Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Sony Pictures Apologizes for Making Light of Food Allergies in ‘Peter Rabbit’ Scene

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:01 PM
  • 95 Replies
Sony Pictures Apologizes for Making Light of Food Allergies in ‘Peter Rabbit’ Scene

By Nicholas Hautman

5 hours ago

Sony Pictures is facing criticism for making light of food allergies in Peter Rabbit.

In the new children’s movie, a human character named Mr. McGregor (Sam Neill) is allergic to blackberries. In an attempt to enter McGregor’s garden, Peter Rabbit (James Corden) and his furry friends pelt McGregor with various fruits and vegetables before using a slingshot to shoot a blackberry into his mouth. McGregor struggles to inject himself with an EpiPen and eventually collapses from anaphylaxis.

Parents who saw the PG-rated film with their children took to social media to express their distaste for the scene, with some claiming it trivializes food allergies and endorses bullying. Others called for a boycott of the flick.

Sony Pictures and the filmmakers behind Peter Rabbit have apologized in response to the backlash. “Food allergies are a serious issue. Our film should not have made light of Peter Rabbit’s archnemesis, Mr. McGregor, being allergic to blackberries, even in a cartoonish, slapstick way,” the studio said in a statement to Us Weekly on Monday, February 12. “We sincerely regret not being more aware and sensitive to this issue, and we truly apologize.”

The Kids With Food Allergies Foundation warned parents about the scene in a message posted on its website, which said in part that “making light of this condition hurts our members because it encourages the public not to take the rest of allergic reactions seriously.”

Peter Rabbit is now in theaters.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/sony-pictures-apologizes-for-peter-rabbit-food-allergy-scene/
by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad that they apologized. It does nothing to alleviate the movie itself when it, "trivializes food allergies and endorses bullying." It would be better if they could somehow have a PSA & their apology added right before the viewing of the movie. That would be most productive.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I'll add that this bullying isn't simply hurt feelings. Youth have died and definitely have suffered medical emergencies due to this type of bullying. Add this to the actual emotional trauma of anaphylaxis and the trauma of attempted murder.
AliasKat
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I really wanted to see this movie, too. I always loved Peter Rabbit as being a cheeky little fellow; never imagined him to be a murderer. I am disappointed in Sony pictures. If only they could do the right thing, pull the movie, make the proper edits and discount  the dvds.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:52 PM
4 moms liked this
All aboard

Normal folk

Get on the train

We have got to put snowflake land behind us.
GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Anaphylaxis is NOT funny.
It’s deadly.
You just don’t make it into “ a funny scene” from a childrens’ movie!’.
Are you crazy?.

Quoting Billiejeens: All aboard

Normal folk

Get on the train

We have got to put snowflake land behind us.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens: All aboard Normal folk Get on the train We have got to put snowflake land behind us.

Why is modeling bullying to young children a good thing?  Kids with food allergies can literally die if they eat something they are allergic to.  Why make fun of that in a movie aimed at children?

GrayDuck41
by Linda on Feb. 12, 2018 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
That would be a good idea.

Quoting AliasKat:

I really wanted to see this movie, too. I always loved Peter Rabbit as being a cheeky little fellow; never imagined him to be a murderer. I am disappointed in Sony pictures. If only they could do the right thing, pull the movie, make the proper edits and discount  the dvds.

SommelierMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm an anaphylactic allergy sufferer and even I feel this is being blown WAY the fuck out of proportion. I hate to use the word snowflake, but this is a perfect example.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM
In 3rd grade my DD had someone decide to see if her food allergen would really kill her or not.

Children's comedies should in no way promote anaphylactic food allergy bullying. When you were a child you were not a snowflake. Nope. Neither are parents who are responsible for parenting our children and think that children's media should not influence children to be murderous bullying shits. Nope.

Quoting SommelierMom: I'm an anaphylactic allergy sufferer and even I feel this is being blown WAY the fuck out of proportion. I hate to use the word snowflake, but this is a perfect example.
NovemberMom15
by Member on Feb. 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM
This is way overreacting IMO..the boycotting of the film. I do think they should think things a little more through though, and be more sensitive tp topics like this. In my city a few years ago a boy died at a football game after getting bit by ants that he had no idea he was allergic to. His parents were there when he collapsed at the game. I can't picture them reacting well to this scene.

I can see both sides, but boycotting the film is a bit too much for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)