Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ryan calls Pelosi's eight-hour speech 'impressive'

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM
  • 70 Replies

Ryan calls Pelosi's eight-hour speech 'impressive'

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) complimented House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) stamina on Thursday, one day after she spoke for more than eight hours on the floor, setting a House record.

"My hat's off to her. I don't know that I could have hacked that for eight hours, so it was pretty darn impressive," Ryan told reporters at a press briefing.

"I would have gone to the bathroom well before then, I gotta tell you," he joked.

The Speaker's comments came after Pelosi delivered a marathon speech on Wednesday calling on the chamber to take up legislation extending legal protections for young immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children, known as "Dreamers."

The record-setting speech clocked in at eight hours and seven minutes, and hinged on a plea to Ryan to consider legislation enshrining the protections of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program into law.

Pelosi also pledged to oppose a two-year spending deal announced by Senate leaders on Wednesday because it does not address protections for dreamers. 

"This is not an issue that’s going to go away," Pelosi said in her speech. "This is an American value that is deeply felt across the board."

The fight over DACA protections was at the center of a three-day government shutdown last month spurred by Senate Democrats, who declined to back a short-term spending bill if it did not include an immigration fix.

After that shutdown ended, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that he would allow a vote on DACA legislation if the issue was not addressed in another spending bill. Lawmakers face a midnight Thursday deadline for passing such a measure.

Ryan said Thursday that he was willing to address DACA's protections, but that Congress first had to address the issue of government funding in order to move on to immigration.

"We want a DACA solution," he said. "Guess what? in order to shift our focus and get on to the next big priority, which is a DACA solution, we gotta get this budget agreement done, so we can go and focus on this."

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this
He's right, for once. Say what you will about Pelosi, but that was badass.
ILovemyPaulie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM
8 moms liked this

During her speech, Republican fundraising went through the roof! Yay! LOL!

Hope she makes another speech so the Republicans can make even more money!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM
5 moms liked this

It was impressive for someone of her advanced age and limited mental faculties to stand and read for 8 hours.

No doubt.

cookiemonster77
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Maybe she wore a diaper and had a long acting Ritalin...I think those work around 8 hours. I’m less impressed than I am annoyed at all of the hours she squandered. 

SuG4
by Firestarter on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
It’s quite possible that you’ll have to wear a diaper one day yourself!!

And you’re annoyed about 8hrs. being squandered!!! LOL!

I hope you’re just as annoyed when Congress squandered SIX years during the last presidency!

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Maybe she wore a diaper and had a long acting Ritalin...I think those work around 8 hours. Iâ��m less impressed than I am annoyed at all of the hours she squandered. 

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

tell me are you going to be annoyed with that piece of shit in office spends millions for a military parade, or when he plays golf, or watches 8 hours of tv a day rather than dealing with the issues?  

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Maybe she wore a diaper and had a long acting Ritalin...I think those work around 8 hours. I’m less impressed than I am annoyed at all of the hours she squandered. 

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM

the thugs make it for themselves, certainly not for you or anyone else so you go ahead a love the traitors.

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

During her speech, Republican fundraising went through the roof! Yay! LOL!

Hope she makes another speech so the Republicans can make even more money!

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

are you impressed about the piece of shit in office and his limited mental faculties?  There is no proof what-so-ever that she has anything wrong with her intellectual capabilities.

Quoting Billiejeens:

It was impressive for someone of her advanced age and limited mental faculties to stand and read for 8 hours.

No doubt.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I laugh

Quoting bluefirewolf:

are you impressed about the piece of shit in office and his limited mental faculties?  There is no proof what-so-ever that she has anything wrong with her intellectual capabilities.

Quoting Billiejeens:

No doubt.

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

of course you do

Quoting Billiejeens: I laugh
Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting Billiejeens:

No doubt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)