Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The High School in Florida had an armed guard present...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM
Sif
  • 58 Replies

MANDATORY CREDIT; AERIAL PHOTO

Students are evacuated by police from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

(MIKE STOCKER/AP)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 12:58 PM

An armed security guard never got the chance to stop the teen gunman who murdered 17 students and staffers at a Florida high school, authorities said Thursday.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that accused mass murderer Nikolas Cruz managed to shoot up the Parkland high school without ever encountering the school resource deputy.

“He was on campus and he was armed,” Israel said. “At this point, the only thing I can tell you definitively is he never encountered Cruz.”

The new revelation emerged hours after the 19-year-old Cruz, a gun fanatic who was expelled from the school, was charged with 17 counts of premediated murder.

by on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
I.Am.Jester
by on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What did he run away or something?  How big can that school be?

DJDNY
by Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:40 PM

I thought I read there was 3000 students.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We can have armed security at the school but, unless there are other policies, these people will still enter and shoot people BEFORE they get shot at.  Even then, there are kids running around so you really are not supposed to shoot with other people in harm's way.  Sure, they may prevent other deaths but how about the goal be ZERO deaths??

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:42 PM

My daughter's high school is 2-story with 4 wings.  HUGE! 

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:45 PM
9 moms liked this

Well that isn't possible as we are told over and over again, a good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very large. With only 1 RSO. If schools feel the need to have an RSO, they need to have 1 per X-amount of students. 

There were armed guards at Virginia Tech as well.

There was an armed guard at Columbine.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

I.Am.Jester
by on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Makes sense.  One guard to cover a school that large...you may as well not have one.

Quoting EireLass:

It's very large. With only 1 RSO. If schools feel the need to have an RSO, they need to have 1 per X-amount of students. 

There were armed guards at Virginia Tech as well.

There was an armed guard at Columbine.

Quoting I.Am.Jester:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM
3 moms liked this
It is impossible for ONE armed guard to be everywhere on that campus. One armed guard at my kids school would basically mean nothing it 2-3 stories depending on where you are 3 wings and multiple outlier buildings.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Well that's. It possible as we are told over and over again, a good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

That's not what we hear though...we are told over and over again that one good guy with a gun is all that it takes.  

Quoting soonergirl980: It is impossible for ONE armed guard to be everywhere on that campus. One armed guard at my kids school would basically mean nothing it 2-3 stories depending on where you are 3 wings and multiple outlier buildings.
Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Well that's. It possible as we are told over and over again, a good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun. 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:59 PM
6 moms liked this
One good guy with shooting range of an active shooter is all it takes. Do people really tell you that a good guy with a gun can stop shootings they aren’t present for?

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

That's not what we hear though...we are told over and over again that one good guy with a gun is all that it takes.  

Quoting soonergirl980: It is impossible for ONE armed guard to be everywhere on that campus. One armed guard at my kids school would basically mean nothing it 2-3 stories depending on where you are 3 wings and multiple outlier buildings.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)