Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Billionaire Republican donor is using his tax cut to help Democrats take control of government

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
SUN VALLEY, ID - JULY 08: Seth Klarman, founder and president of the Baupost Group, a Boston based private investment partnership, arrives for the Allen & Company Sun Valley Conference on July 8, 2014 in Sun Valley, Idaho. Many of the worlds wealthiest and most powerful businessmen from media, finance, and technology attend the annual week-long conference which is in its 32nd year.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

In an interview with the Boston Globe, billionaire CEO and conservative “independent,” Seth Klarman who reportedly donated more than $7 million to Republicans during President Obama’s administration told the Globe he’s fed up with the Republican Party. He says he thinks that the Republican party is so far afield as far as being a political party that can actually run a country, that it is his civic duty to help make sure they are thrown out of power.

He’s given roughly $222,000 since the 2016 election to 78 Democrats running for Congress, according to federal election data from 2017 and a preview of Klarman’s first-quarter donations provided to the Globe by a person familiar with his giving.

“The Republicans in Congress have failed to hold the president accountable and have abandoned their historic beliefs and values,” Klarman said in a prepared statement to the Globe, opening up for the first time about the reasons behind his change in political giving. “For the good of the country, the Democrats must take back one or both houses of Congress.”

The guy is a billionaire conservative so I’m not going to throw him any parades; but he does have a flare for the middle finger.

“I received a tax cut I neither need nor want,” said Klarman, who Forbes estimates is worth $1.5 billion. “I’m choosing to invest it to fight the administration’s flawed policies and to elect Democrats to the Senate and House of Representatives.”

According to the Globe, Klarman has donated to dozens of House and Senate seat races, while also giving a couple million to nonprofits that work on environmental and gun control causes. 

by on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

well someone just woke up to what the party really stands for

LittleLizette
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope he's donating to southern and midwestern House and Senate races because where he lives, Massachusetts, already sends 100% democratic representation.  

ILovemyPaulie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Non issue.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
It’s plausible that he will donate to democrats because his state is totally blue.
Seafaith
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for him.

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:01 PM
Sounds as if he is trying to buy good PR from the Democratic media

2018 will be a bloodbath for the Democratic Party

The math doesn't work for them
LGANDER
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
😂

Quoting Billiejeens: Sounds as if he is trying to buy good PR from the Democratic media

2018 will be a bloodbath for the Democratic Party

The math doesn't work for them
numbr1wmn
by Lina on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

He is not a republican.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM
Eh, his money, he can whatever he wants with it.
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:28 PM

Wait I though hedge funds were bad according to democrats? 

Image result for bernie sanders on hedge fund meme

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)