Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps are nominated for the Kids Choice Awards - What do you think?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think they have a responsibility as role models to kids?

How do you feel about the recent news that Michael Phelps was caught smoking pot?

See the article below.

Miley Cyrus and Michael Phelps are the hot nominations for the 22nd Annual Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards.

mileynom270.jpg

Getty Images

Cyrus has the most noms, spanning the TV, movies and music categories. Beyoncé, Chris Brown and Rihanna are close behind with two nominations each.

Here's a look at other kid-tested nominees: Michael Phelps, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Vanessa Hudgens, Alicia Keys, Daughtry, Katy Perry, Peyton Manning and, of course, the Jonas Brothers.

The award show, hosted by Dwayne "Don't Call Me the Rock" Johnson, will be telecast live from Los Angeles on March 28.

by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Replies (21-28):
.Tiggeroo87.
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Why though? What is so wrong, aside from the fact they are both minors and have been caught in scandals?

Quoting colts118p:

NO I THINK THEY SHOULD BE STRIPED OF THERE CAREERS AND MEDELS KIDS LOOK UP 2 THESE ROLE MODELS AND THE DO STUPIED STUFF LIKE THIS

Zeluva
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM

In my opinion Miley Cyrus is a puke!! She is ugly and just a gross human! I mean, the only reason she is famous, is because of Billy Ray, and he is famous from one lousy song... Not many albums or anything like AC/DC or even George Strait! There is not even a comparison!

Phelps, I used to hate him, but after I found out he likes to get stoned, I love him!!! All my friends and most of my family do it, so hey man!! Give him a medal!! I am with the cigar company wanting to make him their spokesperson, go for it fish boy!

~** I'm an outspoken, bear chasin', World of Warcraft playin', animal eatin', standard drivin', Obama hatin', jean wearin', over textin', finger poppin', nail bitin', burpin' and fartin', Plott lovin', TeeShirt wearin', pop drinkin', animal huntin', and cussin' SOB! If you don't like it, please, call the hotline, join the club, and be sure to order your jackets early, for they are going fast! **~
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Miley's parents should be stepping in on MANY levels when it comes to their daughter. She is growing up, yet she is STILL a child in many levels and despite being a teenager.

Young girls still look up to her and I don't see where a Teen Choice Award nomination is that far off the mark.

With Michael Phelps, however, it's a different story. This is not his first batch of troubles, and despite his pleas and apologies (which I personally see as MORE an attempt to bring back good PR for himself and his career), he screwed up. Were this man not a role model to kids, I could not care less that he had smoked weed.

But he is one and I'm sorry, but his nomination for a TCA is wrong.

charding273
by New Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Quoting jennmarie77:

I think we as parents need to be the role models for our kids, not these rich famous people. 

I agree--

.Tiggeroo87.
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM

You support minors smoking pot, but you are against a teen girl releasing inappropriate photos to the media?

Double standard much?

Quoting Zeluva:

In my opinion Miley Cyrus is a puke!! She is ugly and just a gross human! I mean, the only reason she is famous, is because of Billy Ray, and he is famous from one lousy song... Not many albums or anything like AC/DC or even George Strait! There is not even a comparison!

Phelps, I used to hate him, but after I found out he likes to get stoned, I love him!!! All my friends and most of my family do it, so hey man!! Give him a medal!! I am with the cigar company wanting to make him their spokesperson, go for it fish boy!

suite_lady
by Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I watched the Grammys and was HIGHLY disappointed. She was boring, dull and ordinary. She'll be a has been in the dollar bin soon. As far as Michael Phelps, he's human, EVERYONE of us has faults. I say YAY him..NAY her..dull and boring, just like her has been dad with the bad wig doo.

DancingBettyBoop.gif Dancing Betty Boop image by mtnterry

julie.r0cks
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Quoting whisperindragan:

nobodys perfect..  

julie.r0cks Moms with OPEN Minds Debate Group  Admin

Tell these people something about me that they don't already know.

julie.r0cks
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Quoting amandae21:

How is Miley called out for being a bad influence but the girl who sang a song about bicuriosity and the guy who beat up his girlfriend were left out?

Kids don't even know what pot is (or they shouldn't anyways), and I don't even know what Miley could have done to have scored a bad rep (aside from that one little dance she did on whatever awards show it was that was geared for ADULTS).

singing about bisexuality is bad?

i don't think the photos of miley were a big deal. eh.

julie.r0cks Moms with OPEN Minds Debate Group  Admin

Tell these people something about me that they don't already know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN