Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex Ed in the Schools....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:23 AM
  • 106 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a question, and I'm asking it here because I want a variety of opinions from all over the state and even other countries. 

I got a notice this morning from the school, indicating all 8th graders would start the "human growth and development" class next week. My son isn't in 8th grade, so the email doesn't apply to me. However, I read the description of the class, and it sounds like the puberty talk. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most kids hitting puberty long before 8th grade now? I know my son started the process when he turned 11, and now at 12, is doing the whole voice change thing. He's nearly finished with the process. He and I have talked about puberty, so he's not entirely in the dark about it, but I know not all parents have those talks with their kids and just kind of leave them to figure it out on their own.

It's my opinion the school is doing the basic puberty education class waaaay too late to actually be helpful. Many moons ago, when I was in school, we had the puberty talk as 5th graders in gym classes. Then once we got to 7th grade, we had the reproductive system/sex class (boys went to one, girls to another) that was a little more advanced as part of our health class. What is everyone else's schools doing? Are they as late as my son's with the basic puberty talk? When do you think that issue should be addressed from a public education standpoint? 

**UPDATE**

So I don't have to keep replying to answer this question in the responses, I did call the school. This is the first "sex ed" class the kids are having at all, and it is only about the basics of the biological changes associated with puberty. There is no discussion about sexual relations or safe sex. It's just a discussion of bodily changes for puberty, so my opinion that this is too late to address this issue was confirmed. 

by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
niceandhappy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:30 AM

My kids had the "movie" in 5th grade. I'm thinking this has to be more than that?

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM

Both my daughters had a basic health class in sixth grade (if my memory serves me correctly).  It included the puberty "talk".  Their Sophomore year included a semester of a required Health class in which a more in depth time frame and discussion was spent on sexual education including sexual orientation, birth control, STDs, etc.  

MissAndree
by Ronita on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:38 AM
I live in a very backward state. My daughter didn't take any kind of sexual education class until this year, her senior year. It was a mix of inaccurate information and abstinence bullshit. Thank the goddess I had been educating her myself her entire life on this subject.
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
We have comprehensive sex education that runs kindergarten to senior year. 8th grade is crazy late for puberty talk.
Btamilee2753
by Lee on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe it is SO important for parents to be able to have an open discussion with their kids about sex.  From my own personal experience working with teens while helping to prepare for a sexual education short film, I found many teens truly wanted to discuss their concerns and ask questions, but were afraid to approach their parents.  Your daughter is blessed to have a Mom who understands the importance of being open and willing to be engaged in a very important discussion.

Quoting MissAndree: I live in a very backward state. My daughter didn't take any kind of sexual education class until this year, her senior year. It was a mix of inaccurate information and abstinence bullshit. Thank the goddess I had been educating her myself her entire life on this subject.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:48 AM

Our sex Ed is also K-12.  The puberty unit you described was done in 6th grade.  

MissAndree
by Ronita on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:52 AM
Thank you, and I agree on the importance of it. I see the devastating effects of misinformation and under education every day in this state. One of my daughter's child hood friends just had her second baby. I can't imagine not wanting to give my child the best chance of success in her life, it truly boggles my mind.

Quoting Btamilee2753:

I believe it is SO important for parents to be able to have an open discussion with their kids about sex.  From my own personal experience working with teens while helping to prepare for a sexual education short film, I found many teens truly wanted to discuss their concerns and ask questions, but were afraid to approach their parents.  Your daughter is blessed to have a Mom who understands the importance of being open and willing to be engaged in a very important discussion.

Quoting MissAndree: I live in a very backward state. My daughter didn't take any kind of sexual education class until this year, her senior year. It was a mix of inaccurate information and abstinence bullshit. Thank the goddess I had been educating her myself her entire life on this subject.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM
In 1976 when I was in 6th grade all the girls went to the art room for a talk about getting our periods. I don't remember if the boys had to go for a talk. I'll ask my nephew. We were in the same class. Other than that, no sex education until 9th grade health class.
EarlGrayHot
by Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM

Both I and our daughter hit puberty at age 10.  And we always answered any questions she had at an age appropriate level from the time she was only a few years old.  There shouldn't be a one time only education in school or at home.  I agree with you that this is way too late to begin it in school.

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Feb. 9, 2018 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Its so important that our children get correct information because inaccurate information can be very dangerous and lead to issues that could impact their lives in many ways.  I worked at the HIgh School that both my daughters attended and even subbed for their Health teacher.  She was absolutely wonderful.  She had a way of getting the kids to open up and discuss issues, without making it a big deal.  Her classes were very fluid and comfortable for her students.  She also taught a Conflict Resolution class in which she did an amazing job.  I know since my move five years ago she retired.  It was a huge loss for the school.  

Quoting MissAndree: Thank you, and I agree on the importance of it. I see the devastating effects of misinformation and under education every day in this state. One of my daughter's child hood friends just had her second baby. I can't imagine not wanting to give my child the best chance of success in her life, it truly boggles my mind.
Quoting Btamilee2753:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)