Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This cartoon depicting DREAMers as gang members was so ‘insanely racist’ the newspaper had to apologize

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

This cartoon depicting DREAMers as gang members was so ‘insanely racist’ the newspaper had to apologize

The Albuquerque Journal on Thursday apologized for an “insanely racist” editorial cartoon that ran in the conservative newspaper’s opinion section.

The cartoon shows a man and woman held up at gun point by MS-13 gang members. “Now, honey, I believe they prefer to be called ‘Dreamers’… or future Democrats…” the man says.

Wow. This insanely racist cartoon ran today in the @ABQJournal, my hometown newspaper and the first place I ever worked. The paper has always had a conservative editorial board, but this is next-level.

The Journal weathered intense backlash after publishing the graphic, including from Sen. Tom Udall, who demanded the paper apologize. State Sen. Linda Lopez (D) called the cartoon “another glaring example of the ignorance, racism and hatred openly permeating throughout our country.”

Words and images are still hateful and offensive, even when they appear in a cartoon. The @ABQJournal should apologize.

In an editorial addressing the outrage, staff writers argued the Journal “has supported a path to citizenship for the country’s estimated 1.8 million Dreamers,” who are the subject of a fierce, ongoing debate in Congress.

Editor Karen Moss issued a statement arguing the paper “[offers] views from all sides of the spectrum, and we realize some of the content will offend readers.”

“We do not agree with many of those views, but their purpose is to spark discussion and debate. In hindsight, instead of generating debate, this cartoon only inflamed emotions,” Moss added. “This was not the intent, nor does the Journal condone racism or bigotry in any form.”

Editorial Page Editor D’Val Westphal said she chose the cartoon because, from her perspective, the “conservative Anglo couple” were “ reacting out of fear and labeling their attackers as ‘Dreamers’ and even Democrats” despite the MS-13 gang members being “clearly labeled” as such.

“We live in a very politicized and reactionary time,” Westphal added. “But the mission of an editorial page is to explore all sides of an issue, to make people think and debate and examine closely the opposing view of an argument.

“Unfortunately, this cartoon did not inspire that kind of discussion,” Westphal acknowledged.

by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Deplorable! Stupid!
I’m glad they had to pull it.
LittleLizette
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:10 PM
7 moms liked this

As if conservatives aren’t ignorant enough about the DACA program they really don’t need these type of cartoons to get themselves going.  

Matboxcards
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM
Isn't Albuquerque a sanctuary city? I'm suprised they ran this there.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
The complete ignorance doesn't surprise me any more.
bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM

they condoned it enough to print it - 

lukesmom2002
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM
4 moms liked this
That cartoon speaks volumes about it's creator and those who will like it.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

But the whole immigration thing is not about racism y'all. 

Oy.

AnotherKim
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:32 AM

SMH

KitschyMeow
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM
Nope. Santa fe is, though.

Quoting Matboxcards: Isn't Albuquerque a sanctuary city? I'm suprised they ran this there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)