Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waffle House Killer’s Mother: Schools Without Prayer Cause Mass Shootings

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
Early Sunday morning, Travis Reinking, 29, burst into a Waffle House in Antioch, Tennessee and indiscriminately fired his AR-15 rifle at customers and employees. Four people died in the bloodbath. Reinking fled but was finally arrested after a 34-hour manhunt involving about 160 officers.

It emerged that Reinking had a history of bizarre, unsettling incidents. Family members had expressed concerns after he’d exhibited bouts of delusion for months. At one point, Reinking became convinced that Taylor Swift was stalking him and breaking into his phone.

Last July, after another strange episode had Reinking declaring himself a “sovereign citizen” and demanding access to the White House, police confiscated four firearms he owned legally, including the AR-15 he would later use in the Waffle House attack. However, the guns were soon returned to the Reinking family; at the time, Jeffrey Reinking, the killer’s father, vowed to police that he would

“… keep the weapons secure and out of the possession of Travis.”

It will forever be on the elder Reinking’s conscience that he lied about that. According to the BBC and other sources, Jeffrey Reinking gave the guns back to his disturbed, occasionally suicidal son. That illicit transfer is now under investigation.

The dad’s social-media profiles are almost bare, but Travis Reinking’s mother, Judy, has long liked to post messages that are “laced with Christian references,” says Heavy.com. That’s completely unremarkable, of course, except for a 2015 meme that she shared from a Facebook page called Prayer Warriors.

“I don’t remember a single school shooting when I was a kid. What I do remember is our teacher having us begin the day reciting the pledge of allegiance, reading from the Bible and praying. We also had the Ten Commandments on the wall.

Maybe getting rid of those things wasn’t such a good idea after all!”

Maybe. Or maybe, when it comes to preventing mass shootings, those factors aren’t quite as meaningful as, oh I don’t know — not giving firearms to deranged persons, as Judy Reinking’s husband did.

None of the mother’s pious, pretty platitudes kept her son from killing people. For that matter, nor did the God she believes in and presumably prays to. It’s almost as if parents, especially ones who own guns, should rely less on the capricious kindnesses of sky gods, and more on displaying adult, responsible, harm-reducing behavior in the real world.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/04/24/waffle-house-killers-mother-schools-without-prayer-cause-mass-shootings/
by on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:08 PM
We are one of the most christian oriented countries in the world. There are many, many, other countries with less god in them and fewer crimes of this caliber.
Maybe by that correlation then too much religion is the problem.
couture-mommy
by "CMs Angela Rye" on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:16 PM
A mother who is protecting her murderous sons image is nothing new.
Christianity has no place in public education.

Perhaps if she was well off enough, she could've sent her son to Catholic school.
Or... heres a thought: teach religion at home.

But I am aware that this isnt a religion issue. Because... well, look at religion.

Or is this acceptable because its not about Muslims?
EireLass
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Given the age of the shooter, I'm guessing I'm older than this Mom. We didn't have prayer in school or the 10 Commandments on the wall. Nobody I went to school with was a mass shooter either. 

Nobody wants to believe their kids have mental/emotional issues. It seems to always come right back to that.

RaverLady
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM

Too much unreason is the problem. 

Quoting -Celestial-: We are one of the most christian oriented countries in the world. There are many, many, other countries with less god in them and fewer crimes of this caliber. Maybe by that correlation then too much religion is the problem.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like he had two stupid parents.  

LGANDER
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 8:52 PM
I agree .
I was in high school in the 1950’s - no prayers, no religious art work.
No school shootings either.
Society ( people in general) is in trouble but it can’t be cured by “ thoughts and prayers” or school prayers .
The drug problem and lack of involvement of parents result in mentally disturbed kids who grow up as mentally disturbed adults. And they’re ignored.

Quoting EireLass:

Given the age of the shooter, I'm guessing I'm older than this Mom. We didn't have prayer in school or the 10 Commandments on the wall. Nobody I went to school with was a mass shooter either. 

Nobody wants to believe their kids have mental/emotional issues. It seems to always come right back to that.

Lady_Facetious
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 10:02 PM
Such a ridiculous thing to say. Guess she's never heard of Hitler. Or Pablo Escobar.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2018 at 11:44 PM
Fuck this noise.

The dad’s social-media profiles are almost bare, but Travis Reinking’s mother, Judy, has long liked to post messages that are “laced with Christian references,” says Heavy.com. That’s completely unremarkable, of course, except for a 2015 meme that she shared from a Facebook page called Prayer Warriors.

“I don’t remember a single school shooting when I was a kid. What I do remember is our teacher having us begin the day reciting the pledge of allegiance, reading from the Bible and praying. We also had the Ten Commandments on the wall.

Maybe getting rid of those things wasn’t such a good idea after all!”
D-Town
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 3:57 AM

Dad was stupid and should be charged for his involvement. Pulling out a Facebook post from 3 years ago does not make her responsible. Dad is responsible for his part in returning the guns after they were legally taken from his son and the son is responsible for his actions. Mom's Facebook posts play no part in her responsibility. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)