Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student diversity push upsets some parents at Upper West Side school

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2018 at 3:42 PM
  • 34 Replies
A new effort to diversify schools in the Upper West Side of Manhattan — one of the richest neighborhoods in the city — has drawn an angry reaction from many parents.

Local news station Spectrum News NY 1 has posted a video that shows white parents furiously attacking a plan to require all local middle schools to reserve 25 percent of their seats for students who score below grade level on state English and Math exams.
Report Advertisement

The plan is an effort to make schools on the Upper West Side more diverse to reflect the demographics of New York as a whole, as the schools in the area now are predominantly white.

“You’re talking about an 11-year-old, you worked your butt off, and you didn’t get that, what you needed or wanted,” one angry woman said during the meeting. “You’re telling them that you’re not going to go to a school that’s going to educate them the same way you’ve been educated. Life sucks!”

Kristen Burger, an elected member of the Upper West Side Parent Council, tells NY 1 that the plan is intended to address diversity problems in the area’s middle schools, which she describes as “very segregated.”

And NY-1’s video shows middle school principal Henry Zymeck telling many of the parents that he feels hurt by some of their comments.

“There are kids that are tremendously disadvantaged,” he said. “And to compare these students and say, ‘My already advantaged kid needs more advantage, they need to be kept away from those kids,’ is tremendously offensive to me.”
Report Advertisement

Watch the video below.

https://youtu.be/3Jk6TI6nM1M

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/04/25/push-to-boost-middle-school-diversity-upsets-some-uws-parents-#
by on Apr. 25, 2018 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsHMS
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:01 PM
Everyone knows black kids can't learn unless they are surrounded by white kids.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:12 PM
Wow... So now you are supporting segregation?

Quoting MrsHMS: Everyone knows black kids can't learn unless they are surrounded by white kids.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:13 PM
The bigots will not replace us!

Quoting MrsHMS: Everyone knows black kids can't learn unless they are surrounded by white kids.
MrsHMS
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:20 PM
3 moms liked this
I dont know why libberals want to rearrange the world. If they live in the district they go to the school. I was bussed. It sucked. No benefit at all. That is my personal experience. Waking up at 530 to go to a school across town to a high crime area. For What? I was a reciepiant of you liberal ideas on bussing. I would like to say thanks for nothing!

Quoting Bookwormy: The bigots will not replace us!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on the fence about this. I live in NYC and work in a private school in the UWS. Yes, the schools in the area are generally white because the population serving that school is generally white and more affluent. In our own school, we are trying to figure out ways to increase the diversity in the student population and give those from more under-served neighborhoods a chance at attending the school.

I think within the NYC public school system, there is a general disparity in funding and services and education levels based on the location of the school and the population it serves. It's not fair really. I'd love to see more diversity within many of the schools, including the one DD goes to. 

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Everyone knows white schools get more funding than black schools.

MrsHMS
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:54 PM
Touche

Quoting -Celestial-: Everyone knows white schools get more funding than black schools.

codfish
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is a crazy idea.

Give incentives to the best teachers tp teach at disadvantaged schools. Partner with local churches and businesses to improve the school on the ways that upper income parents do through PTAs.

Develop before and after school programs at lower income schools for tutoring but also for structure for kids whose parents are at work.

Here are actual facts.

Bussing doesn't help. My siblings and I were bussed across town and all it did was deter parents from involving themselves or the kids in anything outside school hours.

Being white doesn't make you privileged. I grew up poor with a mom who busted her ass to improve our lives.

Know where privilege really is? Those with money as stated in NY.
ShaMac
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh, as long as they aren't suggesting bussing the kids from the district out to the poorer schools... I dont see a problem with bringing more kids in to the school. It might suck for the kids bussed in though. Sounds like a bullying recipe.
UpSheRises
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM
I’m the kind of asshole who sends my kid to private school so I don’t have to deal with government bullshit like that.

And before anyone calls me a racist...it’s a super progressive school committed to SEED (seeking educational equity and diversity).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)