Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California judge rules Christian bakery

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:45 AM
  • 414 Replies
5 moms liked this

California judge rules Christian bakery shouldn’t be forced to make gay wedding cake

by on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BmoreRavens
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:50 AM
2 moms liked this

BmoreRavens
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:59 AM
16 moms liked this

“The difference here is that the cake in question is not yet baked. The State is not petitioning the court to order defendants to sell cake. The State asks this court to compel Miller to use her talents to design and create cake she has not yet conceived with the knowledge that her work will be displayed in celebration of marital union her religion forbids. For this court to force such compliance would do violence to the essentials of Free Speech guaranteed under the First Amendment.” -end quote

Yes!! 

Sister_Someone
by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 6:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I think both sides in this sort of situations are ridiculous. You'd think it would be common sense for business owners to treat every customer the same if they would like to stay in business. On the other hand, if the business owners aren't that bright, why would any customer want to spend their money at a place where they were mistreated?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:20 AM
6 moms liked this
I wonder if the design requested is a standard design of the bakery, or a custom design the couple wanted? If it is a standard design I don’t see that it would be different than a tire. It is only unmade because it’s a perishable good. If it is a custom design I can kind of see where he’s coming from and I disagree. I expect this to be over-ruled.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:27 AM
4 moms liked this

I would say that this nonsense is ridiculous  - but that's what I would expect from someone not too bright.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

I think both sides in this sort of situations are ridiculous. You'd think it would be common sense for business owners to treat every customer the same if they would like to stay in business. On the other hand, if the business owners aren't that bright, why would any customer want to spend their money at a place where they were mistreated?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Sparkles4Lui
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:15 AM
But his ruling, on a motion for preliminary injunction, only leaves Miller alone until the full case comes to trial. The next hearing on the case is set for June. But Miller's attorney said he will move for dismissal of the case immediately because of the strength of Lampe's ruling."

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/judge-david-lampe-rules-for-tastries-bakery-owner-cathy-miller/article_9116d628-0b55-11e8-9eb5-1fe904759af0.html
fallenangel_353
by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I’m always so torn on this issue. It makes me think of preachers and how they shouldn’t be FORCED to marry homosexual couples since it goes against everything they believe in. That said, this is a cake, it’s not quite the same thing. I can follow what the judge is saying though, this is her talent, her artistic ability, and with that the right to not be forced to express herself just because she is getting paid to do it. But where do you draw the line? At this point she may as well put a sign outside of her bakery that says no homosexuals allowed. That’s discrimination, ugly, bigotry, hate and it’s not ok. I do know that I for one am NOT having anyone make an edible good for me that does not want too though. I am not going to eat someone else’s spit, shit, or god knows what else they might put in there. Maybe poison for committing a “sin”? No thanks!
SommelierMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 8:43 AM
4 moms liked this
It's only preliminary injunction. That bigot hasn't won yet.
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM
11 moms liked this

The ruling would allow bakers to discriminate against other couples they deemed 'against their religion' like interracial couples, minority couples, jewish couples, muslim couples, atheist couples, the list goes on and on.  Very bad ruling and the judge should be kicked off the bench.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)