Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ryan calls Pelosi's eight-hour speech 'impressive'

Posted by   + Show Post

Ryan calls Pelosi's eight-hour speech 'impressive'

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) complimented House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) stamina on Thursday, one day after she spoke for more than eight hours on the floor, setting a House record.

"My hat's off to her. I don't know that I could have hacked that for eight hours, so it was pretty darn impressive," Ryan told reporters at a press briefing.

"I would have gone to the bathroom well before then, I gotta tell you," he joked.

The Speaker's comments came after Pelosi delivered a marathon speech on Wednesday calling on the chamber to take up legislation extending legal protections for young immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children, known as "Dreamers."

The record-setting speech clocked in at eight hours and seven minutes, and hinged on a plea to Ryan to consider legislation enshrining the protections of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program into law.

Pelosi also pledged to oppose a two-year spending deal announced by Senate leaders on Wednesday because it does not address protections for dreamers. 

"This is not an issue that’s going to go away," Pelosi said in her speech. "This is an American value that is deeply felt across the board."

The fight over DACA protections was at the center of a three-day government shutdown last month spurred by Senate Democrats, who declined to back a short-term spending bill if it did not include an immigration fix.

After that shutdown ended, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that he would allow a vote on DACA legislation if the issue was not addressed in another spending bill. Lawmakers face a midnight Thursday deadline for passing such a measure.

Ryan said Thursday that he was willing to address DACA's protections, but that Congress first had to address the issue of government funding in order to move on to immigration.

"We want a DACA solution," he said. "Guess what? in order to shift our focus and get on to the next big priority, which is a DACA solution, we gotta get this budget agreement done, so we can go and focus on this."

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM
Replies (61-70):
Jambo4
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, he basically said she had an impressive bladder, but whatever

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Well, I suppose it's nice to know that it's possible for Republican leaders to be more gracious than their followers.

fiddlerbird555
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM

And someone was trying to characterize Democrats as hate filled? Maybe, just maybe, Ryan might actually respect someone who works on the other side.

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Well, I suppose it's nice to know that it's possible for Republican leaders to be more gracious than their followers.

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:10 PM
Ageism and irrational bias from you.
She’s so superior to you and the other mean girl-like , bigoted conservatives here who constantly badmouth her.

Quoting Billiejeens:

It was impressive for someone of her advanced age and limited mental faculties to stand and read for 8 hours.

No doubt.

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM
That’s what YOU say— typical of biased mean girls on the far right.

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this
You know what else would be impressive? If she did hoola hoop for 8 hours. And the both would have the same results. Didn't. Change. Anything.

Quoting Billiejeens:

It was impressive for someone of her advanced age and limited mental faculties to stand and read for 8 hours.

No doubt.

Jambo4
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM

I'm just going off what the article says and not reading between the lines.  In case you missed reading the article and just went with the headline, here it is:

"My hat's off to her. I don't know that I could have hacked that for eight hours, so it was pretty darn impressive," Ryan told reporters at a press briefing.

"I would have gone to the bathroom well before then, I gotta tell you," he joked.

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

And someone was trying to characterize Democrats as hate filled? Maybe, just maybe, Ryan might actually respect someone who works on the other side.

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

fiddlerbird555
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Neither am I reading between the lines.  He called her impressive.  The rest is interpretation, and I'm trying to be kind; there is so little of that around here.

Quoting Jambo4:

I'm just going off what the article says and not reading between the lines.  In case you missed reading the article and just went with the headline, here it is:

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Jambo4
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Kindness is always welcome. :)

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Neither am I reading between the lines.  He called her impressive.  The rest is interpretation, and I'm trying to be kind; there is so little of that around here.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks for playing!

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this
So she can stand for eights hours and give a speech where she says her grandson is embarrassed to be white and wants to be brown-skinned and then cannot even stand for 30 seconds for the parents of the slain children.
She is gross
numbr1wmn
by Lina on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It was impressive. She put people to sleep and made our donations go up in the GOP. WTG

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)