Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers Get Free Handouts?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM
  • 130 Replies
3 moms liked this

Image may contain: 1 person, text

I'm not quite sure i understand what she's talking about here. Are the "free handouts" that the teachers have to provide everything but the desks for their classes, including pencils and sometimes even the paper??

Or is it when the teachers have to provide the snacks for their classrooms out of their own money?

Hmm, maybe it's when they have to fight tooth and nail to make more than minimum wage or have any benefits?

Oh right, it must be when teachers have to stay hours later than their pay covers to watch over kids whose parents think they can just pick them up whenever they want to...

For the life of me I can't understand all the anti-teacher crap i see floating around.

by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Yeah, I wonder what she's talking about too.  

Some of those teachers on strike are even trying to make sure their needy students are getting the meals they'd be getting in school -- packing lunches, going door to door, working with the Blessings in a Backpack program.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm curious as to her exact reasoning behind her statement.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I work in Special Ed, the teachers in our classes have to provide everything but desks and chairs. Meanwhile we have the district insisting that our rooms MUST have sensory items of multiple sorts to suit all the kids various needs. We MUST have weighted blankets, compression vests, and other items for the pressure needs of many of the kids. We MUST make sure the kids are fed foods they enjoy to prevent meltdowns, that includes enough snacks to keep them from ever getting hungry in class.

And yet, the district refuses to provide any of these items. The teachers and TAs in the rooms are expected to pay for it all out of pocket and then the district has the nerve to complain when the teachers take it with them when they transfer schools or leave teaching. The teacher in my class has spent over $2k this year making sure our class has everything we need for the kids various needs. Yet she's still being told it's not enough, she needs more. 

If anything it's the teachers giving out the free handouts.

Btamilee2753
by Lee on Mar. 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Wow....I worked off and on in various Special Ed rooms at a local HIgh School for 13 years and any items needed for the safety of the students or those around them did not come out of the pocket of the teachers.  It was not up to the school to provide snacks to any of the SE students, if was their parents responsibility (unless they got free lunch).  The only time food was provided was during our once a week shopping/cooking day for life skills.  That money was provided through the actual school budget (the teachers did not provide the money).  We had various students who needed specialized equipment (computers, Floor mats, changing table, etc) and the teachers were not expected to finance their needs.  

Quoting Arroree:

I work in Special Ed, the teachers in our classes have to provide everything but desks and chairs. Meanwhile we have the district insisting that our rooms MUST have sensory items of multiple sorts to suit all the kids various needs. We MUST have weighted blankets, compression vests, and other items for the pressure needs of many of the kids. We MUST make sure the kids are fed foods they enjoy to prevent meltdowns, that includes enough snacks to keep them from ever getting hungry in class.

And yet, the district refuses to provide any of these items. The teachers and TAs in the rooms are expected to pay for it all out of pocket and then the district has the nerve to complain when the teachers take it with them when they transfer schools or leave teaching. The teacher in my class has spent over $2k this year making sure our class has everything we need for the kids various needs. Yet she's still being told it's not enough, she needs more. 

GrayDuck41
by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM
3 moms liked this
That phrase” free handouts “ is used by conservatives who are famous for insinuating that they’re the only hard workers and that “ liberals “ want free stuff.
First of all, it’s a biased and prejudiced attitude.
Second, I think we all know both conservative and liberal friends and family members who are on welfare, food stamps and Medicaid.
There is no indication that democrats want free stuff or that republicans want free stuff — it’s just a stereotypical way to criticize the opponent.

Teachers buy their own supplies and fund extra activities for their classes , for example, in most cases due to lack of state education funding,
SkippyDo
by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you have an employment problem.  Unless providing these things at your expense is in your classroom, you are not obligated to get them. 

Find a different job.

Quoting Arroree:

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

neither can I - I don't know how many thousands of dollars I spent for my classroom in my 18 years as a teacher.  Not only that but they say I owe them 4,000!  How about you just look at my receipts and then say I owe you anything.  I would never advise someone to become a teacher, not in this climate and not with the pay.  My union sucked as well 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 1:04 PM
10 moms liked this

Maybe just maybe the answer is this: Teachers shouldn't be expected to work for low pay and then pay for all school supplies for their students. I live in WV.  Our teachers are fighting for things that were promised.  Our teachers are expected to make 125 bucks work for all school supplies to all their students.  Teachers can't even ask for parents to provide supplies. 125 bucks doesn't go far in middle or high school when you're teaching 200+ children.  I have a one child in the public school system and always provide what he needs. I also send him items I know teachers will need. Not every parent does this. 

The answer is not "find another job." The answer is, "respect educators and pay them more."  Here in WV we have some great teachers.  We could get more great teachers if we paid them more. We also have 700 teaching jobs open right now. We can't fill them because Ohio and KY pay teachers more and most go there.  So our teachers are currently on day 9 stoppage. Our republican goverment has gone back on their promise of a pay raise, fixing their health insurance,etc. But today they are signing the bills to give all state employees a 5% raise and PEIA task committee has been created.  So our state stood together (day 9 strike and every day all 55 counties stood united throughout the 9 days of stoppage), we had parents, teachers, social workers, etc at our capitol holding our elected officials accountable.  Our state didn't find another job as you would suggest. No.  We stood united even after our the senate president (republican) said,"tax payers do not have a voice in Charleston."  He heard our voices loud and clear.  That is what one does.  We fought and it looks like we will win. IF not...then all 55 counties continue the work stoppage and we will be at capitol again.  

Quoting SkippyDo:

It sounds like you have an employment problem.  Unless providing these things at your expense is in your classroom, you are not obligated to get them. 

Find a different job.

Quoting Arroree:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

The unions here in WV has been 100% supportive of our teachers during this time.  Our county superintendents has even been 100% supportive.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

neither can I - I don't know how many thousands of dollars I spent for my classroom in my 18 years as a teacher.  Not only that but they say I owe them 4,000!  How about you just look at my receipts and then say I owe you anything.  I would never advise someone to become a teacher, not in this climate and not with the pay.  My union sucked as well 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

SkippyDo
by on Mar. 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM

As I stated, employment issues. 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Maybe just maybe the answer is this: Teachers shouldn't be expected to work for low pay and then pay for all school supplies for their students. I live in WV.  Our teachers are fighting for things that were promised.  Our teachers are expected to make 125 bucks work for all school supplies to all their students.  Teachers can't even ask for parents to provide supplies. 125 bucks doesn't go far in middle or high school when you're teaching 200+ children.  I have a one child in the public school system and always provide what he needs. I also send him items I know teachers will need. Not every parent does this. 

The answer is not "find another job." The answer is, "respect educators and pay them more."  Here in WV we have some great teachers.  We could get more great teachers if we paid them more. We also have 700 teaching jobs open right now. We can't fill them because Ohio and KY pay teachers more and most go there.  So our teachers are currently on day 9 stoppage. Our republican goverment has gone back on their promise of a pay raise, fixing their health insurance,etc. But today they are signing the bills to give all state employees a 5% raise and PEIA task committee has been created.  So our state stood together (day 9 strike and every day all 55 counties stood united throughout the 9 days of stoppage), we had parents, teachers, social workers, etc at our capitol holding our elected officials accountable.  Our state didn't find another job as you would suggest. No.  We stood united even after our the senate president (republican) said,"tax payers do not have a voice in Charleston."  He heard our voices loud and clear.  That is what one does.  We fought and it looks like we will win. IF not...then all 55 counties continue the work stoppage and we will be at capitol again.  

Quoting SkippyDo:

Find a different job.

Quoting Arroree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)