home schooled kids are at a disadvantage from traditionally schooled kids?

Do you think they're more ignorant?

Do you think they're more likely to be abused?

If you have an issue with a religious household home schooling, do you have the same issues with a non-religious household home schooling?

by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:19 AM

Some statistics and articles to help the discussion:

The new report concludes that approximately 1,770,000 students are homeschooled in the United States—3.4% of the school-age population. NCES said that among children who were homeschooled, 68 percent are white, 15 percent are Hispanic, 8 percent are black, and 4 percent are Asian or Pacific Islander.Sep 3, 2013

Homeschooling Without God

Does Homeschooling Make Children More Religious?

Statistics About Nonpublic Education in the United States

by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Homeschool Fast Facts

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 3.3% of all school-age children in the United States were homeschooled in 2016. That adds up to close to two million children.

The National Center for Education Statistics reports that 3.3% of all school-age children in the United States were homeschooled in 2016, down slightly from 3.4% in 2012.

In 2016, parents cited an average of 3.5 reasons for homeschooling. The most common reasons were concern about the environment in other schools, academics, and religion.

The National Center for Education Statistics reported that in 2016, 3.9% of poor children were homeschooled compared with 3.1% of non-poor children.

This finding by the National Center for Education Statistics is likely related to the growing diversity of homeschooling; in 2016, 26% of homeschooled students were Hispanic.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 4.4% of children whose parents have not completed high school were homeschooled, compared to 3.6% of children whose parents have a bachelor’s degree.

The National Center for Education Statistics found that 51% of homeschooling parents cited religious reasons for homeschooling in 2016, down from 64% in 2012.

Homeschooling originated among progressive educational reformers in the late 1970s, and was adopted by evangelical and fundamentalist Christians in the 1980s.

A wide range of studies have found that homeschooled students underperform in math relative to their peers. Several studies indicate that this math gap results in a lower percentage of homeschoolers pursuing degrees in STEM fields.

Homeschooled students take the SAT and ACT, often viewed as a proxy for intent to attend college, at far lower rates than other students.

Only a handful of states require homeschooling parents to show evidence that they are educating their children. In eleven states, including Texas, homeschooling parents are not required to have any contact with school officials.

A 2014 study of child torture found that 47% of school-age child torture victims were removed from school to be homeschooled.

by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don’t care what people do. As long as they are meeting state requirements, I don’t see the big deal.

ETA: Yes, It should be a choice. It is not something I ever thought of doing, but for whatever reason it should be a choice.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM
4 moms liked this
Abuse and ignorance can certainly happen more easily in an isolated, highly-controlled environment like a home school. But I don’t think that’s how MOST people utilize that option. I don’t think they should be outlawed, but making sure kids are receiving the baseline of education in order for them to be productive members of society post-graduation should be required. As far as abuse, that would be trickier to monitor. Without a requirement of vaccinations like in public school, the kids could literally go their entire childhood without seeing an adult able to recognize abuse. Which is scary, but giving up too many parental rights to the govt is also scary to many people.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
My son is homeschooled. I hired a private tutor for his high school classes and he takes a full course load at a college. He will have his associates in computer science when he graduates early from high school next year. Texas schools are pretty awful even in the top ISD's.

by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not that they're abused, it's that a predator or abuser has the wherewithall to carry out their crap.  If this daughter hadn't run away, the abuse would still be going on.  They weren't saved because someone saw them.

by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:31 AM

It happened to Jeanette Maples here. She had siblings in the public school system, but she was homeschooled to hide abuse.

A Eugene truck driver and his wife were arrested and charged Thursday with murdering the woman’s 16-year-old daughter by neglecting and torturing her, officials said.

The girl, identified as Jeanette Marie Maples, died Wednesday night at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield.

Medics from the Eugene Fire Department took the teen to the hospital after someone at the Howard Avenue home of Angela and Richard McAnulty called 911 just before 8 p.m. Wednesday to report that a person there was not breathing, Lane County sheriff’s officials said.

When medics arrived at the north Eugene home off River Road, they found the girl injured and unconscious in a bathtub, sheriff’s Capt. Bill Thompson said.

Medics reported the incident to sheriff’s officials, who later arrested Richard Anthony McAnulty, 40, and Angela Darlene McAnulty, 41, in connection with the teen’s death.

They each appeared Thursday in Lane County Circuit Court on a charge of aggravated murder. They are being held at the Lane County Jail.

Prosecutors have not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty against the McAnultys, Lane County Chief Deputy District Attorney Patty Perlow said.

Court documents filed in support of the charges state that the alleged murder was caused “by neglect and maltreatment” and “occurred in the course of, or as a result of, intentional maiming and torture of the victim.”

Thompson declined to say exactly what sort of abuse investigators suspect the McAnultys inflicted upon the teen. But he said the circumstances of her death affected detectives working the case.

“Any homicide or death investigation represents a tragedy,” Thompson said. “When it’s a youth, it obviously ratchets it up a bit, and this one definitely has the attention of investigators.”

Thompson would not say who called 911 to the McAnultys’ rented house at 154 Howard Ave., citing the ongoing investigation.

The property’s owner, Tom Mirsepassi of Eugene, said he began renting the two-bedroom home to the McAnultys about four months ago.

“Oh my goodness!” Mirsepassi said repeatedly when informed Thursday of the allegations.

“I had no problems with them at all,” he said of the McAnultys. “They were very nice people when they came in.”

Jeanette Maples was a home-schooled student registered with Lane Education Service District, Assistant Superintendent Carol Knobbe said.

Knobbe said she could not say how long Maples had been registered with the district, or provide any other details about the arrangement. She said the district’s only obligation to a home-schooled student “is to be the recipient of required testing.”

“Parents are responsible for getting their child tested at proper grade levels,” Knobbe said.

Thompson said a 12-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy — both of whom are Angela McAnulty’s children — also lived at the home.

Thompson said Richard Mc­Anulty is the boy’s father, but he did not know who fathered the 12-year-old girl. Richard McAnulty was Maples’ stepfather.

State child welfare workers were caring Thursday for the children, both of whom were at the home when medics arrived there Wednesday night, Thompson said.

Knobbe and Thompson said they did not know whether the younger two children are registered home-schoolers.

State Department of Human Services spokesman Gene Evans said that while he could not speak specifically about the case, children taken into state protective custody are typically placed with a foster family on a short-term basis, until a juvenile court judge decides who should care for them.

Officials declined to say whether either of the younger children appeared to have been abused in the home.

Richard McAnulty’s mother, Lynn McAnulty, declined on Thursday to comment for this story — other than to say she believed that Maples was 15, not 16 as authorities said.

However, she told The Oregonian newspaper that she made repeated calls in recent months to a state child abuse hot line, trying to get someone to check on the teen. In hindsight, she said, she should have called police.

Dr. Bruce Goldberg, director of the state Department of Human Services, ordered an internal investigation Thursday into caseworkers’ contact with the family.

Lynn McAnulty, who lives in Walter­ville, east of Springfield, said she became concerned several months ago when she saw the girl with a split and swollen lip. She said she asked about it.

“ ‘Fallen down’ is what they told me,” she said.

She told the Portland newspaper that she didn’t leave her name when she called the hot line, “because I didn’t want to lose contact with my grandchildren.”

Richard and Angela McAnulty — neither of whom have criminal records in Oregon — moved to Lane County from Southern California several years ago, said Bobby Stolp, president of Raider Trucking, a Hesperia, Calif., company that employed Richard McAnulty as a driver for seven years.

While declining to disclose why the Eugene man stopped working for his company about a year ago, Stolp said he left “on extremely good terms.”

“Richard was an excellent employee,” Stolp said. “When I heard (the McAnultys) were booked on that charge for what happened to the daughter, I said, ‘Oh my gosh.’ We’re shocked. This was all very unexpected.”

by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this what you want.  I really don't know too much about homeschooling and how much it's regulated but I do think that a periodical check-in and evaluation is important.

by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Should all home schooling families be judged for the actions of a few?

by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM
That’s what they basically are saying They would have a shit fit, if this was done to any other group.

Quoting sandwitch:

Should all home schooling families be judged for the actions of a few?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)