Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Turpin Case has nothing to do with Homeschooling.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM
  • 157 Replies
1 mom liked this
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM
7 moms liked this

It should be obvious that this case has nothing to do with homeschooling, but that won't stop those who dislike homeschooling as an option for people from using it anyway.

Pema_Jampa
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Is this one of those sources you believe to be legit?
I.Am.Jester
by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Its crazy that anyone would think these two things are connected

Pema_Jampa
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
The Daily Wire - Right BiasRIGHT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: The Daily Wire is a politically conservative American news and opinion website founded in 2015 by conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro, who currently serves as Editor-in-Chief. The Daily Wire presents news with a right wing bias in reporting and wording. Virtually every story favors the right and denigrates the left. The Daily Wire has also published false information such as this and this from Ben Shapiro. The Daily Wire is a far right biased news source that is Mixed for factual reporting. (9/2/2016) Updated (8/16/2017)

Source: http://www.dailywire.com/
I.Am.Jester
by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:04 PM
5 moms liked this

Does it matter?  Saying this case has anything to do with homeschooling is like saying its related to eating mac and cheese because they found boxes of it in the house.  It would be crazy to link them.  These are nutballs.  Nutballs do things that are completely normal in other circumstances.

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Is this one of those sources you believe to be legit?

handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this

The Daily Wire isn't a great hard news source, but there is no question that the Turpin case is being used as an example of why homeschooling should be either outlawed or so heavily regulated that all the reasons for homeschooling in the first place kind of flies out the window. 

A simple google of Turpin homeschooling will show that to be the case.

Pema_Jampa
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes it matters.

While I don't blame homeschooling for what happened, I think it points out that some should not be allowed to do so.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

Does it matter?  Saying this case has anything to do with homeschooling is like saying its related to eating mac and cheese because they found boxes of it in the house.  It would be crazy to link them.  These are nutballs.  Nutballs do things that are completely normal in other circumstances.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:11 PM
13 moms liked this

I'll preface this by saying I am not against homeschooling.

I do find your argument weak.  The only connection this case has to homeschooling is that it enabled the parents to keep those kids tortured and under the radar, where no one could find them -- in fact, no one was looking for them.  What foods they may eat or clothing they may wear doesn't have that same effect.

Most homeschooling parents do a good job and aren't abusers.  However, abusers could decide to become homeschooling parents to avoid the scrutiny of teachers and other professionals.

On that basis, there should be at least a check of homeschooling children periodically, not necessarily a surprise check, but a meeting with a physician or someone at the local schools to ensure that they are in good condition.

If I were a homeschooling parent, I would be OK with those rules, because I care not only about my own children, but all children.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

handy0318
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Now this post, this has something to it. I'm not sure why you lead off in this thread with a snark about the source of the article, but you have a point here.

Now... here's another point though... thousands of kids in public and private schools are abused every day of their lives. Is that the fault of the schools?

As for "some should not be allowed to do so"... frankly, some simply should never be allowed to be parents. Period. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa: Yes it matters. While I don't blame homeschooling for what happened, I think it points out that some should not be allowed to do so.
Quoting I.Am.Jester:

sandwitch
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM
6 moms liked this

Should there be a periodic check of the children of anybody living beneath the poverty line to make sure they are being fed, clothed, and bathed properly? Or would that be assuming that poor people are incapable of finding ways to feed, clothe, and bathe their children?

Quoting romalove:

I'll preface this by saying I am not against homeschooling.

I do find your argument weak.  The only connection this case has to homeschooling is that it enabled the parents to keep those kids tortured and under the radar, where no one could find them -- in fact, no one was looking for them.  What foods they may eat or clothing they may wear doesn't have that same effect.

Most homeschooling parents do a good job and aren't abusers.  However, abusers could decide to become homeschooling parents to avoid the scrutiny of teachers and other professionals.

On that basis, there should be at least a check of homeschooling children periodically, not necessarily a surprise check, but a meeting with a physician or someone at the local schools to ensure that they are in good condition.

If I were a homeschooling parent, I would be OK with those rules, because I care not only about my own children, but all children.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)