Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turbo tax vs h & R Block

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2018 at 10:55 AM
  • 42 Replies

I have all my documents, but now the quandery of which company to go with. I was surprised that Walmart doesnt carry Turbo tax in the store this year. I always get crazy nervous before taxes. Last couple years I have been doing with H&R block. Last year I got drilled for $3000 for under paying my affordable Healthcare, even though I sent them my pay stubs to prove my income, and it doesnt change. I hate tax season, but don't want to pay almost $500 to have them done by pro. I've heard Turbo holds you hostage by extra charges down the line. Sounds like bait and switch. Anyone have advise? Who do you go to? I would be filing Deluxe either way

by on Feb. 3, 2018 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanasue31204
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
We do the $30 H&R Block online and never have a problem. They store the returns for 6 years with the paid ones and it’s easy going through the questions. Took me about 20-30 minutes total for fed and state. Our taxes are easy though, we got tired of paying $300-400 for a person to do them and not getting anymore than if we did them ourselves
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Turbo Tax is great. I always use it.
There are no unexpected costs. It’s very easy.
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I do turbo tax online. They offer additional services but they are easy to decline and I've never been charged anything beyond the product fee.
gsmom9
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM

Oh, I so hope it only takes less than an hour. I'm not sure if I should do it on a Saturday, but I have the day off and it would be nice to be done with it

MissAndree
by Ronita on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We use a CPA, and have never been charged $500.
gsmom9
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:57 AM

The local H&R block office 3 yrs ago said it would be just shy of $500. It's not a complicated return. It's not like I have a business or have multiple jobs in different states and countries. No huge list of deductions except for child and mortgage stuff

gsmom9
by Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM

I don't remember being asked last year for what I payed for my vehicle registration. They listed it on the prep items needed

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do Turbo Tax, it walks you through all of that and recommends the correct deduction, you should only be charged the product fee, usually between $40 and like $80, depending on how complex your taxes are. You'll probably have the smaller one. Plus it does your state taxes, for another small fee. There might be one for direct deposit, I can't remember...I doubt you'd pay over $100 for everything. 

Quoting gsmom9:

The local H&R block office 3 yrs ago said it would be just shy of $500. It's not a complicated return. It's not like I have a business or have multiple jobs in different states and countries. No huge list of deductions except for child and mortgage stuff

MissAndree
by Ronita on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
We have used the same CPA for the last 20 years, and he is not affiliated with H&R Block, he runs his own small business.

Quoting gsmom9:

Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2018 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I own a business, so our taxes are quite complex, with a ton of write offs. My CPA charges 350.00. That includes doing my personal taxes, too.

Quoting MissAndree: We use a CPA, and have never been charged $500.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)