Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont talk bad about the dead *I[DATE*

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM
  • 269 Replies

as we know barb bush died (yesterday i think) and everyone is giving nice statements and condolences. now there are some people who are using their freedom of speech to state that they dont feel bad, calling her what she was, a bigot, and they are getting shit for it. why is there a hard and fast rule that you dont talk ill about the dead of they were shitty people anyways?

EDIT: This wasnt a post about Bush, it was about freedom of speech and insired by the story they are referencing in the video below. I saw an update on the story and felt like sharing it and good, that is exactly what should have happened.

by on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:41 AM
12 moms liked this

Because it's tacky.

And when you talk badly about someone who other people loved, your words can hurt a lot more people than the intended target of criticism.

MissAndree
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
15 moms liked this
I don't hold that rule. I think that people should be aware of their audience, and remember that the freedom to say things does not mean that there are no consequences to what they say.
PPCLC
by Lisa on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
8 moms liked this
Respect and tact for the family should come first.

Plenty of time later to trash that newly deceased person.
eliptica24
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

so its okay for people to talk shit about charles manso nafter his death, but not some rich white lady who was a bigot? if you live by this rule, you need to apply it to EVERYONE which no does. they give excuses why its okay  for some and not for others.

adding to what you added later, some people loved charles manson... sooo?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Because it's tacky.

mommytoeandb
by Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
I think it is bad form to do it immediately after death. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. After a reasonable mourning period, I see no reason to spout revisionist history.
eliptica24
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM

so this should apply to charles manson as well then? yes?

Quoting PPCLC: Respect and tact for the family should come first. Plenty of time later to trash that newly deceased person.

eliptica24
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

so it is okay for people to shit on all those black people who were killed by police that hadnt done anything wrong to have shit talked about them right after they died, but not a rich white woman?

Quoting mommytoeandb: I think it is bad form to do it immediately after death. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. After a reasonable mourning period, I see no reason to spout revisionist history.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I've never been of the belief that you can't be honest about your feelings.  A person's failings and abusiveness doesn't get wiped clean with their death and IMO not allowIng those who suffered as a result of the person's misdeeds doesn't serve the living. 

My father was a deeply flawed and abusive person.  He hurt a lot of people and did a great deal of damage to his whole family.  Those wounds didn't vanish when he died, but his death did allow healing to begin because we allowed people to talk about what they lost because of him.  

mommytoeandb
by Member on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
WTF?

Quoting eliptica24:

so it is okay for people to shit on all those black people who were killed by police that hadnt done anything wrong to have shit talked about them right after they died, but not a rich white woman?

Quoting mommytoeandb: I think it is bad form to do it immediately after death. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. After a reasonable mourning period, I see no reason to spout revisionist history.

PPCLC
by Lisa on Apr. 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Did he have family? As in, a legitimate family?

There are lines that shouldn't be crossed in opining about a much loved individual like Barbara Bush, for example and again, out of respect for her family if nothing more.

"Freedom of Speech" doesn't additionally grant an individual the 'freedom' from criticism directed at them because of what they've written or said.

Quoting eliptica24:

so this should apply to charles manson as well then? yes?

Quoting PPCLC: Respect and tact for the family should come first.

Plenty of time later to trash that newly deceased person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)