Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question, and I'm asking it here because I want a variety of opinions from all over the state and even other countries. 

I got a notice this morning from the school, indicating all 8th graders would start the "human growth and development" class next week. My son isn't in 8th grade, so the email doesn't apply to me. However, I read the description of the class, and it sounds like the puberty talk. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most kids hitting puberty long before 8th grade now? I know my son started the process when he turned 11, and now at 12, is doing the whole voice change thing. He's nearly finished with the process. He and I have talked about puberty, so he's not entirely in the dark about it, but I know not all parents have those talks with their kids and just kind of leave them to figure it out on their own.

It's my opinion the school is doing the basic puberty education class waaaay too late to actually be helpful. Many moons ago, when I was in school, we had the puberty talk as 5th graders in gym classes. Then once we got to 7th grade, we had the reproductive system/sex class (boys went to one, girls to another) that was a little more advanced as part of our health class. What is everyone else's schools doing? Are they as late as my son's with the basic puberty talk? When do you think that issue should be addressed from a public education standpoint? 

**UPDATE**

So I don't have to keep replying to answer this question in the responses, I did call the school. This is the first "sex ed" class the kids are having at all, and it is only about the basics of the biological changes associated with puberty. There is no discussion about sexual relations or safe sex. It's just a discussion of bodily changes for puberty, so my opinion that this is too late to address this issue was confirmed. 

by on Feb. 9, 2018 at 7:23 AM
Replies (101-106):
tish_hughes82
by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 12:43 AM
Mine is 8 and will be 9 soon and I've already had the talk. Some bad ass little. boy basically started it so I had to finish it. I've already started to her about the way her body will start to change since she's already gotnhair under her pits. I've done a little research and from what I understand, she's statiscallu likely to start her period before other little girls so I want to make sure she's prepared when the time comes. And I don't want her misinformed. I'll set myself on fire if she is one of the ones who believe sex with multiple men will make her loose or her period is her body cleaning itself out.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:23 AM

I'm not talking about the sex talk. I'm talking about body changes associated with puberty. Puberty starts for kids a lot sooner than 8th grade, so waiting until then to have that discussion in the schools is a day late and a dollar short, IMO. 

Quoting Marie207:

I think the school would get in trouble if they started that class any earlier than the 8th grade.  It's like a more mature subject and they were probably told that 8th grade was more appropiate, and it is.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

This is very well done, IMO. 

Quoting Clairwil:

Here's how they do it in the UK:

https://www.pshe-association.org.uk/system/files/SRE%20for%20the%2021st%20Century%20-%20FINAL.pdf.pdf

Marie207
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:28 AM

The puberty talk in school goes into ssex education too, so they hae to wait or some mothers would be screaming about they are teaching too early.  They know how some parents are.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I'm not talking about the sex talk. I'm talking about body changes associated with puberty. Puberty starts for kids a lot sooner than 8th grade, so waiting until then to have that discussion in the schools is a day late and a dollar short, IMO. 

Quoting Marie207:

I think the school would get in trouble if they started that class any earlier than the 8th grade.  It's like a more mature subject and they were probably told that 8th grade was more appropiate, and it is.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM

Our school doesn't address the sex part of sex ed. I asked. They said they won't even go there. It's biological changes-based only. 

Quoting Marie207:

The puberty talk in school goes into ssex education too, so they hae to wait or some mothers would be screaming about they are teaching too early.  They know how some parents are.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Marie207:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)