Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BSO: Armed School Resource Officer ‘Never Went In’ During Shooting

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:04 PM
  • 153 Replies

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

PARKLAND(CBSMiami)  — The armed and uniformed school resource officer in charge of taking care of the students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, “never went in” to the building as the gunman opened fire.

That’s according to Broward Sheriff Scott Israel who said when he found out about that, he was left, “devastated, sick to my stomach, there are no words.”

The School Resource Officer identified as Scot Peterson has since resigned.

Sheriff Israel said that after reviewing surveillance tapes and talking to Peterson, he decided to suspend him without pay pending an internal affairs investigation but Peterson decided to resign.

When asked what Sheriff Israel saw Peterson doing in the surveillance video, he said ” nothing.”

“What I saw was a deputy arrive at the West side of building 12, take up a position and he never went in,” said Sheriff Israel.

He said at some point he got on his radio during the ordeal.

Israel said Peterson should have gone in and engaged the gunman who eventually took the lives of 17 people and injured more than a dozen.

by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjmorrison
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Just add to the list of government employee failures. Looks like a Keysone cops movie.

So_Devious20
by Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM
I think this would be many armed officers(in school and such). They probably go into it thinking it's a piece of cake job. It should be.

I know those deaths will haunt him for the rest of his life. If he would have acted, who knows how many he could have saved.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:33 PM
6 moms liked this

Seriously...what the fuck was he meant to do?  Just run blindly towards a man with a semi automatic rifle?  Not knowing where the shooter was, how many there were..I mean what is the man supposed to do.  People can point the finger...I think the Sheriff was harsh in the way he spoke about the guard.

I keep thinking about that Jeff Jeffries video about the guard in the school.."not a lot of wriggle room for Kevin"  Its really quite ridiculous to blame his actions.

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM
8 moms liked this
And they want the teachers armed with handguns?
Quoting turtle68:

Seriously...what the fuck was he meant to do?  Just run blindly towards a man with a semi automatic rifle?  Not knowing where the shooter was, how many there were..I mean what is the man supposed to do.  People can point the finger...I think the Sheriff was harsh in the way he spoke about the guard.

I keep thinking about that Jeff Jeffries video about the guard in the school.."not a lot of wriggle room for Kevin"  Its really quite ridiculous to blame his actions.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

So they can hang them out to dry like this guy. They are effectively putting the lives of an entire school on the back of one guy with a gun?!?!   Yeah bugger that...another reason not to become a teacher.

Quoting LancesMom: And they want the teachers armed with handguns?
Quoting turtle68:

AliasKat
by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM
4 moms liked this

The kill count would have been 18 rather than 17. The resource officer would have just been added to the count.

But sure, we should all just keep saying it's some other reason other than an 18 year old with a legally obtained semi.

Quoting turtle68:

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:50 PM
10 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!!  I was gobsmacked when I watched the Sheriff talking about the guard.  I was like..WTF??  Dude you have no idea what you would have done if you were the only guy there when it was happening.

Quoting AliasKat:

The kill count would have been 18 rather than 17. The resource officer would have just been added to the count.

But sure, we should all just keep saying it's some other reason other than an 18 year old with a legally obtained semi.

Quoting turtle68:

MiniMomma76
by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM
5 moms liked this

On behalf of the Sheriff who made this decision which led to this guy resigning these officers go through extensive training for all sorts of cases including something like this. So this officer wouldn't be just running in there blindly. Not only did he let those students and teachers down, he let his fellow officers down. It is the same this wih the Military if you have a Platoon going into combat and you don't have 100% from everyone in that platoon you are putting everyone else in even more danger going into combat. 

Sure it is a difficult situation, but these people are trained for this sort of thing.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this

YEAH BUT....people with guns are the solution!  RIIIIGHT....

By the way a total of THREE officers are in trouble for not going on.  Not one, THREE.

CORRECTION : the other two officers are on restricted duty while their response to many calls to the house of Mr. Cruz are reviewed.  They were not on site during the shooting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)