Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients

Posted by   + Show Post
President Trump's new budget would severely restrict the kinds of foods that food stamp recipients could buy with the government assistance.

Recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — SNAP — receive a monthly supplement that offers help purchasing food.

But Trump's proposal would require people who receive at least $90 a month from the program to get about half of their benefits in the form of a “USDA food package,” rather than by purchasing the food themselves, NPR reported.

The proposed change would affect more than 80 percent of people enrolled in SNAP.

The packages recipients would be given would not include fresh fruits or vegetables. Instead, according to NPR, the packages would consist of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

The White House’s proposal would reduce government spending on SNAP by $129 billion over the next 10 years. Combined with other proposed changes to the program, the changes would shrink SNAP’s budget by $213 billion over the same amount of time, a 30 percent reduction.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373507-trump-proposes-restricting-choices-for-food-stamp-recipients
by on Feb. 12, 2018 at 10:29 PM
Replies (481-488):
SommelierMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM
I received zero grants. I took out loans that I paid back, paid some cash and had some GI Bill.

Quoting Lorriane:

You are well educated so how did you pay for that education? If you went college/university. If you got financial aid you most likely got money from taxpayers via a grant. 

Quoting SommelierMom: Yes, being well educated, never having used a smidge of welfare, and paying for programs like the one in question must make me trash. I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Nice job being unable to debate your point, though.

Quoting Democratmom18:

Again you are heartless. Not a shocker online most are trash.

Quoting SommelierMom: If poverty is truly uncomfortable, those living in it would be grateful for whatever food they're given (aside from spoiled, etc., obviously).

Quoting Democratmom18:

I assure you poverty isn't comfortable.  Wow some of you are really heartless. 

Quoting SommelierMom: I'm okay with this. Poverty shouldn't be comfortable.

I do wish there was some sort of option for fresh food, at least for those who are unable to earn other income and don't use SNAP as a supplement, like the truly disabled.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

That's just plain stupid. 

I used my GI bill when I got out. But I also used the military's tuition assistance program while I was in. When I got out, is when I started the GI Bill and applied for every grant and scholarship that I even remotely qualified for. Not all grants are taxpayer funded. Only a small handful are. Most are privately funded. I got government grants for participating in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Desert Eagle. My son also gets a grant for my participation in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Desert Eagle. I also got one for earning the NATO Kosovo medal. My kid gets a grant for that too. 

Call me a mooch if you want but I earned those medals and was paid well below poverty while I earned them. I do not feel the least bit sorry that I used those government grants nor do I feel the least bit sorry that my kids are eligible to use them too. It is financially fucking stupid to spend more than you need to just so you can claim superiority. 

Quoting SommelierMom: I received zero grants. I took out loans that I paid back, paid some cash and had some GI Bill.
Quoting Lorriane:

You are well educated so how did you pay for that education? If you went college/university. If you got financial aid you most likely got money from taxpayers via a grant. 

Quoting SommelierMom: Yes, being well educated, never having used a smidge of welfare, and paying for programs like the one in question must make me trash. I can't roll my eyes hard enough. Nice job being unable to debate your point, though.
Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting SommelierMom: If poverty is truly uncomfortable, those living in it would be grateful for whatever food they're given (aside from spoiled, etc., obviously).
Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting SommelierMom: I'm okay with this. Poverty shouldn't be comfortable. I do wish there was some sort of option for fresh food, at least for those who are unable to earn other income and don't use SNAP as a supplement, like the truly disabled.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

- P. J. O'Rourke
SommelierMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM
What's stupid? That I didn't qualify for any grants?

Quoting D-Town:

I used my GI bill when I got out. But I also used the military's tuition assistance program while I was in. When I got out, is when I started the GI Bill and applied for every grant and scholarship that I even remotely qualified for. Not all grants are taxpayer funded. Only a small handful are. Most are privately funded. I got government grants for participating in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Desert Eagle. My son also gets a grant for my participation in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Desert Eagle. I also got one for earning the NATO Kosovo medal. My kid gets a grant for that too. 

Call me a mooch if you want but I earned those medals and was paid well below poverty while I earned them. I do not feel the least bit sorry that I used those government grants nor do I feel the least bit sorry that my kids are eligible to use them too. It is financially fucking stupid to spend more than you need to just so you can claim superiority. 

Quoting SommelierMom: I received zero grants. I took out loans that I paid back, paid some cash and had some GI Bill.

Quoting Lorriane:

Quoting SommelierMom: Yes, being well educated, never having used a smidge of welfare, and paying for programs like the one in question must make me trash. I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Nice job being unable to debate your point, though.

Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting SommelierMom: I'm okay with this. Poverty shouldn't be comfortable.

I do wish there was some sort of option for fresh food, at least for those who are unable to earn other income and don't use SNAP as a supplement, like the truly disabled.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2018 at 6:04 AM

If you had the GI Bill there were several grants you qualified for. Not all of them war related. There are several Pell Grants you automatically qualified for just for joining the military. 

Quoting SommelierMom: What's stupid? That I didn't qualify for any grants?
Quoting D-Town:

Quoting Lorriane:

Quoting SommelierMom: Yes, being well educated, never having used a smidge of welfare, and paying for programs like the one in question must make me trash. I can't roll my eyes hard enough. Nice job being unable to debate your point, though.
Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting Democratmom18:

Quoting SommelierMom: I'm okay with this. Poverty shouldn't be comfortable. I do wish there was some sort of option for fresh food, at least for those who are unable to earn other income and don't use SNAP as a supplement, like the truly disabled.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

- P. J. O'Rourke
SweetPea2004
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM
Canned food doesn’t actually expire by the date it is good for three years.

Quoting jpickens: That�s what it sounds like. We had similar programs back home and I�ve seen one of the distro centers. It is like a food bank, with similar quality food (expired/out of date,etc).
Quoting turtle68:

so like food bank packages?  That food that is either nearly or always out of date, given by companies and made into packages by volunteers..that sort of food package?

It should be given ON top of the benefit ...JMO

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Feb. 18, 2018 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked and went to college and grad school as a single mom all the way through.  You don't have to preach to me about work ethic.  LMFAO  

However, the system is NOT DESIGNED to truly HELP those who have the will and desire to pull themselves out of poverty.  The system keeps people forever stuck in the negative feedback loop of poverty because every single time anything good happens, the system ensures something equal gets taken away.

Unlike you, I actually have compassion for people who are struggling to make ends meet.  I know all too well what that feels like.

I lost my father when I was 18.  My mother and I had a shit relationship ands she chucked me out of her house the day he died.  You know nothing about me. 

Quoting codfish: If you don't move from food stamps and welfare after a year or so, that is on you. I grew up poor. I had a mom who worked her butt off and refused to ask for welfare. I don't remember her not working 2 jobs except when she was back in school. A work ethic is a beautiful thing. Sadly for whatever reason libs like to act as if working is somehow shameful. Get off your ass and better yourself. Stop expecting everyone to pamper you. Oh, and before someone ask, my father didn't walk out nor was he a deadbeat. He died unexpectedly very young.
Quoting fnpdocgrrl:

Right because the fucking GOP assbags can NEVER get enough of finding new and unusual ways to shame poor families.There are so many other better ways we could save money that don't involve hurting the poor.SMFH 

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Feb. 18, 2018 at 5:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Has it possibly occured to you that some of these students may have children, also?  Perhaps the fact they have children is motivating them to do their damndest to change their life's trajectory???

Good god you people are gross.  Do you have any idea of what her students are even majoring in?  Perhaps some of them are pre-med or pre-dent.  I bet some are hoping to get into a STEM field.  Do you have a clue how intense the competition is to get into some of these majors/grad schools?  Grades are EVERYthing.

These are students who are FOLLOWING THE BOOTSTRAP PROTOCOL you people carry on about and yet the fact some of them may get foodstamps for a year or so in the process is unacceptable?

Sounds to me like you're angry and resentful life was so hard for you as a student so you'll be damned if anything ever changes for the better for anyone else.

Signed: A former single mom who went through both undergrad and grad school.  

I want nothing more than to see people pull themselves out of the cycle of poverty if they have the desire and wherewithal to do it.  I have no shame in voting for programs that may enhance their lives while in the process because unlike you, I don't see these people as a burden at all.  I see it as an investment in our damn future.  

I was once one of those people.  Life is pretty damn good now.   

Quoting SommelierMom: They're not youths, they're adults. "You think that student debt is better than food stamps." Sure do, in the same way I dislike people who declare bankruptcy (for example). Pay for your own shit. They're able bodied. You can keep name calling. It's indicative of the strength of your argument.
Quoting M4LG5:

A foster youth is a burden, huh?  A child whose parents did not have the opportunity to get an education are a burden, huh?  I am emotional about it because I care about their success and future.  I'm not reacting BECAUSE I am emotional.  You, on the other hand, are pathetic.

Your situation is not everyone's situation and that is wrong with people like you.  You think that student debt is better than food stamps.  You think financial aid and loans are not burdens (yet...it comes from federal and state money) but a little bit assistance a month to make sure they get fed and not have to stress is a burden.

Again, you are pathetic. 

Quoting SommelierMom: If they're relying on society to feed them, they're the definition of a burden. You're reacting emotionally.
Quoting M4LG5:

They ARE NOT BURDENS!! And FUCK you for saying that!

Quoting SommelierMom: I didn't say at cheaper food meant healthier food. But, just as I did in college, you make do with what you have and if you want more/better, you work more. I DID live like them. I was also a broke college student. The difference is that I wasn't society's burden and they shouldn't be, either.
Quoting M4LG5:

Your or my situation is not the same.  They are already making cuts to their budgets where they can.  Cheaper foods does not always mean healthier foods.

Again....your lack of understanding or empathy or putting yourself in someone's shoes that are NOT like your own is pathetic.  If you lived like them, you would want just a small accommodation so you don't have to worry about food.

Quoting SommelierMom: Or they could do both. They're able-bodied. You get 6 roommates and share cars, live on cheaper foods, skip cable, etc. You know, like we used to.
Quoting M4LG5:

Well, then you will never ever understand my students or what they go through.  That is a big problem with elitism.....you just don't have enough understanding or emapthy. 

Any financial assistance in a population that are foster youth, low-income, and 1st generation is appreciated. This allows them to thrive and succed so they don't have to rely on assistance later AND, more importantly, break the cycle of which they have lived. 

Quoting SommelierMom: Perhaps you misinterpreted my comment. Welfare should never be a casual option. "Oh, hey, I don't want to get a job/work more so I'll apply for SNAP." A scholarship and welfare aren't the same. Feeding oneself is a basic requirement. But to answer your question, no, I never applied for income based scholarships.
Quoting M4LG5:

Who are you to say they don't have other choices? 

It is a choice if its available?

So....would you NOT apply for a scholarship even if you are eligible? 

Quoting SommelierMom: Yes, you paid $900. I paid $17,500. That's probably around what a typical student pays now, if they don't pay less. These are able-bodied adults, are they not? Utilizing welfare should *never* be a choice, it should be a last resort. But hey, let's keep everyone entitled.
Quoting M4LG5:

$900 is what I PAID for when I went to college. 

They are dedicated but when you don't have very little money, a little help with food stamps is extremely helpful.  Many were choosing to buy books and other things they need for school instead of healthy food because they wanted to succeed. Why are you so obtuse about this?  You really think it's okay for these students to suffer?  An extra $189 for food a month is HUGE for them. 

Quoting SommelierMom: If they're so dedicated, feeding themselves shouldn't be optional. My education cost just under 35K per year at the time. $900 a semester isn't something with which I'm familiar.
Quoting M4LG5:

Making assumptions and judgment without knowledge is really ignorant.

These studens ARE working.  They have jobs, they are also doing research, volunteering, and/or internships in order to make themselves marketable for jobs or graduate school.  Oh....I should also mention that they are former foster youth that made it to college.  10% of foster youth make it to colleg and only 3% graduate.  They have hardships that most people cannot relate to. 

With the cost of education and living, students' experiences today is NOT what we had when we went to college at all.  One semester was $900 when I went to school.  On average, it was $300 for books.  It's more expensive to go to college, pay for books, and rent is extremely high. 

You are assuming they are partying, doing nothing and living off of the system just because i mention "college students".  Only if you knew these students, you would NOT say that. 

Quoting SommelierMom: Those students should be working. When I was in college (not *that* long ago), no one would have EVER thought to use FS. They'd have gotten a job, or a second one.
Quoting M4LG5:

A lot of my college students receive CalFresh (California's SNAP).  They are extremely grateful for this support because almost all of them are independent students and not receiving any funding from family.  They utilize it at the local Farmer's Market and really feel they are eating well.

Prior to their changes in eligibility, students were not eating.  When they were eating, they were eating crap food.  Because they so desperately wanted to succeed in school, they were trading expenses for food for books and supplies.  It got to a point that I had to purchase food gift cards for students just to get by in the next month.

There is fraud in these programs.....yes, I admit....but the percentage of fraud is so much lower than what most people think.  Also, the length of time people are on it isn't that long either.

I truly think reducing spending to this is not where we need to go at all. 

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Feb. 18, 2018 at 5:50 AM

College dorms don't have dorms designed for single parents.  I've seen dorms for married students, and I myself used to live in student family housing as a single mom, but they were separate apartments and they were not on campus.  The wait list to get in to family housing was very long, but rent was quite a bit less than most places.

Quoting Jaysgal426:

What dorms are good enough for our military but not people who need financial assistance? Most of the people getting assistance are single moms. Maybe there are some boyfriend hanging about but they are not husbands and not helping support the family. Whats right for the family needs to come before the boyfriend.

What is wrong with a dorm? I've lived in dorms? Moms can take turns watching each others kids while working and going to school. Moms can share resouces like food and transportation. They can be emotional support for each other. Most important they can save money on housing while their family is living in safe living conditions. 

I should be ashamed becaused I lived in a dorm? Many people relocate from high cost of living areas to low cost of living areas. By moving people from high cost of living areas like NYC to low cost of living areas the country could save money on what they spend on housing people. Plus move people to an area where its easier to transition off welfare and with the money they were saving with dorm living can maybe even put something down on a house.

Quoting Madeyemoody: Dorm like living? What’s next? Nazi germany style ghettos? Maybe make them all wear a big P for poor and you know, let’s just kill them all off? What about the WORKING POOR that have families (mom, dad and kids?) break up that family and toss them in “dorms”, remove them from their homes to do so? Are you fucking kidding me?!
Quoting Jaysgal426:

If he is saving money and this works I see no problem with it. They don't need to be buying a bunch of junk food. And they certainly don't need to be buying cigarettes. And there is proof that people have been trading their food stamp credits and things which is fraud. We are not rich and I add to our low budget diet by buying canned fruit and frozen veggies and things. I am a big proponent of dorm like housing for welfare recipients if it would save us money. Women sharing dorm like rooms with four to a room and kids sharing a room and a shared kitchen and bathroom/shower settings. Moving them out of high cost areas and to low cost areas with public transportation. Taking women out of distracting situations. Women their to help eachother with childcare while attending GED classes on line and working full time during the day and sharing the costs of childcare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)