Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deputy suspended for sleeping on duty Monday at Stoneman Douglas High School

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM
  • 93 Replies
Deputy suspended for sleeping on duty Monday at Stoneman Douglas High School

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

PARKLAND, Fla. -- A Broward County Sheriff's deputy has been suspended with pay after authorities say he was found sleeping in his car Monday while on duty at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 people were killed in a mass shooting last month.

According to the Broward County Sheriff's Office, a Stoneman Douglas student approached a sergeant who was patrolling the interior of the school and said that Deputy Moises Carotti was asleep in his patrol car just after 5 p.m. The sergeant went to the marked patrol vehicle, which was parked on campus in the northwest corner of the 1200 building, and knocked on the window to rouse Carotti, who appeared to be sleeping.

The sergeant notified command and another deputy was sent to replace him, the sheriff's office said.

Carotti will remain suspended pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

The incident came shortly after 18-year-old Zachary Cruz, the brother of gunman Nikolas Cruz, was arrested on campus after he rode his skateboard there despite being warned to stay away. Prosecutors set a bond of $500,000 for Zachary Cruz Tuesday after prosecutors said he has shown up at the campus three times and had been in contact with his brother, reports CBS affiliate WPEC.

The sheriff's office announced they are seeking a risk protection order against Zachary Cruz, which if granted would prohibit him from possessing firearms for a period of time to be determined by a court.

Also on Monday, the Broward sheriff's office announced they had charged a Stoneman Douglas student for allegedly making a threat on Snapchat. The student was hospitalized for a mental evaluation.

Two other students were arrested in unrelated incidents for allegedly bringing knives to campus, the sheriff's office said.
by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
5:00 pm? After school activities??

Sleeping....holy hell.

Seems that department has some issues.
Blackburn3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I still cannot believe Sheriff Israel is still on the job, well not surprised but he should have been fired the day after the shooting at parkland.
niceandhappy
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be very worried if I was the parent of a Stoneman Douglas student! Why is there no protests to have Sheriff Israel resign? Apparently he was elected so he can't be fired, And why is the sleeping deputy suspended WITH pay?

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:19 PM

Kids are pretty upset. I guess some girl brought a knife to school and the shooters brother showed up on campus.

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM
4 moms liked this
With pay??? Screw that! Fire him. Police should NEVER sleep on the job. But especially not at schools, particularly that one, right now. WTF???
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 21, 2018 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Holy hell.

Quoting LancesMom:

Kids are pretty upset. I guess some girl brought a knife to school and the shooters brother showed up on campus.

mel4him
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh gosh please. He is human just like everyone else.

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
How many times you been caught sleeping on your job?

Quoting mel4him:

mel4him
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:51 PM

Have I fallen asleep... yes. Caught... none. Even if I was caught nothing would be said because it doesn't happen often.

Quoting LancesMom: How many times you been caught sleeping on your job?
Quoting mel4him:

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 8:54 PM
4 moms liked this
I am also human and if I were to be caught sleeping on the job, I would face disciplinary action, as this deputy is. There are very few jobs where it is acceptable to sleep on the job, and certainly this is not one of them.

Quoting mel4him:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)