Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I will be the change...

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM
  • 70 Replies
7 moms liked this
LAKE BARRINGTON, IL - JUNE 17:  Anti-gun demonstrators protest outside DSA Inc. on June 17, 2016 in Lake Barrington, Illinois.  DSA Inc. is a manufacturer of FAL, AR15 and RPD rifles.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Anti-gun demonstrators protest outside assault weapon manufacturer DSA,, Inc. in Illinois

I am standing up and saying to anyone that will listen…We need better, more comprehensive gun control, ownership, and training requirements in this county. We need to start this now. We needed to start this 20-30 years ago in all reality.

Dickman shares that he personally knows people affected by three different mass shootings—the recent Parkland attacks, last year’s Las Vegas tragedy, and the Northern Illinois University shooting from 2008—and we need change to prevent more of these events from happening.

He writes a long proposal of what must be done for American safety: banning assault weapons that are popular among mass shooters, implementing training requirements, and thorough mental health screenings. He knows that it’s a lot of hoops for gun owners to jump through, but he believes that’s okay; it’s worth it.

Is any of this going to be cheap and or easy? Nope. But, if you want to continue to maintain your “right” to keep and bear arms, why would you not be willing to prove your ability to maintain that right? I am. I know I would pass. Any responsible gun-owner should be able to. There are so many other types of guns out there that you can still own and use, we don’t need the military style rifles in the public market.

In a new post the following morning, Dickmann shared that he wanted to do more than just talk the talk. He wanted to walk the walk as a self-proclaimed “responsible, highly trained gun owner” and so he surrendered his AR-57 assault rifle at the Broward Sheriffs Office in Tamarac, Florida. He could have sold the weapon to recoup some of the money he spent purchasing it, but he didn’t want it out in the world. 

I could have easily sold this rifle, but no person needs this. I will be the change I want to see in this world. If our law makers will continue to close their eyes and open their wallets, I will lead by example.

As of this writing, the post has over 49,000 reactions and over 25,000 shares. There are also over 8.6k comments—many of which are from conservatives mocking and denouncing him for daring to say to take a stand against gun violence. Here’s the post below:

by on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seafaith
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:19 PM
6 moms liked this

Now he is a true responsible gun owner! What a fantastic thing to do. I love his "I will be the change".

niceandhappy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:26 PM
6 moms liked this

Responsible gun owners, like this man, are not the problem. Criminals will not be walking into police stations to turn in their guns...ever!

GrayDuck41
by on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:29 PM
That’s a deflection.

Quoting niceandhappy:

Responsible gun owners, like this man, are not the problem. Criminals will not be walking into police stations to turn in their guns...ever!

cupcake7734
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:30 PM
4 moms liked this
I applaud this guy. No one is after your guns, people. Dh and I own two. My point that is that no one outside of the military needs AR-15s, imo. Hunters can successfully hunt with lesser caliber rifles. I know I'll get bombarded with 'but the second amendment says xyz...' I know. This is just my opinion.
GrayDuck41
by on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this
This is good.
It’s sane and civilized.

We need more people like you .
and like this man who wants to “ be the change”

Quoting cupcake7734: I applaud this guy. No one is after your guns, people. Dh and I own two. My point that is that no one outside of the military needs AR-15s, imo. Hunters can successfully hunt with lesser caliber rifles. I know I'll get bombarded with 'but the second amendment says xyz...' I know. This is just my opinion.
bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't own a gun - for many reasons and I certainly feel that these auto and semi auto and the things that make them auto or semi should be banned and prison sentences for those who continue to own them.  I know know nothing about guns, but I know these guns are meant for one thing - killing a lot of people in a short amount of time.  

Quoting GrayDuck41: This is good. It’s sane and civilized. We need more people like you . and like this man who wants to “ be the change”
Quoting cupcake7734: I applaud this guy. No one is after your guns, people. Dh and I own two. My point that is that no one outside of the military needs AR-15s, imo. Hunters can successfully hunt with lesser caliber rifles. I know I'll get bombarded with 'but the second amendment says xyz...' I know. This is just my opinion.

niceandhappy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM
5 moms liked this

Are you worried about a gun owner like this shooting up a school? What did he prove by giving up his gun? What was gained?

Quoting GrayDuck41: That’s a deflection.
Quoting niceandhappy:

cupcake7734
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww, thank you. 😁 My dh is still a hardcore gun owner, and I used to be very anti-gun. I've softened over the years, though.

Quoting GrayDuck41: This is good.
It’s sane and civilized.

and like this man who wants to “ be the change”

GrayDuck41
by on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:42 PM
Yep
They are made for killing.

I don’t have a gun either. I don’t need one. Years ago I went hunting, didn’t like it . That would be the only reason to buy a gun. So I didn’t.

Some say it’s okay to own an AR-15 and try to say that they’re a good hunting rifle. All kinds of lame reasons.
I don’t have any issues with hunting but I do object to assault rifles, and AR-15’s .
It’s really disturbing to think there are so many people in our country who “ need” weapons .
It makes us look bad too.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

I don't own a gun - for many reasons and I certainly feel that these auto and semi auto and the things that make them auto or semi should be banned and prison sentences for those who continue to own them.  I know know nothing about guns, but I know these guns are meant for one thing - killing a lot of people in a short amount of time.  

Quoting GrayDuck41: This is good.

It�s sane and civilized.

and like this man who wants to � be the change�

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM
3 moms liked this

he proved that he is  a human being who puts his money where his mouth is - that is one less gun out there, one less gun that could kill someone by accident or on purpose -  what is gained:  again one less gun, and an example of what others should do.

Quoting niceandhappy:

Are you worried about a gun owner like this shooting up a school? What did he prove by giving up his gun? What was gained?

Quoting GrayDuck41: That’s a deflection.
Quoting niceandhappy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)