Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So..... Have y’all heard the one about Bruno Mars and culture appropriation??

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM
  • 282 Replies
by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM
5 moms liked this
To me, he is emulating the music he was raised in, his style is pretty eclectic, he has lots of different influences. He's also seemed to be pretty open and acknowledging of those influences and respectful of them. I don't know. I think often there is a fine line between appreciation and appropriation, and I think he tends to fall on the appreciative side, without being exploitative, like say Justin Timberlake.

Full disclosure, just a casual fan and I didn't watch the video, just heard a discussion about this on a podcast so that's where I'm coming from.
Madeyemoody
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM
25 moms liked this
I hate people lol! I’m really starting to just hate this whiny ass “I’m so offended” generation. It makes me embarrassed to be a part of it. Who cares where his influences came from, if you don’t like him, don’t listen to him. It’s so simple! But nope, we have to run to YouTube and make a crybaby ass video about how offensive it is and shame on him. Ugh. Sorry for venting haha! Just sick of the crybaby bullshit and safe place whiners that this generation has turned out.
SuG4
by Firestarter on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM
LOL! I thought my dds were punking me when they said Twitter was going nuts after seeing the young lady in the video ranting!!
It’s ludicrous!! I have SO much to say to my ppl!!

Quoting Madeyemoody: I hate people lol! I’m really starting to just hate this whiny ass “I’m so offended” generation. It makes me embarrassed to be a part of it. Who cares where his influences came from, if you don’t like him, don’t listen to him. It’s so simple! But nope, we have to run to YouTube and make a crybaby ass video about how offensive it is and shame on him. Ugh. Sorry for venting haha! Just sick of the crybaby bullshit and safe place whiners that this generation has turned out.
Madeyemoody
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM
5 moms liked this
I don’t even see it as a race or gender thing, I see it as a generational thing. My sister posted a photo of her dinner she made (she’s a god awful cook and gets excited when something looks edible LOL) someone jumped on her Facebook page whining about how she’s a vegan and seeing murdered animal on a plate is offensive. My sister told her so get off my page then!

Quoting SuG4: LOL! I thought my dds were punking me when they said Twitter was going nuts after seeing the young lady in the video ranting!!

Quoting Madeyemoody: I hate people lol! I’m really starting to just hate this whiny ass “I’m so offended” generation. It makes me embarrassed to be a part of it. Who cares where his influences came from, if you don’t like him, don’t listen to him. It’s so simple! But nope, we have to run to YouTube and make a crybaby ass video about how offensive it is and shame on him. Ugh. Sorry for venting haha! Just sick of the crybaby bullshit and safe place whiners that this generation has turned out.
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:47 AM
11 moms liked this

Eminem is white.

He is a rap star.

He too heard crap about being white and doing black art.  His response was to do HIS art, his rap, coming from his experience.

No one "owns" any music.

SuG4
by Firestarter on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM
4 moms liked this
It most certainly is generational, and racial, at least in this case. YouTube has SO many of my favorite songs from the ‘60s, and ‘70s!! Songs that I grew up with. And that’s the music that I love from Mars..... old school style funk and soul.

And in every video comment section of my favorite songs on YouTube, there’s older people who are wondering why we don’t have great music with beautiful or fun lyrics anymore.

Well Mars is answering the call!!

Quoting Madeyemoody: I don’t even see it as a race or gender thing, I see it as a generational thing. My sister posted a photo of her dinner she made (she’s a god awful cook and gets excited when something looks edible LOL) someone jumped on her Facebook page whining about how she’s a vegan and seeing murdered animal on a plate is offensive. My sister told her so get off my page then!

Quoting SuG4: LOL! I thought my dds were punking me when they said Twitter was going nuts after seeing the young lady in the video ranting!!

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM
4 moms liked this

Yeah....that's stupid.  He is bringing back the GOOD MUSIC!!!!!

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's ridiculous
SuG4
by Firestarter on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I just wrote that!! Indeed! He’s bringing back that old school music when young men played instruments.

Quoting M4LG5:

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:52 AM
4 moms liked this
He really is. And hes talented as fuck.
Reminds me of Michael Jackson in his prime.

Quoting M4LG5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)