Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biden confirms reports McConnell blocked Obama from warning Americans about Russian election interference

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

Biden confirms reports McConnell blocked Obama from warning Americans about Russian election interference

Elizabeth Preza

23 Jan 2018 at 16:42 ET                   

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell rejected the Obama administration’s efforts to warn the public about Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign, former vice president Joe Biden said Tuesday.

As Politico reports, the Senate leader refused to sign a bipartisan statement about Russia’s efforts. Former president Barack Obama felt the lack of bipartisanship would serve the Kremlin’s interests, Biden said.

The former vice president said Obama “would sit there literally after” each press briefing “and say, ‘What the hell are we going to do?’” Biden explained.

Biden was speaking to the Council on Foreign Relations about Russian efforts to sow discord in the United States’ electoral process. He told president Richard Haass that he regretted the administration’s failure to take more action before the election.

“Had we known what we knew three weeks later, we may have done something more,” Biden said, according to

“Can you imagine if the president called a press conference in October, with this fella, Bannon, and company, and said, ‘Tell you what: Russians are trying to interfere in our elections and we have to do something about it,’” Biden said. “What do you think would have happened? Would things have gotten better, or would it further look like we were trying to delegitimize the electoral process, because of our opponent?”

The Atlantic has previously reported on McConnell’s efforts to curb the Obama administration’s efforts during the election. “The effort was stymied by several Republicans who weren’t willing to cooperate, including, reportedly, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell,” the Atlantic’s Kaveh Waddell wrote in December 2016.

by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenMama7808
by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Mitch McConnell is a grimy, flabby necked, treasonous son of a bitch.

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM
I tend to agree

Quoting QueenMama7808:

KittyMom1026
by Scorpio on Jan. 23, 2018 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too.

Quoting GrayDuck41: I tend to agree
Quoting QueenMama7808:

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I generally argue against term limits, but for him I make an exception. It's way past time for him to go.
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

What evidence was known at the time for Obama to claim Russia was interfering in the elections any more then they had in the past, back when Obama reminded Mitt the cold war is over? Either way Obama was POTUS at the time...

imacarolinamom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this

President Obama needed Senator McConnel's support to speak up?  How does that make sense?

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Would you have listened to him? Or would you assume he's trying to defeat an enemy. A bipartisan statement would have carried more weight in the election environment that we had

Quoting imacarolinamom:

President Obama needed Senator McConnel's support to speak up?  How does that make sense?

imacarolinamom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have listened, but I also would have wanted proof. 

Now in hindsight, both Clinton and Trump worked Russians in some form.  Neither have clean hands.

It is more disappointing Obama knew it was happening but still allowed it happen without doing anything, I wonder if anything is being done to fix the issues in upcoming elections.

Quoting jessilin0113: Would you have listened to him? Or would you assume he's trying to defeat an enemy. A bipartisan statement would have carried more weight in the election environmentI  that we had
Quoting imacarolinamom:

PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:43 PM

Bannon would have supported the Russians interferring if it meant Trump got more votes. The ends justify the means. Bannon is just as slimy. 

SlightlyPerfect
by Babushka Blockparty on Jan. 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM
It's the same reason Clinton gave for not releasing the contents of the dossier before the election.

But I think they all thought she'd win. So there's that to consider.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)