Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alexa is laughing at users and creeping them out

Posted by   + Show Post

Ummmm....NOPE!!  I would probably toss it if I heard that in my house.  haha

It's quiet in the house. Nobody else is home and the cat is fast asleep. Then you hear a disembodied woman's voice let out a short, mocking cackle.

No, you're (probably) not being haunted, it's just Amazon's Alexa voice assistant malfunctioning in a profoundly creepy way.

Some Alexa users have reported hearing an unprompted laugh from their smart speaker devices in the last day. The laugh happens randomly, when nobody is using the device, or in response to request to turn on or off lights.

"We're aware of this and working to fix it," Amazon said in a statement, confirming the issue. The company did not elaborate on how widespread the laugh is. In a later statement, Amazon said the device can mistakenly hear the command, "Alexa, laugh."

"We are changing that phrase to be 'Alexa, can you laugh?' which is less likely to have false positives, and we are disabling the short utterance 'Alexa, laugh.'" Amazon said. "We are also changing Alexa's response from simply laughter to 'Sure, I can laugh' followed by laughter."

Alexa's laugh isn't the only thing that's freaking out users. Others have claimed Alexa has stopped responding to requests. One Twitter user said their Amazon Echo suddenly began listing names of local funeral homes and cemeteries, also unprompted.

While voice assistants like Alexa have been welcomed into many homes as fun, family-friendly technology, some people are still unsettled by them.

The speakers use always-listening microphones to detect phrases like "Alexa," and some people worry that they could be collecting additional data that could be used by marketers or even law enforcement. Audio recordings collected by an Alexa device have already been used as evidence in a murder case.

Of course, when voice assistants start acting on their own, it also raises concerns about what artificial intelligence might be capable of. But it's unlikely that Alexa has become sentient and is intentionally frightening users with the laughs. (Probably.)

by on Mar. 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM
Replies (51-57):
fallenangel_353
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:19 AM
Yeah, fuck that.

Quoting LauraKW: Skynet.
GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 7:56 AM
My husband, an absolute technophobe, only carries a phone because he has to do so, but he refuses to have anything but a flip phone. The one he had now has a voice dial feature and the phone and my husband are always at odds because he says or does something that triggers it and then the phone keeps prompting him either to say who he wants to call or it tries to guess. Then my husband gets mad and disables the system but after a bit it turns back on and we have another go round. If we got something like Alexa either Alexa or my husband would have a breakdown.
DavidsMommy6.12
by Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts exactly 😂

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

One word .... SKYNET

*runs away to hide in back of closet*

Aoife_Of_2
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My 9 yr old son got as a present last year a shark stuffed animal that would make chomping and roaring noises. After it going off in the night I took the batteries out ok problem solved.

Nah I hear this blood curdling scream as my son runs into my room screaming its went off again. Sure enough I get to his room and its going off chomping plus roaring. I picked it up still no batteries in it. I threw it away within a black bag. Just as creepy as that Teddy cassette tape bear when I was little. Lol

My son was traumatized from that wouldn't sleep alone for awhile. My brothers say it was because we live in a haunted 1900 farmhouse and I said and I like my haunted house. Haha
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 9:24 AM
That sounds something my ex would do but never do it to try to be funny. Even now, he never remembers a girl's name that is on our daughter's team. Every time it was something different.

Quoting lizzielouaf: Usually he calls her Alexis, sometimes Amanda. I used to think he was doing it to be funny...

Quoting M4LG5:

What does he call her?  hahaha

Would Alexa yell at me to get out of bed to exercise?? 

Quoting lizzielouaf: I said we would never get an alexa...we now have 5. I really like the one in my bedroom. She reads me stories, plays meditation music, wakes me up and she has tells me the weather when I roll over in the morning. My husband keeps forgetting her name and then gets annoyed with her when she does not answer. Alexa was his idea

Sundance8
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM
Thank you! I should look at this.

Quoting highlandmum: In the US you can use set it up through all recipes. I use recipespeak.com you load the skill for it register your account and that is all. It then reads the recipe for you that you have loaded step by step.

Quoting Sundance8: How do you use it for recipes? This Id like to do.

So far we use it mainly for music, and to set an alarm/timer.

Quoting highlandmum:

I use it all the time in the kitchen.  It will read the recipe for me so I do not have to worry about getting my phone dirty or such.  We also will play music through it, DS has his hockey schedule linked to it so it tells him where and when practises and games are.

DS plays games with it, he has a room escape game that he plays.  It will also run 7 minute workouts (never used that one), set timers, add things to my shopping list and they will appear on my list on my phone.

Quoting M4LG5:

hahaha!!  That's funny. 

So, how do YOU use it?  I guess I don't see a need for it but maybe I haven't discovered how it can work for me.

Quoting highlandmum:

We have one and it went off the other day when on the TV the news was asking Alexa a question - it answered the question.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 9, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Creepy, I have no desire to have one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)