Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps are nominated for the Kids Choice Awards - What do you think?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM
  • 28 Replies

Do you think they have a responsibility as role models to kids?

How do you feel about the recent news that Michael Phelps was caught smoking pot?

See the article below.

Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps are the hot nominations for the 22nd Annual Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.

mileynom270.jpg

Getty Images

Cyrus has the most noms, spanning the TV, movies and music categories. Beyoncé, Chris Brown and Rihanna are close behind with two nominations each.

Here's a look at other kid-tested nominees: Michael Phelps, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Vanessa Hudgens, Alicia Keys, Daughtry, Katy Perry, Peyton Manning and, of course, the Jonas Brothers.

The award show, hosted by Dwayne "Don't Call Me the Rock" Johnson, will be telecast live from Los Angeles on March 28.

by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
athenax3
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM

As an adult I don't care that he smoked pot, but as a role model he should have...I don't believe that kids should get thier morals and behavoiurs from celebrity figures, but Phelps is unique in that he he is in a position that is KNOWN to be of particular esteem among children, and he knew that and should have handled it better, now he will lose sponsors and money and that is as it should be, he didn't uphold the ethics of his position.

I don't know much about miley, just another britney or any other pop star that gets their start with little girls and then turns into a tart...they all seem the same to me.

mistynights234
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Should he be smoking pot?  Prolly not as its illegal.  Should he be strung up, his medals taken away?  No......he won those medals fair and square.  His whole life had been dedicated to winning those medals.  He is human.  We all have done stuff we should of thought alittle harder about.  Should people in the spotlight be put up  on pedestals?  Should we shame them in front of our children?  I dont think so.  If anything YOU should be the biggest roll model for your kids.  YOU should be teaching  your kids the difference between right and wrong and that people in the public eye are human and make mistakes.  Its the American public that is exposing there children to this.  Not Michael Phelps. 

KathyfromMags.gif picture by Kathys_Stuff

RaggedyAnne
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Michael Phelps is not a role model for kids because his picture shown all over the news. he also lost his commercial deals. 

jennmarie77
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I think we as parents need to be the role models for our kids, not these rich famous people.  I don't think there is anything wrong with using the people to teach our kids.  I think it's good that Michael Phelps came forward and apologized and said he shouldn't have done it, however, I think he should have thought before he did it.  I think the 3 month suspension was a good thing, and the loss of sponsership was a smart move. 

CharmaineL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Don't think celebs in general should be viewed as role models, but they inadvertently become just that.  Lots of girls heart Miley and I can see her appeal, however, I think Michael Phelps was quite irresponsible.  Don't know why, but it seems a lot kids look up to athletes.  He really should make better decisions and/or get some media training!  Or, maybe hire Elliot Mintz, lol. Looking forward to the KCAs! 

athenax3
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I absolutely agree that our children shouldn't use movie stars and the likes as role models, but Michael Phelps is AN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST! The whole point is to be the representative of the American dream! People, particularly children, have always idolized or looked up to the Olympic champions, and in my personal opinion it's a position you know comes with that burden- he should have been more cautious with his behavior-at least in public.

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I really don't think either of them are great role models to look up to, unfortunately though I  see hardly anyone (well ok no one comes to mind) that is place in the "spotlight" as a role model for my kids.  First and foremost my husband and I are their main influences and role models for right now, as they grow I know they will seek others, and our plan is to keep Hollywood type heroes and even other spotlights (sports heroes, including Olympic gold medalist) out of that "hero" role in their lives.  I want the kids to understand that even the people that have success make mistakes, and it doesn't make it right or make them anyone to look up to, they may have great achievements, but that doesn't make their personal decisions something to admire.  Everyone makes mistakes, but there are people whose morals and values will line up more with ours, and hopefully it will help to expose them to those people more then we will be exposing them to the others. 

I think part of the issue is that role models are confused with "hero worship".  "Hero" worship is always a disappointment anyway, a "hero" in your life tends to be someone you make up in your own mind.  A role model needs to be someone you can interact with and grow close to.  Someone that has flaws just as the hero might, but who is real about them and making sure that you don't make the same mistakes, and can share about them at appropariate times, as well as trying to imporove on those mistakes, not living in them continually. 

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Update on the Michael Phelps story:

No Pot Charge for Michael Phelps After Bong Photo

COLUMBIA, S.C. —  A South Carolina sheriff said Monday he was not going to charge swimmer Michael Phelps after a photo of the 14-time gold medalist showed him smoking from a marijuana pipe.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said he couldn't ignore the photo but defended his investigation.

"Michael Phelps is truly an American hero ... but even with his star status, he is still obligated to obey the laws of our state," Lott said.

The photo showed Phelps smoking from a marijuana pipe at a party in November when he visited the University of South Carolina.

Phelps has called his judgment bad and said he would learn from his mistake.

USA Swimming suspended Phelps for three months in the wake of the photo, and Kellogg Co. said it would not renew its endorsement deal with him.

LauraSladicka
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM

We should be teaching our kids morals and values, not the celebrities. But, a mistake was made and there needs to be consequences. Having your sponsors drop you is a consequence. He admitted that he was wrong and apologized. That is what kids need to learn - accept responsibility for your actions, face the consequences, learn from it and move on. You can not be punished forever for your mistakes.

lisaspainhour
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Everyone has made mistakes. Everyone's child will do something we don't approve of. We live & we learn. It's apart of growing up, no matter how old you are. I am a parent and I believe that we are the best role models for our kids but it doesn't mean they still won't go out there one day and do something really dumb. Sit down with your children and talk about what they see on the media. You'll find out a whole hell of a lot! The you can decide if your child is influenced by things easily. Children have opinions too so let's find out what they think and not make all the decisions for them. As they grt older, they will resent you for it. Talking to your kids is key.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)