Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it look like to have armed teachers? What do they do?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM
  • 107 Replies

A shooter enters the school. 

You are a teacher and you are armed.  

What do you do? 

There are several in this group that are in favor of arming teachers and I'd like to hear from them what it looks like.  

Highly trained or not -- 

What does it look like? 

How do teachers respond? 

by on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM
4 moms liked this

The day I'm asked to carry a gun to teach is the day I retire. In addition, I don't want to work with people with guns either. The SRO is enough. 

AmaliaD
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:35 AM
4 moms liked this
I am a teacher and my school discussed the idea last year.

If that’s the situation the armed teachers (according to what the police told us) would leave their groups and go hunt the shooter. You could only sign up if you were okay with that idea. Hunting the person was shooting and knowing that you can be mistaken for the shooter and get shot by police.

And only the most unhinged most unstable people wanted to do it.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM

I agree with that -- but I want to know what it looks like for those that don't.  

Quoting mjande4:

The day I'm asked to carry a gun to teach is the day I retire. In addition, I don't want to work with people with guns either. The SRO is enough. 

progressandjoy
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I was just thinking about this on my way to work this morning, especially considering the outrage about the resource officer.

When people talk about armed teachers, what is their expectation? Is this a defense tactic only, and they only engage as a last resort, or are they supposed go on the offense and go find and engage the shooter?
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I am a certified children's sports coach. I had to take a class in order to get the certificate. Some of the class covered good coaching techniques, but by far the largest part of the class was about how to avoid being sued. One of the things that was discussed was whether or not people should be CPR certified. The advice was not to become certified, because if you are CPR certified and someone has a problem and you don't jump in and help you can be liable. If you don't have the ability to do the CPR, you can't be held liable.

I bring this up because I think something similar would happen if teachers are armed. Having the ability to shoot might create the responsibility of having to shoot and teachers who don't in any specific instance could be held liable if there is a shooting in their school.

Just another issue to throw into the pot.
progressandjoy
by Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:51 AM
Wow.

What was the plan for the students of the armed teachers? Were they supposed to be locked in a room and left behind? Can you imagine that!

Quoting AmaliaD: I am a teacher and my school discussed the idea last year.

If that’s the situation the armed teachers (according to what the police told us) would leave their groups and go hunt the shooter. You could only sign up if you were okay with that idea. Hunting the person was shooting and knowing that you can be mistaken for the shooter and get shot by police.

And only the most unhinged most unstable people wanted to do it.
hart57
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
This scared me. How many people are brave enough to use a gun on a child (assuming it’s a child hurting students). These are regular everyday people who are teachers. Not all of them are military trained. Plus what happens when the gun is accessed by a student?
Madeyemoody
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I’d keep my students hidden and safe and use my firearm if the shooter entered the area that I was in with my students. I’d shoot to kill to keep the rest of the children safe and I’d do my best to make sure nobody was harmed in the process.
Madeyemoody
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
If it’s a handgun, a side holster under a cardigan or jacket should suffice.

Quoting hart57: This scared me. How many people are brave enough to use a gun on a child (assuming it’s a child hurting students). These are regular everyday people who are teachers. Not all of them are military trained. Plus what happens when the gun is accessed by a student?
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm going to put this here as well.  

How do schools address the insurance issues?  Are they going to throw teachers under the bus when Ms. Jones freezes and doesn't tie a bandana around her forehead and run out into the hallway like Rambetty?  

Who pays for the guns?  How do you address the disparity from district to district if taxpayers refuse to pass funding to provide the training, weapons and security necessary to have these weapons in schools?  

There are teacher shortages around the country  how do you address that issue when teachers decide that they no longer want to teach if arming teachers becomes the policy?  

So far, y'all advocating for this haven't had a lot of answers.  Shouldn't you have some of these answers if you are going to push arming teachers as a solution?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)